Do you use hot or mild sausage in lasagna?

I use whatever seems to be abundant in the freezer when I make Lasagna(e). Hot or sweet sausage, ground beef or pork or a combination of any of the above. It’s all good. However, I do make my own sauce & that stuff would make a boot taste delicious.

1 Like

I use Hazan’s recipe which is “nothing” but Bolognese, bechamel, lasagna noodles and Parm.

I use both…I remove from casing, brown, and distrubute during the assembly process.

1 Like

My all time favorite lasagne recipe is still from Halpern and Strands “The Good Food, soups, stews and pastas” from the mid-80s.

Fun book, possibly dated but general public rave reviews on recipes.

Sausage, spinach, ricotta and tomato. Never had a compaint. Usually a mix of hot and mild from DePasquale’s in Nonantum, Newton.

Try it, what the hell.

I usually do a mix of sweet Italian sausage, squozen out of their casings and broken up with some ground beef until everything is finely crumbled and cooked. Sliced and sauteed mushrooms sometimes get added to the mix as well.

Same here, but I do 1/3 veal, 1/3 beef and 1/3 pork

I’m cheap :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, here’s the lasagna made with the hot Italian sausage. I’m waiting for it to cool before I have some. I tasted the sauce earlier, and it wasn’t too spicy, just a little heat to make it interesting. I hope I can manage to make it last through the blizzard!

5 Likes

Looks awesome!

1 Like

Delicious !! Enjoy!!

1 Like

That lasagna looks great. FWIW, I use tons of different approaches, whether it is lasagna or chili. Sometimes hot sausage, but then some additional red pepper flakes - and fennel seeds if the sausage is lacking.

Only you can really answer what you’d like it to taste like!

Have fun and try lots of things.

1 Like

I don’t usually make meat lasagne at all, but when I do I usually do use sausage. The only reason I don’t generally do the hot sausage is that Mr Rat is a nelly when it comes to chiles and such. I just made a sausage and spinach lasagne a couple of days ago which we’ve almost all entirely eaten. Think maybe I’ll do a pumpkin one or a cheese and greens one for the “big snowstorm” the hysterics on TV keep screaming about.

I use both, totaling a pound, browned and added to the cheese filling. Here in NY, it’s very common to use it either in the sauce or the lasagna filling, IME, ground meat or sausage. I also add very well squeezed frozen chopped spinach in mine.

i grew up in brooklyn, but as long as i have lived in and around boston CANNOT find good sausage – decent at best. are these good to great? i’d make a trip for that.

op: my family usually put hot sausage in lasagne. it was cut in small pieces and browned. we also put tiny meatballs (polpettini) in there.

1 Like

Well, I’ll be a monkey’s aunt. It IS a huge snowstorm. And not a minute too soon. Mr Rat nixed the lasagne though since we just had one.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s an American thing? I’ve never heard of sausage being used in New Zealand or Australia.

Americans generally have no qualms adding all kinds of different meats to dishes. A good example would be a national “pizza” chain’s Meat Lover’s pie… tho I’d be tempted to put the “meat” in quotation marks as well :mask:

3 Likes

hotoynoodle, have you tried Karl’s Sausage in Peabody?

http://www.karlssausage.com/

i haven’t. i know it’s a favorite but my inherent bias for sausage is italian, not german. is it worth the trip? i am on the north shore once or twice per week.