Do You Send Food Gifts For The Holidays?

10 Likes

Thanks @greygarious! I ordered some of these and they came yesterday and are FABULOUS! A bag for me and one each for 3 friends, we are all going to be happy campers!

4 Likes

My family continues the tradition of making my Grandmother’s toffee every year (but I long ago stopped making her pulled peanut brittle). We have three family members that get their candy mailed, so I guess I technically do send food gifts! At the office, we get a lot of cookie baskets, See’s candy, wine, and the ubiquitous fruit and summer sausage packages.

3 Likes

If you don’t mind sharing, I’d be so excited for the toffee recipe! My dad loves it, and I was thinking I should try making some one of these days…

I am delighted that YOU are! Which ones did you order? One of.my favorite afternoon breaks is a cup of Constant Comment tea, a shortbread cookie, and an Apricotking dried pear or three slip-pit dried apricots.

1 Like

I got the Slip-Pits because you said they were the best. Hands down the best dried apricots I’ve ever eaten. Delicious!

3 Likes

Pressed shortbread cookies as designed by our mother 60+ years ago!

12 Likes

Every time this source comes up I’m tempted, but can’t forget my local sources. They sure are prettier than the un- sulfured Blenheims I get from nearby Capay valley, and packaged by a company in my town. Besides appearance, what is better?

To me, they have the best flavor and best texture of any dried apricot I have ever eaten. They are velvety soft and rich and intensely apricot flavored and completely amazing. I gave them to a friend today who is a dried apricot aficionado and she went nuts and concurred they are the best ever.

2 Likes

I believe Apricotking has both sulphured and un. The slip-pits gain added flavor from the pit remaining in the uncut fruit while it dries.

The first time I ordered slippies, I was confused because while the website described the pits being removed from the dried fruit, mine still contained them. I wondered if they were slipped in AFTER drying. Turns out that a batch was accidentally overlooked, but these were actually even better than the proper slippies. They tasted like they’d been infused with a bit of amaretto. I always ask if they are available - sometimes they are, but rarely. Since amaretti cookies get their almondy flavor not from almonds but from apricot kernels, this makes sense. Stone fruits are related to almonds, and I choose not to fret about laetrile.

2 Likes

@GretchenS @greygarious thanks! I’m going to check them out sooner or later.

1 Like

Wow! You could open a shop!

1 Like

This year, this thread is so far homemade food. Food related theme here.

I got us a cocktail shaker set. Husband got us an ice cream machine. Sugar overdose! :scream:

The texture of the first verbena apple lime sorbet was much superior to our old maker with pre-frozen bowl. Need to find more gelato and ice cream recipes!!!

3 Likes

I would never say that either!

1 Like

Why not? I like to provide high quality presents. And if it is the special from Fish and Caviar, it’ll be the best surprise for me. And, I hope, for my friends and relatives, as well.

2 Likes

Just one of many food gifts we received this year. My friend doesn’t celebrate Xmas, per se, but makes these every year. Too cute to eat.

4 Likes

Reason for delayed mailing of food gifts this year…

8 Likes

North Carolina Food Haul

Outsourced the photography - bad idea. What you can’t see clearly is a rub, some hot sauce & BBQ sauce. The Dishing Charlotte magazine is the inaugural edition, nice little glossy. This was all gifted to us by our great friends. Not pictured is the stuff I haven’t ordered yet - Duke’s Mayo, Carolina Gold Rice, maybe even a big jug of peanut oil. Peanut oil is very pricey here & comes in small bottles. Even in the Asian markets, surprisingly. Oh and I want to get some Autrey’s Fry Mix.

4 Likes

35 lb of peanut oil from Costco, Kirkland brand is $25.00
Have a collection of large empty Ciroc Vodka bottles, so they are transferred there for easy handling.

Thanks @ccj, but the Costco’s out here don’t carry it. It’s worth double checking though.