Do You Send Food Gifts For The Holidays?

If you are looking for Cajun stuff you should check out Cajun Grocer. We get our Cajun Chef Louisiana hot sauce from them. Shipping charges can be a little high though.

3 Likes

@Saregama, thanks for the heads up. I will take a look!

@paryzer thank you. I really liked a Cajun Sunshine hot sauce I bought many years ago.
I will take a look at the site.

You’re welcome @Phoenikia. They have a huge selection of Cajun items. We usually get a case of the green hot sauce. It goes great on pizza or in gumbo. Good luck!

1 Like

Can I be on your guest lists! :yum:

I like your oven, the separation grills and sliding system look pro. Which brand and model are you using?

1 Like

Hi @naf, I’m away from home til Monday night, but will let you know the model number when I get home. It’s a Fischer Paykal (DCS) wall oven, made in New Zealand. We’ve been really happy with it. The range has a bigger oven, same manufacturer though.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve a look at the range, good ones indeed.

What are separation grills? The sliding system is what the racks move in and out on?

Also, has anybody successfully mailed chocolate truffles? I’m guessing the odds are better in the winter.

www.caganer.com

1 Like

Exactly! Wasn’t very awake when I wrote.

1 Like

How about preserved lemons , in a vacuum sealed bags, or sous vide? I’ve sent my siblings preserved lemons in jars before, but I’m wondering about sending the vacuum sealed bags with the lemon and salt, maybe jars in the shipping box, but letting them pour into jars with additional lemon juice.

Here is a recipe for sous vide preserved lemons “confit”. It has sugar.

Sous Vide Preserved Lemons
This one is interesting.
“Preserved lemons the quick way”.
“as much as I respect these writers i don’t think we should be cooking the lemons to get a result, otherwise we may as well confit the lemons rather then using the older preserving methods.”.

Inspired by the handiwork of @pilgrim and @aussieshepsx2, this year I finally tried my hand at holiday nut rolls (poteca) for the first time.

These loaves go by many names that vary with the Central European country where a family has roots. They’re popular and traditional In Western Pennsylvania: Pittsburgh nut roll anyone?

I wanted to make nut rolls for friends to taste. So I made minis and coiled them. Downside was that after the yeasted dough rose, my nut rolls simply looked like rounds. Also the distribution of the walnut filling wasn’t ideally even.

After my husband and I sampled a test roll—a.k.a. a stunt roll—I realized that adding a powdered sugar-milk-vanilla glaze and a dusting of walnuts on top could be the remedy. Success! I’d add a glaze and nut topping again when we want a fancier, richer roll.

Recipe here. Really friendly for this first-timer and there’s even a video: https://www.browneyedbaker.com/nut-roll-recipe/ This recipe is also richer than the frugal rolls I grew up with, in which the filling was extended by ground cornflakes and too dry for my taste. I halved the recipe for 8 mini rolls, though next time I’d just make 4 traditional sized ones in jelly roll shape.

While the dough can alternatively be filled with poppyseed or prune (lekvar) filling, I thought my friends would enjoy walnut the most.

All you holiday bakers and makers, I salute you! I can imagine my grandmother smiling.

12 Likes

Awesome gifts I was lucky to receive from my cousin.
Soma Catvent calendar (from a Toronto chocolate shop)
Rancho Gordo posole set and beans.

Sorry for not rotating first, before uploading!

7 Likes

Fixed!

1 Like

Thank you, @naf

1 Like

The cat calendar is cute! Is it for your cat?

1 Like

Nope, it’s filled with chocolates. A different flavour each day. Just a cat themed advent calendar.

2 Likes

Haha, I will finish it in 2 days!

2 Likes

I picked it up at the chocolate shop on the 15th, because I’ve been out of town, so I had some catching up to do! But I don’t open the little door on the calendar before the day comes up.

2 Likes

For my spiced nuts gifts;
Spice Up Your Holiday With Three Spiced Nuts Variations

I think I’m going with Mexican-Spiced Chocolate Pecans Recipe

1 Like