Do You Send Food Gifts For The Holidays?

It seems they do not carry it year round. They start carrying it around thanksgiving bec a lot of their consumers fry their turkeys. I used to buy the 35 lbs from Walmart or Nick’s the Italian store but they only carry it during the thanksgiving season. They are over $45.00 compared to Costco’s price.

1 Like

Normally, I make and can jams in the late summer, for holiday gifting and shipping. This year was so nutty, I did not. But. For local folks I made a few fast batches of jams using local berries or dried fruits and managed to make enough to give away in LA, with the “Put it in your fridge immediately!” warning.

Folks were so happy, I need to get back to my canning game next year, so I can ship.

2 Likes

I would always prefer to have any kind of consumable gift to something that I don’t want or need and is going to get stuck on a shelf! We make an almond-dark chocolate-sea salt brittle each year and send some around, and keep little boxes of it on hand for last minute gifts. It seems to go over well.

PS- if anyone ever wants to send me cheese, bring it on!

6 Likes

I got a bag of the regular apricots from Apricot King this week. The slip pits are definitely better tasting than the regulars. Though the regulars are half the price. The tradeoff!

1 Like

There are a few things I splurge for, slippies being among them. The very first time I ordered them, there was a double mistake. Not having had them before, I didn’t realize it. Somebody had left the pits in, and sent these non-slippies to me. They are even better - I’m talking WAY better. They have a strong amaretto-like flavor, because amaretti are made from apricot kernels. Whenever I order, I ask if there are any pit-ins, but it’s a rare “slip-up”, so they seldom do.

2 Likes

Canadian Thanksgiving is this weekend, and I’ll be sending some gifts to some loved ones.

Since COVID struck, I’ve sent some gifts through these various online shops.

A Prantl’s burnt almond torte through Goldbelly

some dark chocolates from Recchiuti

A Nashville box from Batch

This Made in TO box
https://www.foodiepages.ca/products/made-in-toronto

This Healthy Snack Box

I also sent a box of several things I found on Mouth- cured meats, nuts, nut butter, soy sauce. https://www.mouth.com

3 Likes

Occasionally, 1880 Brand Nugget, called " Turrón " is a fave of most Spaniards …

We have dear friends in the Madrid Capital and friends in Lisbon, as well as Italy. So yes, we do send a box of turrón or a lovely little book …

2 Likes

Interesting question…during covid. Do we send homemade items to people? Husband doesn’t eat anything not made in our home, stringent indeed. We have not shared any food with neighbors since covid began, not knowing their thinking. I guess I won’t make poteca for more than immediate family this year.

4 Likes

We send Nuts and Chews from See’s Candies to ourselves and others…I don’t bake. I don’t pack and send goodie boxes anymore. See’s also had a lovely Brittle and Crunch box a few months ago but are sold out.

3 Likes

We’re in a dilemma this year; typically we send jams, baklava and a few other Greek Pastries.We mostly send to family and close friends. Also H’s colleagues start asking about the baklava around this time every year. I’ve decided I’m going to ask everybody flat out if they want the pastries - of course telling them I take no offense if they want to take a pass. I’ll let H ask the people he usually gifts. If nothing else, the jam will be sent, as friends and family depend on it. That’s why we make so much! Will keep you posted on the pastry items.

6 Likes

Exactly our concerns.

1 Like

I can’t do it anymore. I used to, family recipes - people would fight over the cookies and jams they received. Those days are gone. But the new generations don’t send me care packages. WTF is up with that?? No one taught them how to pass the baton. Would probably be bacon bits cooked in frozen chocolate sh!p cookie dough.

5 Likes

I do confess, it seems to get harder every year. I totally get what you’re saying about passing the “baton”. I have a feeling we’re going to have an absolute glut of unused batons…

3 Likes

I plan to drop off baking for friends at Xmas this year. I have never mailed my baking.

I’m going to try vacuum sealed preserved lemons instead of sending them in bottles this year. Bottles are heavy AND scarce.

4 Likes

I sent a care package from Zelos this week.

3 Likes

We are not sending food gifts this year.

Books only ! My daughter in laws said, no sweets and no toys ! The boys can open a toy store ! BOOKS ONLY !!!

And so be it … BOOKS ! OR PDFS !!!

3 Likes

My husband’s cousin and his wife love my cashwe brittle. This year they won’t be visiting (thanks pandemic) so I’ll be mailing their annual allotment. It ships well. I’ll also be including some jelly from the last batch. They are always well received.

9 Likes

I will plug lemon curd as a gift idea.
It’s easy to make and it tastes delightful on pound cake, English muffins, graham crackers, etc. And the really nice thing is that you can freeze it, so if your giftee doesn’t want to eat it right away, they can freeze the jar and save it for later!

4 Likes

My cousin sent me a big box of ingredients from the Mala Market for Xmas.

6 Likes