Do you replace your dish sponge every week ?

I have always used dishcloths. People buy them, use them, make them. There are innumerable patterns for crocheted and knitted ones made from cotton yarn, and recent years saw the arrival in craft stores of “scrubby yarn”, for the purpose of making them.

1 Like

That weedhopper is known as the “rosebud” position in the veddic compendium:

An instructor can help you reach this position for several hundred dollars worth of lessons.

30 minutes of gamma irradation with Cobalt 60 should also do the trick of killing everything in the sponge:

If you don’t want to do this yourself you can send it out:

Or, if you have a lot of sponges to do at one time:

2 Likes

If sponges are so scary, then what about using dish washer brush?

‘Zactly. We use a hideous plastic brush as a backup to the cloth and my husband says, ’ Hand me the dishcloth. No, not that one, the pink one.’ (He means the brush).

Of course this thread potentially opens wide the old divide between the spray-rinsers and the dippers.

1 Like
  • 1 Spray rinsers please!!!
1 Like

Update

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/09/11/548926054/can-you-really-not-clean-your-kitchen-sponge

Your daughters are so cute. You must be very proud.

1 Like

Glad you survived Irma!

Awww, they cook too.

1 Like

Yes They Do!!!

Fun thread!

Hope I don’t derail it to ask you guys a question that my SO and I differ on …

LAUNDERING KITCHEN DISH TOWELS IN THE SAME LOAD AS DIRTY UNDERWEAR… ON “WARM”

Yes or No?

No. On HOT I’d be ok with it,

I"m pretty sure there have been times in my life where I used dirty underwear to wash or dry my dishes so…

(Don’t even get me started how many times I’ve used dish towels when I’ve run out of clean underwear)

3 Likes

Yes. I don’t even understand what the issue could possibly be here.

I counted the months, maximum 5 months Scotch-Brite type of sponge, but at times around 4 months, the yellow side started to degenerate and pieces falling out. Given the fact that I cook my lunch at home too.

I fill the small side of the sink with water, Clorox, and dish soap, and add my sponges, their holders, dish brushes, scrubbers, and all that stuff, and let it sit overnight. I compress the spongy things so the water can get into the little interstital spaces. Then I rinse them, dry them, and use them. No electricity required. I do it every week or more if there’s been something more bacterial than usual in the sink

2 Likes

Don’t mix dish soap and bleach.

2 Likes

Why not?
You shouldn‘t mix ammonia and bleach, obviously, but dish soap and bleach is fine