Do you replace your dish sponge every week ?

Here’s an article that likely shares its source with the radio report you heard. The takeaway is that cleaning a sponge by microwaving or dishwashing it is worse than ineffectual, it’s actually “similar to how people can encourage antibiotic resistant bacteria if they don’t follow the doctor’s orders” by taking their full course of medication. Except that that particular theory doesn’t hold water, according to this.

So! I don’t know what the hell to believe. Still not planning on replacing my kitchen sponge every week, though.

3 Likes

New category: Did you ever bathe with your dish sponge?

At the temperature a wet spong is brought to in the microwave it’s unlikely that many organism will survive

1 Like

The “new study” you linked to is from 2007. It’s possible that this newer study (it was published last month) relies on more up-to-date research, to whit: “microwave and boiling treatments were shown to significantly reduce the bacterial load. However, results were contradictory, for example showing effectiveness in the laboratory, but not in used kitchen sponges, and no method alone seemed to be able to achieve a general bacterial reduction of more than about 60%.”

And here’s where I repeat that I don’t care, and I’m still keeping my sponges until they either dissolve or become sentient. And if it’s the latter, they can clean their* damn selves.

*them? “their” looks wrong

1 Like

Long article and lots to wade through. I only saw the mention of heating in the microwave but didn’t see specifics of methodology, how long where they held at what temperature

The NYT chimed in yesterday, explaining the report in layman terms.

1 Like

So sounds like bleach is the preferred method

1 Like

Funny stuff, in the last fifteen minutes of the hour: This week’s episode of the comic public radio quiz, “Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me”, touched on this. They also reported that blowing out the candles on a birthday cake is like rolling it on the floor before slicing it. I never thought about this and now it gives me the squicks, even though I am not remotely a clean freak. People eat the cake immediately after it’s been blown on. We’d recoil if someone sneezed directly onto our dessert…but don’t think about it at birthday parties. Let’s just hope the flame zaps those pathogens! :hushed::mask::birthday:

1 Like

In Korea at most meals there’s some kind of communal soup in the middle of the table that gets shared. That means everyone is taking their saliva covered spoon and dunking it into the same liquid and redipping over and over through the meal. Absolutely horrifying by American standards but somehow those people seem to be alive and functioning.

2 Likes

No, cause Helga usually gets there first:

3 Likes

Back when my grandmother was washing dishes, I doubt most kitchens even had sponges. My mother learned from her. I learned from my mother. (My mother did have one of those weird “dish mops” made from a really cheap spongy material in a bursty patern at the end of a plastic handle. It was pretty useless.) I find the cloth much better than the other stuff. (I do also use a scrubbing pad if needed.)

1 Like

I would just further add that the best household biocide is Chlorine Bleach. It will kill anything, including all bacteria, molds and viruses.

It works so well that it is actually what the CDC uses to clean up accidents in biohazard level 4 facilities (Ebola monkeys, etc.)

3 Likes

I would agree and have bleached on occasion but the lure of the microwave was strong

I’ll just leave this here…

Doing my job as moderator here, but this NY Times article has been posted by @small_h first here: Do you replace your dish sponge every week ? .

The same article has been mentioned 3 times in this post! @NotJrvedivici @Bookwich naughty kids that need a bit of spanking. Read, read and read!

1 Like

Nothing wrong in my mind with eating one course and then another in the same bowl. Sometimes I’ll scramble eggs in a bowl, cook them and then eat them from the same (unwashed, unrinsed) bowl. That’s only when I’m alone of course and I wouldn’t want to be served that way in a restaurant.

1 Like

But it published August 4! How did everyone get to it before me? :flushed:

I’ll be more careful. :wink:

Blowing air out of your mouth is not the same as sneezing mucus out of your nose. If minute water droplets from your mouth are that big a problem then you shouldn’t let anyone talk at the table either (samples in forensic labs can become contaminated from the DNA of the the lab techs talking while working, for example, if they don’t wear face masks) . Even worse I suppose would be laughing, which also propels moist air from your mouth across the table.

In any case I just don’t see it.

1 Like

Catching up here so I may be rolling back to a much earlier post.

The last time I could touch my toes was 1968. If I could lick my butthole, whether I actually did it or not, I would be very happy.

2 Likes

Of course you can also soak the dirty annoying smelly sponge in gasoline and set it on fire:

That’ll kill all the germs as well.

Where I come from this is known as a viking funeral.

4 Likes