Do You Like Houseguests Using Your Kitchen?

Yah, on the flip side I don’t want to stay at someone’s house. Having to be polite and social 24/7? A holiday for us is a hotel or Airbnb and showing up for whatever the host/ess has planned for the day.

4 Likes

Okay, after I posted my grumpy opinions I read more of others’ lovely, happy-to-have-everyone-in-my-space opinions. I feel like more of a grumpus and now antisocial too. I’m really not. I swear. :relaxed: I love entertaining and making people happy, and I don’t have a problem with people touching or using anything I have and please feel free to do my dishes (unless you’re one of @meatn3’s mom’s caregivers :wink:). I just have a real problem with space and people hovering when I’m cooking. Idk why. Oh, and staying at hotels gives us a chance to decompress from the HUGE, really fun, but chaotic family functions.

Okay, that’s enough confessing from me this weekend. Looking forward to seeing what everyone is cooking this month!

8 Likes

I don’t think you’re grumpy OR antisocial- in fact you don’t scare me one bit :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. It is a hindrance having too many in the kitchen trying to help, especially in smaller spaces. My problem is I get too distracted and have a hard time staying on task and meeting timelines. I def do best by myself or with DH since we’ve been cooking together a long time now. But I do try to roll with things, which sometimes means a time-out and a little more wine…:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

This is reminding me that I am neither traveling to, nor having anyone in my kitchen for Thanksgiving. I’m doing Thanksgiving for two, when I am usually in the MIL’s kitchen helping her do it for 30!

I’m thinking about starting a thread, but I think about a lot of things.

Thanksgiving Dinner Menu for Two

1 Like

If you start it, I will probably join. Don’t have the Thanksgiving culture here, but for 2, at least I can manage to have some fun.

2 Likes

Doing it! Couldn’t get excited about sheet pan dinners, but this might be interesting.

Hahaha, thanks @Lambchop!

You describe my feelings and thoughts on this matter exactly.

HA!! So true!!!

I am looking for the complaining about other people cooking thread. I don’t know if this is it, but I can’t hold it any longer. I think @Saregama had one too.

I am happy to have someone sharing the frustration of meal planning and cooking on the daily, but I bought a tri tip this morning to grill tonight, without realizing it was not my night, and that tri tip has been boiling ( not simmering) for more than an hour.

A tri tip!

Fortunately it was on sale, but one of the last two.
I don’t think I can go on! I’m going to try the serenity prayer.

Serenity Now!

6 Likes

Wow!

1 Like

Uh oh @shrinkrap - I feel your pain.

Was cooking a special batch of chicken Marsala that I was taking to work for a friend’s b-day; an out of town friend was over when this was happening. I cooked the chicken, and when it was done, I put it on a plate & covered while the ample sauce was reducing slowly. After taking a quick shower, and checking on it, discovered she’d helpfully put the meat back in and it was, yes boiling away. Couldn’t help it, but I did react, took it out again, and proceeded. I really hate overcooked proteins, and of course my plan was to put it back in at the end to warm through. Yikes!

ETA: there is another thread called Crazy making in the kitchen due to a spouse/partner/roommate - something like that.

3 Likes

Its been boiling for 2.5 hours. Would it be out of line to offer the slow cooker? To save gas.

FWIW, husband’s family has had patience with me and my “undercooking”. A "dry brine " has become part of the Thanksgiving tradition.

Oh no, may I suggest meditation or deep breathing?? Maybe Calgon, take me away? @shrinkrap. It’s not the easiest thing, but I’m hoping you don’t have to pretend to like dinner…

2 Likes

I’m laughing - but in commiseration, not at you!

4 Likes

I feel your pain, @shrinkrap, there are days like this, just don’t be too harsh on yourself.

Cooking frustrations… Today I heated up a pot and forgot about it on the induction hob, then thinking it was cold, I touched the side of the pot to lift it, I had it in my hand high up in air and realized it was so hot, I wanted to throw the pot away, but my brain stopped my instinct as it would mean breaking the glass top of induction. I gently put it down and rushed for ice. H was nearby, he didn’t see anything and complained about the sound of the pot hitting the glass and only worried I was about to break the cook top…

4 Likes

Glad I can bring it here. It’s being checked on now.

1 Like

How’s your hand @naf? Hate it when that happens, hope the burn isn’t too bad.

1 Like

Thanks @Lambchop, it’s alright. Skin seems harder than normal, a bit grilled I guess, but not painful.

3 Likes

Ouch. Hope it heals fast.

1 Like

Thanks! Christina