Do you bake bread regularly?

I can’t wait to try it. First I am going to attempt Parker House rolls for turkey day.

I liked baking but haven’t been able to in several years. My reasons for not baking more:
(a) - even the no-knead recipes require being home >1 hour before dinner in order for the bread to do its second rise before baking
(d) - don’t often have enough fridge space to keep dough

My starter has started. It is one of the great ironies of T-Day… I bake fresh bread, and then force it to get stale so it is ready for creating cubes for stuffing.

2 Likes

Looks like I’ll have plenty of time to bake bread. Just got laid off!!!

Oh no!!

I grabbed about 3/4 cup of the bread dough to make a small boule for our dinner. The rest was divided, shaped as batards, and then baked in bread pans. Though this is a French bread recipe, I prefer the shape of a pan when I am going to cube.

baby boule

hanging with the to-be-stuffing breads

They are to pretty to be stuffing!!!

Damn… Sorry to hear you got this bad news.

Oh dear! I am so sorry to hear of a holiday layoff. Bread making fits well into job search hours though. Create your sponge or starter, send resumes or have an interview by phone, shape bread and have some lunch, more job research during the second rise, and while they bake, some networking.

Love it!

No not frequently. Though the no-knead bread isn’t particularly challenging even for novice like me. In fact, I just got some Central Milling Company hard red winter wheat flour to start baking again.

I just baked my first batch of parker house rolls. I Didn’t bake them all the way as I will freeze them and heat them again. Not bad for a first try - and tasty!

3 Likes

Mmmm. Par baking is about the only way they’d all get into the freezer at my house.

Those look really good!

Thanks! Baked one off and it tastes great. I’m so proud of me!

Where did you get that parker roll recipe?

I googled parker house rolls and ended up with a combo of a Bobby Flay recipe from Food Network ( I know, I know) and then another who had instructions on par-baking. The BF one is this one

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/parker-house-rolls-recipe.html

The first recipe for Parker House rolls was published in Fannie Farmer’s 1933 printing of her The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book. Just cause it is fun to read these old recipes, here is a post on King Arthur: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2011/01/09/let-the-good-times-roll-parker-house-rolls/

Fun stuff! Will you serve these on T-Day?

Yep, that’s the plan!!

They came out GREAT!!! I was so happy with my first successful attempt at bread making!!!

1 Like