Do you bake bread regularly?

Fabulous! Sometimes it works; and then, inexplicably, it doesn’t. Always better when it does! With practice, the times that it doesn’t become farther and farther apart. Congratulations on a great first bake.

Thanks! Makes me want to do more!!:smile:

Look for the Lehigh Mills Utah hard winter wheat flour, too.

I bake bread a lot. Here’s the latest, a couple loaves of walnut bread. I base it on recipes and technique from “Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast”, by Ken Forkish - love that book. I keep about 100g of levain in the fridge at all times, and feed it for a few days before baking. I grind a bunch of grains - this time I used spelt, emmer farro, rye, and red winter wheat along with Shepard’s Grain AP flour. Just made french toast with this today.

3 Likes

I used to never bake bread, but got tired of spending $$ for premium sandwich brands like Arnold’s/Oroweat. Now I bake all of it including rolls, burger buns, etc… Except baguettes, bagels and English muffins. Those we buy. I’d make English muffins if I could find a recipe as good as Thomas’. I love that open crumb so much I use a cake breaker to split them.

White and wheat sandwich loaves are baked every couple of weeks (we don’t eat a lot of bread here) in my Zo. They’re always perfect and always easy. We slice and freeze them where they keep well for weeks. . Never store in the fridge.

Duffy

Just curious - do you slice by hand?

Yes, but using a homemade guide rather like the one below. The dude made it from scrap wood, thick slices on one side, thin/regular on the other. Ours is just wide enough for our bread machine loaves and doesn’t take up much room, lacking the extension with hanging hole the one shown has. Slices come out nice and even.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://i.ytimg.com/vi/r7jgkYmwKew/hqdefault.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v%3Dr7jgkYmwKew&h=360&w=480&tbnid=yGy6TGN6RBlUQM:&docid=xeJSt-Dtry3ZlM&ei=Mb5uVpGIHYKEmwHZz4awCw&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0ahUKEwjR5PnstNvJAhUCwiYKHdmnAbYQMwhaKDMwMw.

Aha! So you’ve been here all along, …Duffy?

Aloha,
Kaleo

Yeah, I’m a stalker, er, lurker.

I got into bread-making when I took a break from my last job - really one type of bread, the Japanese milk bread recipe. I loved it, and would share a loaf with my parents since the recipe was enough for 2 loaves. I’ve since fallen out of this habit for several reasons:

1. Damn, this is time consuming. From making the tangzhong starter, to kneading, proofing and shaping - the 2 loaves took me all day. I was cooling the loaves at 10 or 11pm. [note: I had one pan and I had to bake them one after each other]

2. I’ve since moved and now live in a house that struggles to get to 67F. I used to live in a toasty apt where I could be in shorts and tanks with no heat on. Cool house = yeast doesn’t rise as well. I got flat, denser bread that wasn’t as good - the only thing I don’t like about my new kitchen. It only works well if I bake in the summer time.

3. Life is busier and I don’t eat the bread fast enough.

But that bread is soo good, and you don’t get the same result when you adapt the recipe for a bread machine. I should put that project back on my list this summer.

My current life requires breakfast so I can take some medications with food. I hate eating first thing in the morning, but I don’t have a choice. After trying a number of options I have settled on Rye toast with a bit of cheese. Today was baking day. Three pounds of rye bread are cooling on a rack. I tried a few different slash techniques, some more successful than others. I think I like the tree pattern the best.

5 Likes

:grinning: Do you need that many bread?

Well, technically no. But, I freeze the bread and pull it out as needed. The 1.5 lb loaves are split and the .5 lb loaves are kept whole. One of the boules will become a gift tomorrow. It is all a balancing act you know. This bread takes three days to make, regardless of how much I create. So, I create enough so that as I deal with some ugly drugs, I only need to make my breakfast bread every couple of months instead of more frequently.

Or, are you asking if I can share? :slight_smile:

Sharing is nice too.

But originally, I was just wonder “won’t these bread go bad before you can finish them?”

Reading this older thread and enjoy it a lot. Too bad many posters are no longer very active. Not a bread baker myself, but recent brioche making makes me curious and I start reading.

2 Likes

I bake all our bread. Mostly sourdough/levain.

Good to know. Will bug you soon! :rofl: Beware!!

I’m starting to read Flour Water Salt Yeast now. Got also Tartine Bread and Bien Cuit to follow.

I’m worried!!

From Bravetart, recipe for ‘wonder bread’. I was intrigued the recipe contained malted milk powder, which I love. Also a cooked paste of flour and milk. I made the burger buns instead of the loaf. After forming balls on the sheet pan covered with plastic and then another sheet pan on top to make the balls rise sideways. Really lovely puffy buns. Will def repeat perhaps with whole wheat.

4 Likes

I enjoy baking bread and recently got a Mockmill 100 to mill my own flour. I’ve been baking mostly whole wheat sourdough but am looking forward to being able to play around with some different grains now.

1 Like