What have you been watching lately? 2024 Edition

If you already were sold on Letterkenny, Shoresy is 100% worth a watch. Similar (though not quite identical) style and humor. Similarly short, fast paced episodes, so your commitment never feels overwhelming.

2 Likes

We started watching Three Pines recently, and are into it. I did a search in this thread bc I coulda sworn that @Phoenikia or someone had mentioned it, but nothing came up.

Anyway, it’s an interesting whodunnit with Alfred Molina (among others), with each case consisting of 2 consecutive episodes, and with a sort of “uberplot” about unsolved cases of First Nation women who have gone missing.

1 Like

Sweet! I’m hoarding for a binge.

2 Likes

just had a manageable binge with season 1 and 2 of ‘happy valley’ — total 12 episodes

created by sally wainright (last tango in halifax, which i loved), it’s dark, for sure, but tightly written and incredible performances: sarah lancaster and siobhan finneran standout in a great cast.

3 Likes

Tried to watch Masters of the Air, since it’s gotten so many accolades. Couldn’t get past the first half of the second episode.

Characters aren’t interesting, and it couldn’t be more Spielbergian if it had a cute alien in it. Nope.

2 Likes

Also watched Dinner Time live with David Chang

@Rickbern

Well, I’ve been on some weird binges as I work through jet lag.

Currently rewatching “The Fall” (on Acorn, but it’s available elsewhere) — Jamie Dorman long before 50 Shades :joy:, Jillian Anderson — have loved her since the X-Files, but her range is stunning, and many more familiar faces.

:
Death and Other Details: I mentioned this earlier, it’s like Agatha Christie-lite, still kind of delicious, and I should have left it alone till all the episodes were out, but now I’m in it :joy:

Damages: another rewatch, so dark, Glenn Close doing her thing, the show that made Rose Byrne, Ted Danson in a fabulous dark turn. But I enjoyed this a lot more when it was originally on.

Fargo: S5 was good, I enjoy Jon Hamm flexing his acting range beyond “hunk”, the storyline was good, Juno Temple was fabulous and fierce.

I tried to go back and rewatch S3 & S4, when the show lost me, and I don’t know that I’m going to get through them even on second attempt, they’re so much weaker than 1 & 2 (& 5). Also — wtf is happening in Minnesota??? :rofl::rofl::rofl: And always in the winter??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Speaking of Jon Hamm, such good chemistry with Tina Fey since the 30 Rock days —
I had totally missed Maggie Moore(s) when it came out:

And I adore David Oyelowo all the way from MI-5 days, but it was hard to make up for both a terrible storyline and a terrible co-lead in Role Play. Now I need to rewatch Mr & Mrs Smith, Game Night, and Date Night all to make up for it.

Also mourning the loss / conversion of David Chang from nyc chef to TV personality as he continues with his streaming empire expansion with not one but two new reality-ish shows last week — Chrissy (Teigen) & Dave Dine Out, and the other one pretty much the inverse, ie dining in, where he cooks for other celebs at “home”, “Dinner Time Live”.

Wish there was a S3 of Ugly Delicious in the works instead of these, but I guess reality is where the money is.

3 Likes

Posted this in a clay pot cooking thread, someone recommended I put it here

If you’re interested in some charming videos of a handsome man traveling around France, Spain and Portugal, cooking traditional dishes in the area where they originated, by all means check out Pete’s Pans. Sometimes he uses the traditional pot the dish was originally cooked in.

3 Likes

Similar ideas to the Chef Show with Roy Choi and Jon Favreau. Really liked that show but I think the genre is running out of new interesting ideas. The first episode of Dine Out was kind of cringey.

Also want to check out Death and other Details plus the new show set in Hong Kong The Expats. Enjoying Criminal Record on Apple and looking forward to Feud-story about Truman Capote and his falling out with NYC elite society.

1 Like

We enjoyed some of the Chef Show during the pandemic, probably because we enjoyed the movie, which is the backstory, and also Jon Favreau and Roy Choi have such pleasant energy, and also rapport.

Even my younger nephews had fun watching with us, because they liked and remembered the movie — I mean, the epic grilled cheese! :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, they were really great together. My old high school pal, Evan Kleiman was on one of the episodes and I enjoyed watching her.

1 Like

Oy. I was asking a friend in entertainment why Nicole Kidman is front and center in all these shows where she’s so unsuited to the role, and of course it was the answer I expected, which is that she’s producing them.

Expats would be good if it weren’t for her. She’s so not believable, and that’s exactly the reaction I had to the last few shows I watched that she was in. Not an ageist comment, btw — I don’t mean believable only in age, she was always a terrible actress imo, and these roles are meaty.

Criminal Record is good, but after 2 episodes I decided to wait to binge it when they’re all out :smiley:

1 Like

The Underdoggs.
It was alright, as I knew what to expect from it. F word and weed galore. Nothing much as a story except the most common theme in almost every sports movie.

wow, that’s a hot take.

looking forward to checking out Expats. maybe i’ll have a similar reaction, but to say Kidman is terrible in her profession, i would argue, is demonstrably false.

Yikes, that is unexpected indeed. The Guardian also raved about this series so I had (still have) high hopes. Did you like Band of Brothers?

My feeling yesterday when watching the first episode of The Bear season 2. I’ll probably watch another episode, but I don’t expect any emotional involvement going forward from my side.

Finished season 3 of Warrior. Excellent series imho.

As for movies, I’ve watched a few 2000s movies for the first time recently: Antwone Fisher, Master and Commander, and The Great Debaters (the first and last one with Denzel Washington). All good.

I’ve said my piece about everyone’s darling, The Bear, so I won’t revisit.

Maybe we’ll finish the episode we started last night & see if it gets any better, but it’s not like we’re lacking choices of what to watch :smiley:

1 Like

Indeed… :slight_smile:

Just went through the imdb ratings of Masters of the Air and I see many echoing your comments. Plus, I mentioned The Guardian raving about this series, but then you and I know what they picked as their favourite series in 2023… :wink:

1 Like

It’s not “demonstrably false”, it’s my opinion, which I’m entitled to, just as you’re entitled to a different one. No one’s opinion is “true” or “false”, by definition of the term opinion — vs fact.

This was a pleasant hit of fluff.

Did you see the bit at the end saying it’s based on Snoop’s real life foundation’s efforts to get poor kids football scholarships? I didn’t know about that. Some 50-odd kids to the NFL, and unless I misread, 29k to college since the Snoop Youth Football League started in the early 2000s. (Might be timed because of the anti-tackle football vote in CA.)

1 Like