DH&M copper pot. Worth restoring?

When back to check on it but it has sold. It’s just as well since I really don’t need another pot that size. Though who am I kidding? Needs got nothing to do with it.

Ha! Just saw this.

I used my new-to-me used saucepan last night for spaghetti sauce. Loved it.

Ooooo what did you buy? I missed it if mentioned in another thread.

Gina,

8" x 4.5" x 3mm tin lined Maviel. New tin.

Heavy sucker.

Have gone all the way to the dark side. Also have coming 7" x 3.75" x 3mm copper, also new tin. Calling it quits after that. Five pieces in copper will cover my bases.

I’m retiring my SS except for two stock pots (disk), a lasagna pan (not cladded), and a big roaster (cladded). Carbon steel for fry pans.

Some miscellaneous.

Feel good about it. Took me awhile to get to this spot.

P.S. I should add that the pan I used last night fits perfectly on the stove with my 11" rondeau and/or 11" 10 quart saucepan, just what the doctor ordered. Everything fits, which was the late-in-the-game objective. Wish I had thought this through in the beginning, but I’m kind of new to all this.

1 Like

oh my! Hopefully in another decade or so I’ll have a collection like that (I’d be ok with sooner though). What size saute did you get? or did you get the rondeau instead? I can’t decide which would be better for me. Good point about making sure everything fits on the stove. I’ll have to keep that in mind.

After seeing a 3mm pot in person that’s what I want. My 2ish mm is so lovely how nice is 3mm? I must find out.

Gina,

My rondeau is 11" diameter x 3.2mm. My saute pan is a baby at 7 inches x 3.5mm. I got it for free. I use it to infuse oil or butter with herbs, garlic, and such.

I bought my GF an 11" x 3.5mm saute, so we have two similar pans in the household. Plus she has a couple of 2mm windsors, and a really thin Ruffini stock pot and paella pan which are more for decoration. She’s the one who got me started down this copper rabbit hole.

I find I much prefer the thicker stuff. I think she likes the thinner stuff because of the lighter weight, although she admits that her saute cooks like all get out.

LOL, you’re nowhere near the dark side. I suggest you look at it this way: You have what you need right now, but you can keep you eyes open and be open to other pieces–the gratins are nice, and if the righ-size coccote came along… It’s nice to have the luxury of cherry picking when you have the basics covered.

Congrats, but there’s no Methadone for a copper addiction.

Aloha,
Kaleo

Kaleo,

I kind of thought you might come through with something like that. LOL. Yes, I am not really over the edge.

I truly am a minimalist at heart, so we will see. I have a long-term habit of only buying pieces when I find I cannot do something. (Which is kind of how I found copper in the first place.) What has happened as of late is a command decision to mostly abandon SS, which was abetted by the realization that my sauciers were a bad choice. This, on the heels of abandoning ECI, another bad choice. Such an expensive learning experience this has been. Sigh.

My cooking skills are modest at best, partly because I am new to cooking and partly because my focus is more nutritional than taste. (My attraction to biologically inert tin figures into this.)

More copper is a possibility, but only if I think I need it. Right now I just wanna learn to cook. I no longer feel that my tools are an impediment, which is kind of a turning point for me.

1 Like

Hi John,

As a minimalist, you need to develop your portfolio of meals and skills to include preparation, heat source, presentation, and display/storage. Since I’ve made the decision to develop cooking as a hobby and rethink what and how I cook, I made a decision to use induction hobs. That, in turn, has led me to an interest in one pot cooking-from preparation to display–relying on enameled cast iron, not copper, for many of my cooking solutions.

Ray

Ray,

Actually my plans for my ECI are for non-heat cooking, cerviche, salt curing (homemade bacon), cold smoking, air drying salted meats, etc.

1 Like

Hi John,

You earlier indicated that you are still developing your portfolio of meals to prepare. I wouldn’t be so ready to connect specific kinds of cookware to such specific applications quite yet. There are many ways to skin a cat.

Ray

Ray,

You cannot use metal pots and pans for salting and curing foods, so for me that means ECI because, by default, that’s what I have that is not metal.

I like to keep it minimal but that means I don’t want two 10" SS skillets. However one copper, one SS, one carbon steel, and one cast iron is ok :blush:

1 Like

“You need to …”

Is this thread turning into another ECI/one pot cooking thread, with advice being dispensed by a neophyte? I thought we left that behind on that other site…

I feel dumber already.

1 Like

@GinaMarie oh, welcome to the rabbit hole I fell into. I have those four skillets in 9.5 to 10.2" (plus a somewhat useless ECI). These folks will indeed enable you… Now, I find myself taking side trips on vacation to go to check out cookware (next up, a trip to e.Dehillerin in a few weeks).

Well, my GF has made it clear I’m not retiring the SS at all. Mmmmm.

Need more cabinetry .

1 Like

A hole I’ll happily fall down. It’s a far cry from the nonstick home I was raised in.

As for e.Dehillerin I am oh so envious. Please share your finds.

Pot Rack! Show off that beautiful copper.

Hi, Gina:

As I write this in my nook, I can see 28 copper pieces (excluding covers). I have one etagere for saucepans, one cabinet end with hooks for sautes and poeles, one French hanging shelf for gratins, bowls and miscellany, and the woodstove top for cocottes, braisers and the kettles. It’s an all-day job to mirror-polish these, and a 2-day to do everything including what’s on display in the pantry. I used to mirror-polish twice a year (Christmas and Easter).

The takehome for those with Stage 1 addiction is that, if you use them (which you should), they will get discolored/patinated rather quickly. This doesn’t affect anything, but you need to accept that the only way to keep it all looking Downton Abbey is to polish something every time you use it, and wax those pieces you rarely use.

I am gradually shifting to quick-polish jobs that yield a finish that looks lightly brushed. This can be done in the sink, without a buffer, in about 1/4 of the time. It’s not as stunningly beautiful, but still pretty cool.

Aloha,
Kaleo

If anyone knows (and is willing to share) a good place in Paris or Bordeaux (shop, marches aux puce vendor) for vintage, I’ll gladly seek suggestions.

I can just imagine what a beautiful display there is in Kaleo’s kitchen. I’ve often thought of getting a specialty case or etagere just to display some pieces – the polishing, though… oh, yikes.