Deviled Eggs - your favorite version, tips, and tricks?

In my experience, having used both, you’ll be disappointed in the IP compared to a stove-top PC. Slower to come to pressure and can’t reach a consistent 15 psi. That’s why there are electric PC specific cookbooks and USDA discourages them for canning. They take longer.

I take your point about more attention to PC cooking, although many IP users don’t realize that’s what they are doing. grin I’m quite content with a Lorna Sass book, the Ball Blue Book, and the USDA home canning guidelines.

I do leave sous vide off my cult list. I think that for most home use they are pretentious, leave an unfortunate plastic waste stream, and are a good example of technology for it’s own sake. Advocates of sous vide don’t seem to reach the degree of religious fervor that IP users achieve, or flock to the Kool-Aid as do followers of Mr. López-Alt. That said, the ability of sous vide to hold food for extended periods does have application in commercial kitchens. I put sous vide in the category of specialized tools that are not justified in the home, unlike the IP which is a cheap gadget that would never survive in a professional environment.

You on the other hand, I like. grin

1 Like

I have, although don’t think I’ve steamed eggs in it. I’m sure a regular one is better for most people, but I had the regular one and didn’t use it as much as I use the IIP, which isn’t all that much.

Might as well admit to having two Sou Vis as well; one immersion, and one water circulator.

I think I was thinking this was the thread about appliances. I’m going to try to stick to the subject.

3 Likes

I just saw something about using schmaltz in the yolk mixture, and garnishing with gribenes. (By my favorite foods, you’d be hard-pressed to know I’m not Jewish!) https://www.myjewishlearning.com/the-nosher/deviled-eggs-with-schmaltz-and-gribenes/

4 Likes

I bet that added fat just takes the d-eggs over the top good!

1 Like

My great grandmother did this for her egg-salad.

3 Likes

SE variations courtesy @GretchenS

5 Likes

great

2 Likes

Anything goes.
Top with caviar or shrimp
Mix ins: pesto sauce & toasted pine nuts, cooked crumbled bacon & Dijon
mustard
Avocado and bacon
Sun-dried tomatoes

5 Likes

Had a bit of a “duh” moment as I used green chutney for deviled eggs… why has this not happened in my kitchen before, it’s such an obvious pairing for me :grimacing:

Used whole Greek yogurt, but a bit much which made them a little runnier than is pretty. Very tasty, though. Finely minced shallot and cilantro went in too.

6 Likes

A warm welcome to Hungry Onion @strightfromphilly! We look forward to your posts or questions about anything food or drink wise. Which is actually a huge part of people’s lives, naturally.

1 Like

WAY too much olive oil, not enough whimsy.

Just in time for Easter, I fell into a rabbit hole of recipe links and landed on a deviled egg version that combines my favorites in one delicious place.

Holy moly.

4 Likes

My perfect reprieve.

1 Like

Rooster, you inspired me to try this recipe. I haven’t seen any fresh oregano in the stores for days, so I used dried. It was still good. My wife and I practically finished the whole thing (I used 6 eggs) in one sitting.

3 Likes

Thanks for reporting back! I did a small test batch the week I posted the link. I had homemade hummus to use up, a small bit of crumbled feta, chopped the honey nuts fine grind, used sumac as the spice. Then followed the recipe as written. I was very surprised how well the flavors melded. because texture can sometimes throw me off, I mashed everything really well. I never did photograph it but I will make it again. Didn’t you find these far more filling than a traditional deviled egg too as in a meal in itself.?

I’m so glad to hear you and yours enjoyed it.

1 Like

The last time I had a deviled egg was at Oleana in Cambridge, MA. They were so good that I had a second order for dessert. And I don’t think I’d ever made them before.

5 Likes

I tried @Rooster’s avocado-instead-of-mayo trick because my jar of mayo… separated :woman_facepalming:t2:

Also tried using a strainer to push the yolks and avocado through.

Strainer was effective, but took a while… patience is not my virtue. The avocado did give the mixture a slight avocado-ey flavor - not bad, just different. Also, it turned the mixture green.

Nice to try something new, but I’ll probably go back to eggs and mayo next time.

8 Likes

Try plain Greek Yogurt.

So much easier to work with, and it tastes so much better. Healthier too.

Win win. Win!

Last week I tried Kenji’s version of the Oleana recipe.

https://www.seriouseats.com/deviled-eggs-confit-tuna-olives-tomat-olive-oil-recipe

The result was excellent, but there was enough filling for another 6 eggs!

1 Like

KISS (keep it simple, stupid)…mash yolks with mayonnaise, mustard, and a little pickle relish. With moderation add any ONE of the following, finely chopped: sun dried tomatoes, capers, bacon. Curry powder is ok, too. If you like a little spice, spike it with Sriracha, Cholula, or a proven habanero or ghost pepper sauce like Melinda’s Naga or Bhut Jolokia.

3 Likes