Deep Friers

I am going through a deep fryer phase. Please don’t judge but deserve it a bit if so. :grimacing:

Do you have a dedicated fryer and if so which brand/model and why do you like it?

What do you enjoy (deep or shallow) frying?

I am using a T-fal. I have to say I like it very much. It heats to ~370F (max, I think) in very short order and maintains it well. I expected the oil filtration system to be gimmicky but actually works well better than expected.

T-fal Deep Fryer with Basket, Stainless Steel, Easy to Clean Deep Fryer, Oil Filtration, 2.6-Pound, Silver, Model FR8000

2 Likes

This is a good unit, but I don’t deep fry at home… instead I shallow fry (and turn/flip) in cast iron. For me, it is about managing all of that oil, which is just not something I like to do.

3 Likes

I edited the op to ask what people like frying most. Do you mind sharing?

I do shrimp, fish, and falafel. But not much else as I am not a big fan of fried chicken (rather have a tinga in a taco, tostada, or burrito). I do like onion rings and these work well with a shallow fry. Most everything does if you’re willing to turn it, and it is not too tall.

2 Likes

Falafel….outstanding idea. When time permits can you share the recipe, please? I’d buy frozen if available.

1 Like

https://scottinpollock.us/falafel.html

2 Likes

Deep fried tacos, the national dish of KC.

1 Like

Ohh, I am going to try that despite how my arteries reacted. :yum:

1 Like

Oh my! Thanks much!!!

I have a dedicated 4 quart Calphalon pot that I use only for deep frying. $1 at a garage sale. I recycle oil for several fry-ups, never mixing fish/prawns with chicken. It takes only a couple of inches of oil, like less than a pint. Stupid easy and simple clean up. I let the oil cool overnight, strain into its bottle if keeping and refrigerate again. If tossing, I pour it into a cardboard pint ice cream container and include in weekly compost pickup.

Mostly used for prawns, chicken breast chunks, veg tempura.

2 Likes

Do you buy fresh prawns? How do you prepare them… with dried bread crumbs?

I buy jumbo (12-16/lb) frozen prawns. Make a tempura batter of 1/3 wheat flour, 1/3 rice flour, 1/3 cornstarch, seltzer, or you can traditionally use beer, to make a batter. Tiny splash of soy or else salt.

Thin, shattering crust.

2 Likes

Wow wow wow.

I will try this. Thank you.

I have an electric deep fryer (similar to the one in the OP) but now I just use a 4qt pot and a clip on thermometer. I filter the oil (peanut) after using after its cooled to a jar and reuse a few times. I mostly deep fry pork cutlets for tonkatsu, shrimp for po’boys, chicken for chicken parm, karaage, sandwiches, etc. and sometimes do french fries. For french fries I parboil them for about 3 minutes, dry them off and then deep fry until golden.

2 Likes

May I ask why the switch? One of the concern is sticky surfaces/smoke/odeur if use a regular pot.

Mostly due to the hassle of getting out the fryer, plugging it in, and cleaning it out after use. With the pot I just stick it in the dishwasher. It is a bit more smelly, and can leave some oil splatter. I used to use a mesh splatter guard over it but it didn’t make a big difference. With a 4qt pot its only filled about 1/3 to 1/2 way up so that helps with the splatter too.

3 Likes

Mainly tempura. Occasionally fries.

Right now, my setup is a just a normal pot with a laser pointer infrared thermometer. Deep fry is a very rare event at home. Recently, got a gas burner that we can use outdoor for this purpose, still a mess. I don’t know, may eventually get a dedicated fryer with a filter. But it seems to me you need to use a lot of oil and is it difficult to wash? Consideration is also extra storage space. Some claim air fryer oven can be nearly as good.

1 Like

I see. Oil splashing is fine for me on the induction cooktop. It’s more the smoke that bothers me, since our kitchen is open, impossible for the hood to suck everything. I see sticky surface, on lamps, furniture somewhat far away. Also odeur lingering after deep frying is another concern.

Mesh splatter guard isn’t useful in deep frying. I saw it was effective at someone’s place when there wasn’t much oil in the pan.

I “low fry” if I must use cooking oil, but only as a foundation for a gravy or sauce. I’ve been avoiding deep frying since I began cooking–trying to find ways to steam and/or roast the vegetables and protein

The ECI pot I often use–my 3 1/2 qt. brazier–can saute onions and chicken before water based liquids are added and simmering begins. Cooking oils just seem so out of place.

Ray

Cleanup is easy

1 Like

Same. The filtering and storage process is a little annoying but not that big a deal. I don’t deep fry all that frequently but certain things just aren’t right any other way. Buffalo wings, for instance.

1 Like