Deep Friers

I used to want a deep fryer, but one typically requires more oil than what I use in a pot and it takes up space. I just fry in my smaller wok most times.

I don’t deep fry often, but probably more than most people do at home because I don’t shy away from it.
I make things like Taiwanese salt and pepper chicken and other types of fried chicken, falafel, tostones (especially breadfruit tostones which are honestly better than plantain ones), lots of protein for Asian dishes like sweet and sour, orange chicken/pork/etc, tempura, doughnuts…

2 Likes

Yeah totally agree with the space it takes up. I have a shelf to store it on but hate clutter. I didn’t deep/shallow fry much because I thought it was too much work. Using a dedicated fryer somehow mitigates that feeling. Exactly how? I have no idea. We will see how much I use it once the newness wears off.

1 Like

Oh, and here is a good Tahini for that Falafel…

https://scottinpollock.us/tahini.html

1 Like

My best fried shrimp dish…

https://scottinpollock.us/shrimp.html

1 Like

How do you people with a dedicated fryer store your used oil? I saw some people just leave in the machine for the next use, in a few weeks’ time.

1 Like

Now you remind me of a SE Asian dish, the delicious salted egg yolk prawns. Fry with shell on!

2 Likes

I drain the oil via its filtration system and leave it in the collection container for the next use. I then clean the fryer pan and store the cord in the basket within the pan. I have used it probably ten times so far so it’s probably about time to change it.

2 Likes

Looks like most parts of your model can be cleaned in the dish washer. How about odor?

1 Like

I’ve been hand washing it. Maybe I will try the dishwasher. Woot woot. The top has a rinky-dink filter and when the oil was fresh there didn’t seem to be much of an odor…but I am probably just not noticing.

1 Like

I didn’t know J. M. W. Turner painted F&C scenes.

The only dedicated deep fryer I have is an old Frybaby. It works fine for two diners.

For more or larger portions, I either use a tall Demeyere asparagus steamer with basket, or an 8Q pressure cooker rated for pressure frying. I find wider vessels to be too wasteful of oil.

I strain and filter the used oil manually. That way you can decide on the optimum degree o saponification.

2 Likes

Smiling ruefully, I remember the only time I tried to serve tempura for a dinner party. Up and down, up and down, up and down. I made a similar mistake when son asked for prawns for a birthday dinner (5 in his family, 2 of us).

Decided two’s company, three +'s a crowd!

2 Likes

I heard that! Same when picking crabs and shucking oysters!

I have a fry daddy for French fries, battered fish, shrimp, and tonkatsu. It works well but doesn’t allow temperature adjustment. I like that it is small and doesn’t require much oil.

I found some duck fat on sale at my local grocery outlet a while back and stocked up thinking I’d always wanted to deep fry in it, but I’ve hardly used any as I just don’t deep fry much. Making British style fish and chips is however on my list of foods to try to make soon.

1 Like

When I was first married I had a deep fryer it was a Kenwood then I graduated to a T-Fal.
T-Fal is a good brand and in your photo it looks like a Professional one.
Deep fryers sure have come a long way both the models that I owned had plastic housing.
I deep fry very rarely now yet when I do this is what I use:

1 Like

When having a hankering for deep fried food I’d do it on the stovetop but always nervous over spilling, over/under heat, etc. I kept a moist towel by the stove just in case of a fire.

I started an oil fire when I was 20 yo and burned one hand pretty badly. So starting another oil fire is not beyond my skill set.

2 Likes

It is not for everyone.
Even chef Riccardo recommends purchasing a deep fryer as oposed to a pot on the stove for that very reason.

1 Like

Growing up, we stayed away from deep frying for potatoes and protein–only using it for home made donuts. We used a pan similar to the one you have pictured.

These days, I steam, and rarely use oil in my cooking–not to mention deep fryers.

and I don’t make home made donuts any more.

Ray

1 Like

On the stove top in a wok. Fish for fish tacos, tofu (tho that’s changed to the air fryer). If I want something deep fried (rare) I prefer it at home with clean oil rather than from a restaurant.

1 Like

My mother never deep fried ever only shallow pan fried.
French fries were a treat that we had out rarely in a restaurant.
My Grandfather made the best Pączki that was a once a year affair.