December 2023 COTM - CARMINE'S FAMILY-STYLE COOKBOOK

I’ve had a version of this made with pork ribs, and it was delicious. I see what you mean about tempeh soaking up more salt.

The January 2024 thread is up.

CARMINE’S LASAGNA p. 126

I don’t have the energy to type out all of the steps to make this thing. It is basically a lasagna that uses homemade bolognese, their marinara sauce, boiled lasagna noodles, and a ricotta/cheese mixture that incorporates parsley.

It is a lot of work so I always make 2 at once. One for the event and then one for the freezer. It is an incredibly rich and hearty dish but also delicious. Always a crowd-pleaser and something that people have paid me to make for their parties.

5 Likes

You know, the Barilla no boil pasta sheets taste almost like fresh pasta to me; ATK says to soak them in warm water a couple of minutes first.

2 Likes

Agreed. I’m a big fan of the no-boil noodles. Makes assembling so much easier. Barilla makes a GF version and several of the other GF brands I like are no-boil as well. And it’s a win-win because the texture of the no-boil noodles is far superior (imho) to kind that you boil.

3 Likes

I’ve used no-boil noodles for various lasagnas including the one in The Herbal Garden cookbook. I have nothing against them. I’ve also made the Carmine’s lasagna with homemade fresh pasta sheets.

You haven’t lived until you spend an hour making pasta sheets, go to the bathroom for 30 seconds, and return to them with cat paw prints all over them. hahahahaha Ugh!

7 Likes