Curries (meta-discussion)

Dilution is the only way I’ve successfully dealt with too much spice. Eggs, rice, potatoes, bread seem to work best. Potatoes seems the best fit here.

1 Like

Stirring yoghurt through it should also have a calming effect.

1 Like

Or some cream and call it Gosht Tikka Masala.

Agree as a matter of principle. Plenty of yogurt in the lamb marinade.

Review of the online grocery list now says “bone in” with a different picture. Maybe something changed between when I put the lamb stew meat in the cart and when I picked up my order. Still, more than half (only a little more) of weight as bone is disconcerting.

Repeating myself, starting from primals there is no excuse for so much bone in stew meat. I have to assume trying (and succeeding with me) to sell waste and trimmings. Other choices would have been cheaper with waste taken into account.

The potato add sufficiently diluted the spices to make the reduced amount of meat in my curry moot. It was pretty good.

The question that came to mind, driven by my warped sense of humor (or humour as may be), is that if adding beans to chili makes the dish not chili any more, what does adding potatoes to curry do to the curry? This goes back to the vocabulary discussion we have from time to time in HO.

1 Like

That beans in Texas thing is marketing.

2 Likes

It just adds potatoes.

A common enough ingredient in South Asian food including Mrs Harters’ regular order of the Punjabi dish of aloo gobi (see above) - a potato (aloo) and cauliflower (gobi) dish. Like a number of ingredients, it presumably arrived in the sub-continent through the European empire builders. In this case, it’s probably the Portuguese who also brought chilli from South America. Just as the British brought the cauliflower.

I like potato as the filling in a masala dosa when I’m wanting something a bit more substantial than a plain dosa.

2 Likes

Ah. We have a cauliflower that needs to be eaten this week. Curried cauliflower it is then. Now what to eat with it…?

Erm, potato?

If my link works, you’re getting to the aloo gobi recipe we use - taken from the Prashad restaurant which used to be in a converted small terraced house in Bradford (and used to be very good).

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

(post deleted by author)