Culinary news in Westchester/Fairfield!

Bernards in Ridgefield has been sold to some Norwalk restaurateurs. New Year’s Eve will be the final day with the current owners.

Bernard’s in Ridgefield sold to Norwalk restaurateurs after 22 years (newstimes.com)

Had some good meals there over the years. Took in some live music upstairs at Sarah’s. Wasn’t the original Inn at Ridgefield located on that same property? Another good spot years ago.

It’s in Orange rather than Westchester, but Liberty Street Bistro in Newburgh is closing on November 19th. I had a couple of nice meals up there. More recently, they annoyed me by pricing all of their items ending in 99c in much smaller font than the dollar amount. I had a thread about it either here or on CH. I guess I should feel guilty now.

Nice to hear some bullish news from the restaurant community once in a while. Expansions are underway at Wolf & Warrior Brewing on E. Post Road, White Plains. They are renovating a former beauty shop next door. Another expansion is in the works at Freebird Kitchen on Mamaroneck Ave., White Plains. They have also taken over the shop next door.

1 Like

Stopped into Chef City Restaurant Supply’s new location on Central Park Ave., Scarsdale, and found the right size cooling racks I have been looking for. The store was originally located on Rt. 119 in White Plains, I believe. www.chefcityonline.com
On a recent fall road trip, we stopped into Ace Endico Marketplace and saw they had added a section for small kitchen supplies as well. Ace is a major wholesale food supplier to the foodservice industry. You may have noticed their trucks rolling thru town. Retail customers are welcome. We have found some good bargains there. www.aceendico.com

1 Like

We are planning to visit the new Town House on Main St. in New Rochelle, part of the massive renewal in the downtown area. It was formerly a multi-story tavern that has been sitting empty for several years. Will report back.

1 Like

My husband and I are dining there New Year’s Eve. Lovely place. Will be missed.

Brief update about Sergio’s. My parents met up with their oldest friends there for lunch this past Saturday. Their friends drove down from Tarrytown. They haven’t seen each other in many years due to moves and health issues. They hardly paid attention to their food because they were so busy talking and continued to talk into the early evening at my parents’ condo. All mom could tell me was “good chicken, huge portions.” In any case, it sounds like the restaurant treated this foursome in their late 70’s to 80 quite well. Which made me very happy.

Michelin Restaurant Guide 2023 is announcing the probable addition of 3 restaurants from Westchester County. They are each fairly new: Town House, New Rochelle; Augustine’s Salumeria, Mamaroneck; and the reopening of La Cremaillere, Banksville/Bedford.
Our meal at Town House late last year turned out to be a fine experience.

2 Likes

Surprisingly, there have been so many openings in recent months. We had a very nice meal at Torcello Ristorante in Larchmont. The owners took over the former La Riserva on Boston Post Road. Still a lovely space. Enjoyed their mozzarella caprese, eggplant rollatini, insalada di cesare, a good version, rigatoni Bolognese style with meat sauce, and pollo torcello, a flavorful melding of chicken breast topped with applewood bacon and melted fresh mozzarella in a bourbon mushroom sauce.
Apparently, the restaurant is named after an island off the coast of Venice. One of the owners said he had previously worked at Valbella in Old Greenwich. www.torcellolarchmont.com

2 Likes

I have this place on my list of places to go for lunch. They have a three-course $65 price fixed meal that looks pretty good.

1 Like

They did finally open for lunch, and they received a Michelin designation. Have not tried them yet. By the way, Spring Hudson Valley Restaurant Week is underway and runs thru April 2nd. Any thoughts? https://valleytable.com/restaurant-week/

I’d considered starting a new thread, but decided not to. But since you asked.

We are going to Maria for lunch today. I skipped them last time because they were charging $39.95 for lunch, which I objected to because it was not an approved price point for HVRW. This time they’re back to $29.95. That said, they’ve already changed their menu and removed what I was planning to order, so I am upset.

Friday we are going to Clocktower Gril in Brewster for lunch. We have been there twice, didnt have a great meal either time, but their menu looks interesting and if were going to give them another try, this is the time to do it.

Saturday night we are going to Six at the Curry Estate (formerly Le Chambord) in Hopewell junction. They have what I think is the best HVRW menu out there.

Next week, we might do Harvest on Hudson for lunch, we had an excellent meal there last time, but they still have not posted their menu (I assume it’s the same thing they do for $40 the rest of the year). Although i just noticed that they have $39.95 listed as their pricing on the HVRW site, in which case we won.t be going there.

We will try to get to Freddy’s in Pleasantville next week. Also, Mama Roux in Newburgh has an interesting menu.

BTW, the CIA has been doing a dining special since January, three-course lunch for $29 (Tuesday through Friday) or dinner for $50 (Tuesday through Thursday). We did American Bounty back in January and enjoyed it. We ate at Caterina de Medici last Friday, and it was excellent, and they never seem to fill up. Then we are going to Bocuse next week with NYC friends.

1 Like

Was in the mood for ribs and I was in White Plains, so I stopped off at Freebird Kitchen on Mamaroneck Ave. They do a good job with their pork ribs. Got a big take-out order for a home share; whole rack of meaty pork ribs, sides of cole slaw, mac n cheese, corn bread. We feasted; all was delish!

1 Like

I know this isn’t in Westchester, but since I had posted here about HVRW, I wanted to mention that we had an excellent dinner at Restaurant Six at the Curry Estate (formerly Le Chambord) in Dutchess County this weekend. I’m usually very critical and find that there’s at least one course that I did not like in every restaurant week meal, but I thoroughly enjoyed my meal, and no one at the table had anything that they did not like. Service was also excellent. My only complaints were that the food came out too quickly, and that they had a wedding in a neighboring building (they also do catering) and the music was rather loud. I had the rack of lamb entree. I had two huge double chops with a nice assortment of baby veggies (carrots, turnips, assorted color potatoes). My wife had the steak and also enjoyed it thoroughly. And they actually correctly cooked our meat medium-rare*.

It’s about 20 minutes north of the Westchester border on the Taconic, and less than five minutes from the exit. They have (IMHO) one of the best HVRW menus. I definitely suggest checking it out if it’s not too far for you.

*OT: I ate at a place the other day and I ordered the salmon, medium rare. The server (an owner) said “that’s how we recommend it” and we had a discussion about how at some places they look at you like you’re speaking a foreign language when you order it that way. The salmon came out fully cooked :(.

2 Likes

I have to share about a new favorite dining spot. It was recommended by a friend last year. It is called Prime Pub and it is located in historic Somers, right at the entrance to Heritage Hills. The owner Simi and his staff are super hospitable. First the setting: the building sits right in front of a picturesque lake. Large picture windows afford patrons lovely, relaxing views. When we visited this past week, they had added umbrellaed outdoor seating right down to the banks. The interior of the restaurant is airy with a bar area and seasonal fireplace.
The menu is chef-driven American eclectic. On our last few visits, we enjoyed a great Cobb Salad, an extraordinary Burrata Burger, Grilled Salmon Club, fresh Halibut, even a hearty bowl of Beef Stroganoff. They operate another Prime Pub in Danbury, CT. www.primepubgroup.com

1 Like

Was that where the Chinese place used to be?

So I was told by a local resident, it had been an Asian restaurant. It became Prime Pub early last year.

I have read in the local media that the former Vox location, which has been rebuilt, will become both a formal and casual French restaurant in one. La Bastide by Andre Calstier & Cenadou Bistrot. No website yet.

Thank you. We were waiting for that for a long time. But, we moved to Florida!