Culinary news in Westchester/Fairfield!

What’s happening in greater Westchester/Fairfield counties? Not much on this site about these areas lately, so I thought I would start this thread. There is a lot of culinary going on here. Please share your recent experiences: good or bad. General news, too.

1 Like

Let’s get this started. My recent culinary experiences have included:
Martine’s Bake Shop, Crestwood, near the train station: they bake up delicious big babkas. Got one for the Jewish New Year. Our favorite is the chocolate. Still enjoying the leftovers.
Tandoori Taste of India, Port Chester: This long-running eatery recently moved into newly modernized quarters along Westchester Ave. We had a wonderful meal. The stuffed Dosa was presented in dramatic fashion with two sauces coconut chutney and sambar. The chicken curry was an herbal delight. Salmon cooked in the tandoor was moist and delicious. For dessert we enjoyed light freshly made gulab jamun. Tandoori remains a fine Indian kitchen. www.tandooritasteofindia.com

1 Like

@gutreactions I will be following this thread. My brother lives in Mamaroneck and we just moved my parents to Port Chester so I have a feeling we will be down in your area more often than usual. In fact, we will be there over Indigenous Peoples weekend so we may need places to eat out. I hope to be able to contribute now and in the future.

Michelin has announced several new additions to its restaurant guide in New York. Westchester Bib Gourmet designations have been awarded to the new La Casa Mexican Restaurant in Bronxville; TVB by Pax Romana, an Italian restaurant in White Plains; and Chutney Masala, an Indian restaurant in Irvington. Have you visited? According to Michelin, Bib Gourmets are restaurants that offer above average 3-course meals for under $50.
The full list will be announced on Oct. 6th.

1 Like

So , I’ll throw an old and new bakery into the mix. Kneaded Bread (in Port Chester) still has some of the best bread around, They make an excellent rye bread but it looks slightly different, I think that’s because all the seeds are in rather than on the bread and in the City of Rye is Noble Pies (22 Purdy Ave) makes really wonderful fruit pies and also very good savoury pies. Just be prepared for paying for top quality at both places.

1 Like

rich 51, thanks for reminding me about Kneaded Bread. Used to pop in there when Tarry Market was around. Some thought it would fall to the Bastianich clan but turned out just the opposite. KB still thrives. I come across Noble Pies at our farmers market but have not tasted their product.
Stopped in at Freebird Kitchen in White Plains early last night and enjoyed a couple of happy hour beers. Took home a full rack of their tender pork ribs. The order comes with corn on the cob and a tasty version of mac 'n cheese. We shared and still have leftovers.

1 Like

We usually don’t eat out much these days, but we’ve already eaten at Augustine’s Salumeria twice. The food and service are excellent, even for a recently opened restaurant. It’s on Halstead Avenue in Mamaroneck.

1 Like

I don’t eat out often these days but did go to Augustine’s without realising how new it was. Found it to be very good and reasonable, as I recall. I would definitely go again. As far as Noble Pies goes, they have replaced Pie Lady and Sons (unfortunately no longer in business) as my pie extravagance. Yes, you can buy a quality pie elsewhere for a few dollars yes, but not even close to the same quality/taste. So worth the premium price- I’ve also compared them to kneaded bread pies - I’ll go there for bread but not pies, plus they aren’t too far apart.

1 Like

I had read about their opening in the media. Could you share what you had at Augustine’s? By the way, the chef/owner’s name is Marc Texiera, similar to the pro baseball player. No relation, I was told.

Wish I could tell you what I/we had there but it was awhile back, I think it turned out they’d only been open a few days. I’ve just looked at the menu and nothing seems to be what we had (at least from memory) but I’d still recommend giving them a try. If you do go, please report back :slight_smile:

There are rumored to be not one, but two breweries opening in Yorktown. One is actually confirmed, since there is a website. Argonne Rose Brewing is opening in the old church on Route 6 where Saint George Restaurant was. It’s a rather small building, so not clear how much brewing they will be doing there. The other rumor I have heard is that Yonkers Brewing is opening where Uncle G’s used to be in downtown Yorktown. I normally would not post something like this, but the optometrist in the same shopping center told me that he had heard that it was becoming a brewery, and someone on Nextdoor claimed that it was a done deal. The landlord would not make what seemed like fairly obvious repairs for Uncle G’s, so it seems like they had another offer and wanted them out when the lease was up. For those who don’t know, Uncle G’s moved a block away where Food Emporium/A&P had been, but it had been empty for a decade. Very nice store, but prices are high.

1 Like

Michelin Restaurant Guides 2022 will be releasing a list their New York recipients on Oct. 6th. Included will be Michelin Bib Gourmet recommendations for the Westchester suburbs. Be interesting to see which eateries make their cut.

1 Like

I’ve moved to Florida, but it’s so great to see some activity on this board!!!

1 Like

The media is reporting that celebrity chef David Burke and his David Burke Hospitality Management group have taken the space that had previously operated as BLT Steak in The Opus Westchester, White Plains. The new restaurant will be called Red Horse, described as an American steakhouse with Asian accents. They say it will open in early 2023. Burke’s original Red Horse concept is in Rumson, N.J.
Meanwhile, Morton’s Steakhouse is still operating nearby. Let’s watch the dynamic.

1 Like

I read that. And I’m sorry to miss that one!

We will see. Westchester County has no shortage of steak houses or near steak houses these days. Meanwhile, the corner of Mill Road & Route 22 in Eastchester will see a new independent high end meat market opening soon, according to the signage in the storefront window. Rumor has it that is owned in part by the people behind Sea Flame Steakhouse in Scarsdale.

1 Like

It took many months, but The Wicked Wolf North has finally opened in Tuckahoe/Yonkers. The space had previously operated as Ye Olde Stone Mill. They are serving an eclectic Irish American menu with the addition of a few high-end steaks. The biggest physical change is in the bar/lounge area. It has been completely redesigned. The other rooms have been restored somewhat as well. The seasonal outdoor patio is intact. Wicked Wolf had originally been in the Throggs Neck section of the Bronx.
So far, I have had a few cocktails and shared their Fish & Chips. It was an ample portion and ok. Still early in the game here.

David Burke ain’t the same old steak house!

Gee, wonder if they will fare better than the meat vending machine that was further up 22 - right next to trader joe’s . Don’t worry , it’s gone now. Now as far as steak or near steakhouses go, has anyone noticed the abundance of “Italian steakhouses” in Westchester . Macelleria in Pelham, armonk, and greenwich, Averna in City of Rye, and ( I forget the name, but- another “Italian Steakhouse” is moving into the Zachy’s location in Scarsdale)… Sighs, nothing like a good red sauce on your steak.

This may be true. I first encountered David Burke’s kitchen prowess when he was executive chef at the famed River Cafe. Looking forward to their opening.