Creative ways to prepare a few lbs of snow peas

They’re cleaned, spine removed and ready for your help. TIA.

This glass noodle salad is a favorite of mine. The recipe makes a lot, so unless you’re feeding a big family, you’ll want to halve or quarter it.

4 ounces glass noodles
6 ounces snow peas, strings pulled
3 cups watercress, mizuna or tatsoi
8 ounces pressed tofu, cubed
¼ cup canola oil
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1½ tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
½ teaspoon sesame oil
¼ teaspoon sake
Juice of ½ lime
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
½ cup thinly sliced scallions

1. Soak noodles in lukewarm water for 15 minutes, then boil 3 minutes. Drain & rinse with cold water.

2. Blanch snow peas in salted water about 1½ minutes, and transfer to an ice bath to cool. Drain and slice lengthwise into strips about ¼-inch thick.

3. Whisk canola oil with ginger, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sake & lime juice. In a large serving bowl toss noodles with dressing. Add snow peas, tofu and greens. Sprinkle with black sesame seeds and scallions. Refrigerate covered, or serve immediately.

3 Likes

I’m going to add shrimp! Heading to the market, thxs!

1 Like

Not a regular eater of this veg but when I do I “shred” (slice into thin strips) each pod, blanch but only briefly, shock in cold water. Use in an Asian-inspired salad, best with mung bean noodles or Korean potato starch noodles.

2 Likes

Appreciate the prep reminders!

Hope you like it!

1 Like

I’ll report back.

With a picture, because it is a pretty salad.

1 Like

I love them sauteed with thinly sliced onions, red bell peppers, and thinly sliced carrots, with whatever Penzeys (or other) herb seasoning blend you like best.

1 Like

I really like snow pea raw. My wife asked for a warm meal.

1 Like

Agree, since they are so tender!

Pea and mint is a good match.

3 Likes

Agreed. In the summer, I like them in a composed salad of sorts with thin strips of marinated medium-rare steak on top.

1 Like

I’m grabbing mint too.

1 Like

I returned home to this setup. My wife, she is very funny. Deep dive on what we have on hand. A slightly diff direction for dinner.

3 Likes

Oh! Well, that looks very nice, too.

1 Like

Let’s guess what Mrs Rooster wanted to cook?

Lol. The fastest shrimp stir fry over white rice I can muster so she can go out with her gf’s for drinks!
Done and done!

Meanwhile I’m munching on raw snow peas and tinkering in the barn!

Win-win!

2 Likes

I don’t do snow peas much, but love sugar snaps about now, and find them similar. Early in the season I eat them raw in the garden, but when I start to believe I’m not dreaming, I like them blanched, dunked in ice water, then sliced for salads.

I’ll try to find recipes, but they usually involve a salty, crumbled cheese. Last year I was all about the Israeli feta.

2 Likes

@Rooster a bit late I see, but to use up a lot, my favorite application is a Japanese salad with sesame dressing — just the snow peas and the dressing. Delicious on its own or as part of a simple asian-leaning meal.

Dressing iirc has sesame paste, grated ginger or juice, a touch of honey or sugar, rice vinegar, neutral oil, and toasted sesame oil. Oh — I string the peas and do a quick blanch first.

3 Likes

Again, this suggestion will be late for you, but Ina Garten’s Comfort Food cookbook had a very nice fresh pea salad with mint and manchego: it used sugar snap peas rather than snow peas, fresh peas, manchego cheese, and mint.
The recipe does not seem to be online, but if anyone (else) who made it has access to the recipe and is willing to (privately) share, this is a delicious dish and solid recipe.
It can be served warm or room temp.

3 Likes