Creams

I love to cook with cream and butter. A very small bit noticeably improves so many dishes. Lately I have been exploring things other than my standard fare of heavy cream, cultured butter, and sour cream. Mexican crema, both the thicker sort and the sort you can pour is marvelous, often a more than adequate substitute for creme fraiche. Mounting a sauce with crema instead of butter provides a marvelous tart and unctuous taste. I love to swirl it over tacos and enchiladas of all sorts, but I also like a bit in most sauces, even where it isn’t traditionally used. Any other cream thoughts?

5 Likes

I prefer Salvadoran cream to Mexican crema. Salvadoran cream is tangier.

I am also very fond of creme fraiche.

4 Likes

Do you buy your Mexican crema, or make it?

Buy. HEB has both kinds.

1 Like

I’ll be looking for it!

I grew up with sour cream on baked potatoes. Now I make potato soup, swirl in creme fraiche and sprinkle on chives. It does wonders for the lowly potato!
I’ve yet to make my own, but Vermont Creamery makes a very good version.

4 Likes

In the authentic versions, how do you make them differently, one from the other? I ask because I’ve made a few of both based on internet recipes, and it seems a lot of them claiming to be the real deal, of either type, tend to kind of cross over each other. (And I’ve not had the chance to buy actual commercially made stuff of either type.)

If you have some go-to recipes for the real Salvadoran version, that’d be fantastic!

1 Like

I am fortunate enough to live near several Latin American grocery stores so I buy my
Salvadoran cream.

3 Likes

Since I knew that I’d need cultured buttermilk once I moved, I had some kefir grains brought over so I could use kefir as a substitute since I do not like powdered buttermilk nor do I find acidulated milk a suitable substitute. With it I make kefir cream whenever I need sour cream/ crème fraiche and for me it’s even tastier than either of those. Unlike buttermilk, I can sometimes buy both sour cream and crème fraiche here, but why bother when my kefir cream is better and cheaper?

2 Likes

If you can get your hands on 40% fat heavy cream, buy it and be prepared to taste the best whipped cream of your life :D. The stuff in the grocery store is usually 36% max and you’d be amazed at what the extra 4% does in terms of body and mouthfeel.

3 Likes

I love cream in all of its iterations. Crème fraîche is a staple in my house - more so than sour cream.

I’d be curious to know how the creams from different countries vary, as we have a couple of grocers in town who sell them.

3 Likes

Greek yogurt thinned with a little milk made a good crema substitute for my New Mexican chicken enchiladas this week.

4 Likes

Lots of Latin American grocers in ATX, too. Time to go shopping!

2 Likes

I’ve been buying Clover brand heavy cream.

It has a minimum of 40% butterfat and it’s pasteurized, but not ultra-pasteurized. I dislike ultra-pasteurized cream; to my taste it has a chalky flavor and a grainy texture.

https://cloversonoma.com/inventory/heavy-whipping-cream/

2 Likes

Sounds fantastic. I don’t think I’ve seen this brand in my area, but I will keep an eye out. I buy James Farm 40% at Restaurant Depot - it is ultra-pasteurized, unfortunately, but I have never had a problem with graininess. https://www.instacart.com/products/19189562-james-farm-40-cream-32-oz?retailer_id=449

1 Like

I make candy and ice cream. In both, ultra-pasteurized cream ruins them to my taste.

If you can source Straus heavy cream, you will have an epiphany. EXPENSIVE, but ethereal. Watch carefully if you are whipping it or you will have butter. In its absence, we use and are happy with Humboldt, which is about half the price.

4 Likes

I used to lnow the ownets of Cover Farns. Very nicr people & its a family business.

2 Likes

Manufacturing cream is 40% butterfat. I’ve seen it at Smart & Final.

1 Like

Yes, and excellent quality and price.