"Craft Raised" Salmon from Vancouver.

As opposed to farmed! :confused:
“Craft raised means reared by the hand of the experienced craftsman farmer in its natural ocean environment. Glacier-fed waters, perfect salinity and strong tidal currents result in a great salmon.”

I admit it! I like it! So why is it cheaper than the OTHER farmed salmon?

Skuna Bay Salmon.

LA Times on “Artisinal” fish farming

From Barefoot Angel

From Farm fresh Salmon

From Cooking Light

“Skuna Bay Salmon: A popular choice amongst sustainably minded top chefs, Skuna Bay farms Atlantic Salmon in low-density net pens off the coast of Vancouver. While Skuna Bay does not currently have a rating from Seafood Watch, the company is Best Aquaculture Practices Certified by the Global Aquaculture Alliance.”

Hmm.

3 Likes

Big trouble out here with Atlantic Salmon escaping their pens and mingling with our native guys. That’s in Washington state, don’t know what’s happening in Canada.

2 Likes

FWIW (given some of the writing), the Bare Food Angel Link says, “Fortunately, even if some GM Atlantic salmon escape and make their way thousands of miles north, Atlantic salmon cannot interbreed with any of the 10 species of Pacific salmon.”

This is because Atlantic and Pacific salmon belong to different genera (genus Salmo versus genus Oncorhynchus), and have different numbers of chromosomes (PSF 2015)."

I guess mingling doesn’t always mean inter-breeding, but not according to my FIL.

@small_h, @bbqboy, Does that explain why it’s cheaper? Maybe it’s cheaper to farm Atlantic salmon off the coast if Vancouver then in pens n land.

In any case, pretty sure I like it because farmed “has three times the fat”. That sounds like me. Husband does the shopping, and he likes how the prices look, and was asking why it’s so much less than all the other choices; farmed AND wild.

Here’s something!
From NPR “Why Are Atlantic Salmon Being Farmed In The Northwest?”

"The WDFW says Atlantic salmon is a “favored species” to farm in cold marine waters because the species grows quickly and consistently, is resistant to disease, and is something people like to eat. Farmed Atlantic salmon are more docile than wild fish.

Atlantic salmon also have been bred to more “efficiently turn feed into flesh,” says Michael Rust, the science adviser for NOAA’s office of aquaculture.

What used to cost several dollars per pound to grow, worldwide, now costs about $1.25, Rust says. That makes for higher profits.

In the U.S., Washington and Maine are the two largest Atlantic salmon producing states, but they’re small beans compared to salmon farms in Canada, Norway and Chile."

Doesn’t explain why THIS brand cost less.

1 Like

The article mentions that they feed the salmon mainly a vegetable diet, instead of a fish diet like most farms. That’s an interesting change - and non-typical diet for a salmon.

That would bring the cost way down according to the article. But they could also be pricing low to gain market share, very likely.

4 Likes

Thank you! Which article?

Ahhh! Maybe the Farmfresh Salmon one;

"Q: What do the salmon eat?

DM: We use consistently good and healthy ingredients. We want to reduce our use of wild fish, because we want to be at a one-to-one ratio. We want to produce a kilo of fish without using more than a kilo of fish. We use a lot of plant protein, sometimes animal protein. A big component is pea meal, as well as canola and corn. We don’t use soy, because it’s so hard for animals to digest. We use local farmers, use the healthiest ingredients, try to keep our carbon footprint low and reduce the use of wild fish. Those are our main buckets on our list of importance".

1 Like

Also the LA Times article:

Skuna Bay thinks that salmon should eat fish (as they do naturally). However, it takes 5.5 pounds of fish to produce 2.2 pounds of farmed salmon.

In Chile, the ratio can go has high 8 to 1, which is rapidly depleting our fish population. To reduce pressure on wild fish stocks, Skuna therefore uses roughly one-quarter fish to other ingredients that are plant-based.

1 Like

Since their ratio of fish to non-fish in the diet is lower than other farmed salmons, I’d assume that the color of the flesh relies heavily on coloring then.

2 Likes

Sorry I read two of the linked articles but not all of them. Where are you seeing that it is cheaper than other farmed salmon? (Cheaper than wild salmon is understandable. )

Don’t know if you mean me, but it is cheaper where we usually shop. Can’t find an ad, but here is a link to the store.

Nugget Market

It’s farmed . I do like the title though. Craft Raised . I can see this on menus . Roasted Craft Raised Brussels sprouts with parmesan .

My kids were “craft raised”, so…

3 Likes

Craft raised kids versus wild caught kids… hmmph. :thinking:

4 Likes

Ahhh…the old nature vs nurture.

I love this. On the Trail of the Orchid Child
“One genetic variant leads to the best and worst outcomes in kids” .
Not off topic…It’s about vanilla!

Doesn’t anyone else think that calling salmon “craft raised” is ridiculous and annoying?

4 Likes

I think almost everyone feels as you do.

2 Likes

Apparently, Skuna Bay Salmon is not necessarily from Skuna Bay. :thinking:

https://www.seafoodsource.com/news/supply-trade/skuna-bay-now-selling-salmon-from-norway-iceland

2 Likes

Yep, sounds like BS to me. I’ll stick with the occasional treat of wild fish.

1 Like

Maybe it means they were raised to learn a craft. “the salt baked salmon you are enjoying was previously a renowned metalsmith”

3 Likes

Maybe they were raised in a craft. A spacecraft, or a watercraft. Or by witchcraft!

4 Likes