Counter Depth Refrigerators

There’s a lot to be said about a refrigerator with a good seal. I’d rather push, and then pull, instead of having a weak seal on the one I have - Fischer Paykal/DCS. That may be why Thermidor designed that way, don’t know.

3 Likes

So it turns out no one has been willing to do the carpentry work to accommodate the taller refrigerator.

This probably belongs on the whats in your fridge thread, but maybe i need ideas on how to be more efficient .

Or maybe I need a condiment refrigerator.

2 Likes

I don’t think that looks too bad, but of course my fridge isn’t flush with the pantry cabinet right beside it either. Weird I know, but I have come to appreciate the side that does stick out to attach a few magnets and reminders to it (as it looks like you’ve done too :slight_smile:).

Carpentry is tough right now with all the high demand for home improvements. Maybe it’s a good thing because I hear wood is outright off the charts expensive.

2 Likes

If it is any consolation, there’s a long wait to get a refrigerator these days. Our second fridge was estimated to deliver the beginning of September. Nope.

The appliance store said maybe the fridge will arrive by the beginning or middle of October but we shouldn’t count on it.

1 Like

I’m going to push the editing window!

Jennair=Kitchen Aid

Husband wanted to see Kitchen Aid, but this the Jennair. This model only comes with ice and water dispenser

Top contenders- Bosch 3 and 4 door, “professional”, regular, and no handle. Three doors are in stock and can be delivered Tuesday…but they are 72 inches tall, and we have 69 inches without modifications. Only ones with two compressors.

The three door let’s you control the two crispers separately.

Dacor also looks good, but also has the in the door ice and water. Wouldn’t need $2K in modifications.

I liked the Bue Star too. Same company as the cook top? Also wouldn’t need modifications. Some deeper shelves, fewer deep door holders.

2 Likes

That extra few inches in height probably doesn’t make up for the decrease in depth, and apparently also means that installing it in an existing kitchen is even more expensive. I do think it makes an aesthetic difference whether the refrigerator is between two countertops or at the end of the counters. The protrusion is not as “discordant” in the latter case (IMHO, of course).

1 Like

Good point! Do you have an opinion about the in door ice maker? I was saying to hubs it wa a deal breaker, but everything else looks okay.

And one thing I think I’ve learned is just looking at cubic inches doesn’t tell the whole story either. They flexibility of the shelves,and how they are arranged can ma,e a difference for some families. Or couples. I have to re-irerate, it is usually just two of us, and we do entertain much.

I really like two compressors. Spillover systems are failures waiting for a place to happen.

I’m not a fan of ice and water dispensers. They chew up too much space inside the fridge. With freezer down (which I really like) they take up even more.

I’m a patient person and although appliances seem to have supply problems I’d rather wait for the right product than buy what is in stock. YMMV.

I’m surprised you are having sourcing someone for carpentry work. From your pictures it looks pretty simple to modify for a taller fridge.

1 Like

So…when will you be sailing by? We did seem to find someone this evening.

I’d love to read something besides what Sub Zero and Bosch say about the real life benefits of two compressors in this kind of refrigerator.

I am perfectly willing to wait. I don’t even WANT a new refrigerator. The Bosch “we” want is said to be available within a month.

1 Like

I did consider volunteering to help but the travel costs look out of hand. Shipping my tools would be a lot also.

I consider my work to be finish carpentry, not rising to the level of cabinetmaker. The picture I remember looks like disassembly (vice demolition) and just cleaning up the edges to match and look nice.

Thank you! I was thinking on your way to somewhere, you could just drop by this other ocean.

Finishing carpentry sounds interesting. The plan is to fill in the area above what is needed with additional cabinets with boughten doors, to match the ones on either side. That will be far more useful than the “wine rack” with dusty-geeasy bottles of 5 year old sparkling cider.

@Lambchop, we saw these as well, and they looked pretty sweet. Maybe ill add tge pictures I took tommorow-actually later today. Is there anything you DON’T like? Sorry if I’m asking you to repeat yourself.

That sounds like a good plan to me. Again, I think disassembly followed by using the bits to build a new face frame to mount the purchased doors. Doors are really cabinet work so buying makes a lot of sense.

1 Like

Second on this. I have this in my fridge, hate it, prefer the space.

2 Likes

I would be fine with just an ice maker in the freezer, but my hubs insists (insisted when we bought this refrigerator, anyway), that we needed a crushed ice dispenser. We had a separate ice crusher at one point, but it didn’t work well and took up valuable counter space. We have only ten feet of counter space, which includes 4 feet in corners, and a butcher block, which I think it is stupidest idea for a built-in counter top ever foisted upon an unthinking public. And we have room for only a 33-inch refrigerator.

1 Like

Thanks!

Are you saying you have a built in butcher block counter top, and that it’s a bad idea? Not really considering one, but why?

Yes, it’s a built-in butcher block counter top. It was built in when the house was built in the 1960s and by now it looks pretty gross. I would never use it to cut anything on at this point (or for the last several decades), but it’s full of spots and stains I can’t get rid of. I have no desire to redo all my counter tops (though the rest of them [Formica] are also somewhat stained), but having the one done doesn’t seem to make sense if I don’t do the rest.

[I’ve started a new thread on what order one should re-do a kitchen.]

1 Like

Have you tried sanding it down?

I did try sanding it, but given I was using just sandpaper and elbow grease, it was not very effective. I suppose I should try an electric sander, right?

I’d use a belt sander. BIG sander. grin