COTM December 2022 - Voting

I haven’t decided how to vote yet, but I have a few comments:

If you look at the EYB index for Arabesque and filter to see how many vegetarian recipes are in there, it says 5 (and none vegan). This is absolutely incorrect. There are many vegetarian recipes in there, and vegan recipes as well. Not sure why this is wrong on EYB, but I wanted everyone to be aware in case you were hesitant to vote for the book based on the lack of vegetarian options.

Both Mexican Everyday and More Mexican Everyday have been COTM in the past over on Chowhound. I thought I had probably cooked everything from them I wanted to, but a look through both books shows there is a lot I still haven’t made. I think these would be good as a pair for a future COTM.

2 Likes

Arabesque was also a COTM on Chowhound.

A long, long time ago! I wasn’t really making a point about those books being COTM before, but more noting that even though they were, there was still a lot of material yet to cover (for me). Surprisingly, I don’t have Arabesque. When it came out, I recall hearing that it had a lot of overlap with The New Book of Middle Eastern food, which I already had. I don’t know if that’s really true or not, and I wouldn’t be averse to acquiring Arabesque if it wins.

Please remove my vote for Mexican Everyday. I am really surprised that my library hasn’t got it. I won’t get either of the others in time so won’t vote. Thanks!

Hello, pavlova.
You can remove your vote by clicking the knife and fork again, but I also will not count it.

Uh oh – a tie in the final hours! Someone please vote. I will not be breaking the tie, as I do not have access to either book.

@maestra, you can only change your vote by re-clicking the knife and fork within a few hours of when you originally clicked it. Days later, there is no way to do that, so you will have to take her request into account for your tally.

1 Like

Got it; thank you. :slight_smile:

We have a winner! Reporting threads will go up soon.

Which cookbook is the winner?

Sorry – just now getting to putting up a reporting thread. I planned to do it early this morning, but our kitten suffered a sudden accident, so between work and the hospital, I’ve just gotten home again.

1 Like

Oh no! Poor kitten. Hope it is okay. I’m in no rush—just nosy.

1 Like

It was Arabesque by two votes (one for Mexican Everyday was not counted). Kitten is in the hospital overnight after surgery on a broken leg. Surgery must have gone fine since they haven’t called us. It was weird to come home to an empty, calm house. We’ve only had him for two months, but of course he’s 100% part of the family.

5 Likes

Sorry for your kitty. Hope a speedy recovery!

I guess you are occupied with the hospital, home and work. As mod for Cooking Discussions board, I’ve create the December COTM this time to help.

1 Like

maestra did put a thread, it is here. She just neglected to post the link here. So now we have two. One needs to be deleted, and the archive should point to the one that remains.

I see, sorry I didn’t see this, I was looking in Cooking, cookbooks, ingredients instead of the larger Cooking Discussions board. I will delete mine.

We have five us now who have volunteered to coordinate COTM (me, saregama, caitlin, valadelphia, and maestra), so if the coordinator for the month misses a post, one of us will catch it and fill in. In the future if you have a concern about the COTM posts, it might be best to reach out to one of us first to avoid duplication. Thanks!

OK, I’ve just added the COTM tag in @maestra 's thread. Everything is good now.

Thank you for watching out. My day was super busy, and once I created that thread I needed to be away from the computer again. I don’t think I have the ability to adjust tags, so that’s why you couldn’t find it.

1 Like

And now it’s time to start the process for January. Find the new nomination thread here: