Costco boneless "short ribs". Fast or slow cook?

It’s been a while since I bought those boneless “short Ribs” at Costco. Yeah they come from the chuck. I have braised them and done them SV. These days I look for a well marbled chuck roast which is often less per pound for similar braising applications. Also good for grinding into a burger blend

1 Like

Bought some, froze then defrosted some, and going to try sous vide at 131 for 48 hours. 72 hours always smells too “funky” to me.

1 Like

deleted. Redundant post

1 Like

These pics are from November. The short ribs from Costco made for an outstanding 8-hour slow cooker Thai Red Curry. One of the best meals I’ve ever had it my life, prepared by my BF.

9 Likes

Thank you! That sounds perfect. I am doing that! If you are recommending a certain recipe, please share.

I don’t have a recipe, but it contained red curry paste, lots of fresh ginger and garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce, and chili-garlic sauce (I think Lee Kum Kee, or a similar looking brand).

Pan sear and toss in slow cooker for about eight hours.

(FYI: the sauce also works as a marinade for grilled chicken and steaks).

1 Like

The recipes I’m finding include coconut milk…which I love! Does yours?

He did not use coconut milk but I can’t see that doing any harm. I’m not sure if he used an actual recipe or did it off the top of his head.

What I do know is that your house will be filled with a mouth-watering aroma for hours!

2 Likes

Do you know what’s in the red curry paste? I can buy some, but I’ve got so much stuff!

Recipetineats

We used a jar version. I think it was Thai Kitchen.

1 Like

On it.

1 Like

Good luck! Please post pics!

I ended up on a Country Square adventure I will post elsewhere.

So far;

I didn’t see the usual green and red curry paste, but these looked good. Which one? I got the penang. When you open the container, it is in a vaccum sealed bag; stiffer than I anticipated. I used it as a rub.

I WAS going to make the paste myself,

but no. I got distracted. Including more live Dungeness crabs!

Yes to the green beans, and the fresh pork shank with skin!

Here is the rubbed beef.

5 Likes

You’re off to a good start!

I’m sure Penang is fine, but the Thai restaurant by me makes a killer Massaman Curry short rib. Just sayin’.

1 Like

Pan seared then the slow cook settinh.

5 Likes

Looks delicious! How was it???

The sauce was delicious, I felt the meat texture was to my liking, pieces probably should have been cut smaller, husband wasn’t sure that beef was suitable. I will probably report back after trying it as a leftover.

2 Likes

Those “short ribs” look outstanding. I suspect flap meat. I picked up some cuts that looked like that from BJ’s. Forgot what they called them but there are intensely marbled. Figured a braise would work well but also a low and slow smoke could yield excellent results

2 Likes

I bought this today at Costco. As an Argentine master grill I don’t think this is gonna be good if I cook it Argie style :roll_eyes:

2 Likes