Costco boneless "short ribs". Fast or slow cook?

Here’s a pretty good explanation…

Boneless ribs is a marketing term, I think.
I’ve done them both ways.

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with American meat cuts but that looks like something I’d slow cook. Seems ideal for a “low and slow” braise.

2 Likes

Watch me act like a “nut” and do both!

Thanks all! I’m off to work.

1 Like

I was here to say you could do either – or both! I have had luck doing a hot, fast sear on those (to the rare side of medium rare) or the low and slow braise – it is an unusually versatile cut.

3 Likes

https://aggiemeat.tamu.edu/pork-country-sty

Although not always considered a barbecue cut, pork country style ribs are another common “rib” product. They are typically cut from the posterior of a 406 Pork Shoulder, Butt, Bone-in, or from the anterior portion of a 410B Pork Loin, Rib End, Bone-in. Either portion is split longitudinally ventral (beneath) the scapula or blade bone such that each portion contains a portion of the blade bone, or part of the vertebra with attached rib bone.le-ribs/

2 Likes

Color me an idiot. I assumed these were pork, not beef.
For beef, fast sear definitely.

1 Like

I just cooked beef short ribs from Costco. Prime, bone-in, about 8" long. $10/lb.

I salted & peppered and browned them. Deglazed the pan with red wine and beef stock, all (on a bed of onions, carrots, celery, lemon grass, 2 tsp smoked paprika, 4 drops liquid smoke) into a slow cooker on low for 8 hours. Cooled and then refrigerated over night, de-fatted the next day and warmed it up to serve over rice. Fabulous.

I am of the low and slow school for short ribs of beef.

4 Likes

I’ve used this slow cooked recipe with the boneless Costco short ribs before and it came out well, even if the recipe does call for bone-in ribs:

For quick cooking, maybe a Korean galbi?

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/la-galbi

2 Likes

I was sort of wondering if I should be able to make the connection between the pork and beef cuts. Maybe I should? :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyway, I added some sear with a grill pan

May eat one at 145 degrees F . (ETA, I did, and it was good!)

while the H goes to the gym, and braise the rest. Won’t be 4 hours, and I’m thinking beef broth with bbq sauce.

He likes “gravy”, but not what he immediately identified as “fatty meat”. He wants gravy from lean meat. Really?

I thought someone mentioned a beer braise. I have beer, and some red wine, but he’s not a beer or wine guy. Takes all kinds!

How long for the beer presence to cook off?

Oops! I had GINGER beer!

2 Likes

It was Short Ribs Braised in Porter Ale with Maple-Rosemary Glaze from the Chowhounnd thread.

Here’s one with ginger beer.

1 Like

Not much made it to two or three hours. Lots of tastings.

8 Likes

Were these tender at 145? I believe Costco’s boneless “short ribs” are actually chuck roast cut into long strips, made to resemble short ribs (sort of like the beef version of pork country-style “ribs”). I wouldn’t think they’d be especially tender unless braised, although it does look as though yours were cut from a well-marbled section of the chuck. I find they vary greatly in appearance/texture/marbling from store to store and visit to visit.

2 Likes

Agreed! In fairness to me, our beef short ribs around here don’t look anything like the picture.
That’s why I assumed they were pork, as you’re saying.

1 Like

Yeah - because what Costco sells as boneless short ribs definitely are NOT short ribs, LOL! Here’s what they look like with bones in:

So here’s what an ACTUAL short rib looks like with bones out:

You can see the naturally-occurring fat/meat striations are completely different than Costco’s product.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’d use the word tender, like Wagyu tender, but it was not chewy. It was like I like my NY Strip, and I think I liked it better than the braised version ( which I tested a teeny piece of straight out of the oven). Husband seemed to enjoy the braised version, even though before cooking he christened it “fatty meat!”. I had to seduce him with the promise of gravy, but he had several servings.

I am usually at Costco for prime NY Strip, and I don’t often buy THIS cut, but every once in a while it looks amazing. I’ve never seen them label this cut as prime, but sometimes the marbeling looks better than what they label as prime.

1 Like

I agree, I always look through the packages to see if any of them look especially nice. I have a hard time paying what they ask for it, though, given that I have been finding whole PRIME ribeye for almost the same price (last week flank, boneless short rib and skirt were all $9-10 per pound, and whole prime boneless ribeye was just $10.99!).

3 Likes

This is a part of the chuck. It’s excellent cooked sous vide at 131 for 48-72 hours.

1 Like

It’s been a while since I bought those boneless “short Ribs” at Costco. Yeah they come from the chuck. I have braised them and done them SV. These days I look for a well marbled chuck roast which is often less per pound for similar braising applications. Also good for grinding into a burger blend

1 Like

Bought some, froze then defrosted some, and going to try sous vide at 131 for 48 hours. 72 hours always smells too “funky” to me.

1 Like

deleted. Redundant post

1 Like