Costco 2019

Wow, I am 100% trying this if they have it at my local Costco! I’m sure you are aware of this, but you can take it back if you dont like it for a full refund. Thanks for pointing this out.

How about their macadamia nuts? A 25 or 24 oz bag is 20

I paid 35 for a 25oz on prime. The issue is they were mauna loa which are the tastiest IMO. I’m wondering how the $20 bag stacks up.

Great deal on the Mac nuts, but they aren’t as good. I too am spoiled by the Mauna Loa products. The absolute best. Not much to lose though, with their generous refund policy. I have had oxidized nuts at Costco, or the beginning of rancidity, especially in the snack and candy section. Not too often though.
In their baking section, the bagged nuts are typically stellar.

I picked up one yesterday. Pretty good. Worth it for a good holiday party if you have a better knife than they provide, and the skill to cut it translucently thin.

I’ve been morning the loss of the jamon iberico at my closest Wegmans, so if they started offering this at Costco is be ecstatic. I did splurge and pay an arm and a leg for some from a Spanish foods specialty store.

They also started carrying a brand of Stroopwaffles that I find pretty good. I was spoiled with real Dutch ones from co-workers, but I’ve find ones from stores here to be terrible. These Costco ones are pretty close and get nice soft with coffee too.

Generally I’ve had good luck with their seasonal fruits, but every once in a while I get a pack that starts good bad early.

@kobuta, I used to work at Costco part time for two years; I used to tell this to customers too - if you’re looking at boxed fruits that are open on the top, feel free to look at the fruit all over, and select from other boxes to get a box of good looking fruit. (I always try to smell the stone fruits - no aroma, no flavor. Includes strawberries too.) They have employees sorting through the produce all the time as well. One caveat - the way fruits are stored, with gasses pumped into a cold room, will lead to a shorter life, once the fruit reaches the end of the supply chain - your home. So I try to use everything reasonably fast, jam it, or freeze for smoothies. I find this true not only for seasonal fruits, but especially the styro packed mushrooms. Ha, but I don’t freeze them for smoothies, just need a mushroom heavy menu for a week.

Yeah, I haven’t been thrilled with a lot of the fruit my company gets from the Costco corporate shipment, for that very reason–because they’re rock hard when they get to us and then ripen too quickly for our small bunch to eat quickly enough.

I love the unusual selection of grapes at Costco, that you normally wouldn’t see at the regular supermarkets. They are real sweet.

As a general rule, no smell, no flavor

Yep

For any macadamia fans, I bought a bag today for 20. They are great! They aren’t dry and they have plenty of salt…top notch buy.

3 Likes

I don’t want to overstep, but I had always bought grapes from the grocery, and the first time I bought grapes from a Farmers Market, it was a revelation. Compared to sugary but one note grocery grapes, FM grapes can be sweet, tart, both, floral, spicy. Please if you have an FM near you, visit in August or Sept and see which vendors are selling grapes. You may never go back to Costco for them. Well, except if you want grapes anytime other than Aug-Oct! We ended up actually planting some vines of a variety called Canadice after trying them at the FM.

3 Likes

Thanks @Sasha! I’ll have to look into an FM next year for grapes. We have one near us, but I don’t remember if they had a large variety of grapes. Mrs. P usually does the shopping.

I saw them when I was at Costco last week. The price is incredible as I pay over $1000 for a cinco botas iberico ham from La Tienda. I believe Costco’s ham comes with a jamonero too but not one of the top quality one. ( according to Johnston’s cremaster, he purchase a cheaper one that broke. Also, when one wants to turn the ham, one has to remove the ham rather than use the swivel. I had my son pick up a beautiful hard wood swivel jamonero a few years ago from Barcelona, always wish I could buy a ham readily that has the hoof as this jamonero can only work for a whole bone in ham with hoof .However, Costco did not carry such a ham then until now when I. can no longer eat ham. With. a Michelangelo ham carving knife from Spain one can carve out a very thin slice with precision. They retail for over $200.00 but works wanders. Here is a video . IMG_0684|700x525 cannot eat pork! What a shame!
https://www.tienda.com/products/bone-in-iberico-de-bellota-jamon

2 Likes

also @mq7070 ,
Yes, the Michelangelo knife from Spain is perfect for perfect slicing. My son picked one up from Barcelona for around $200.00 but I believe it may have been discontinued
I doubt if I will be having another Christmas with a black hoof bellota ham
It is a beautiful way to eat ham with friends during Xmas holiday

Somehow, this picture did not upload when I posted.

2 Likes

Some articles recommending Costco items and revealing some secrets to getting good deals.

Lamb ribs 13.99 a pound today. I’m not paying that.

Most of the jamon turned out to be poorly cured and dried out. A waste of money in the end.

1 Like

That was a nice read, Grey! Thanks for posting it!

1 Like

Most probably know this, but do you know that you can get a second person a card with your membership? It can be anyone and doesn’t have to be family.