Cost of butter in your area?

4 Likes

Usually, it’s the butterfat content. By law in the U.S., all butters require a minimum of 80% butterfat. Kerrygold is 82% butterfat, while LOL is 80.93%. I saw in an article in my search that Vital Farms has 85% butterfat.

Here’s a (limited) chart from SFGate:

https://www.sfgate.com/recipes/article/When-Put-to-the-Test-Here-s-How-Butter-Brands-3236719.php

7 Likes

I picked up some Kerrygold to see what all the hoopdela was about. My husband and I both agreed it tasted no different than store brand butter. But a lot of people think it’s the cat’s meow so your mileage may vary.

4 Likes

Everything LindaWhit said.

Plus, some European style butter is made with cultured milk, so it has a different flavor. I find it delicious on fresh, warm bread.

4 Likes

Its VERY yellow!
We like french butter, President isn’t bad but there is one in a little tub I like a lot.
Will google and see if I can find it.

3 Likes

Thanks. I don’t use much butter (salted stick for mac and cheese, baked potatoes, and fried eggs; unsalted tub for matzoh every morning) so I suspect I wouldn’t even notice the difference.

3 Likes

LOL!! The drop is on! I’m reduced to buying boring store brand from Kwik Trip for $2.50.

2 Likes

Update here… I’m in the Bronx this week sitting for my dog nephew, and I saw Breakstone’s butter for $7.89/lb. Smaller neighborhood market (C-Town) Most people who shop here don’t have cars. Eeesh.

2 Likes

There is a local dairy farm that sells rolled butter that tastes amazing on fresh bread. Far and away better than our default which is Kirtland…still good but the local stuff blows it away. It’s a once in a while splurge.

3 Likes

That’s how it is by me. Amish roll butter is $6/lb. It’s amazing compared to store bought. A splurge is a good way to put it.

4 Likes

This isn’t an Amish dairy but local and family owned for many generations. Mostly drug and herbicide free farm. I have my own opinions on the Amish community.

2 Likes

Same. There’s a ton where we live, and I don’t buy from them. Plenty of other local farmers I can support instead.

3 Likes

We have an Amish roll butter out west.
Has nothing to do with the Amish other than using the name.

1 Like

Well, here in Penna you can pretty much count on things being Amish when they’re called “Amish”… and being sold by the Amish :smiley:

5 Likes

Yep, here too. A very large population of Amish people within an hour drive of CLE.

2 Likes
1 Like

Today at Grocery Outlet on Geary, SF, 1 lb Challenge butter is $2.50. I don’t think you can find a lower price here.

3 Likes

At " Lucky’s " in North San Francisco Bay area. This is where I often find bargains, but there was no butter on sale.

I think most, but not all of these are 1/2 pound. I think the Tillamook and the Clover organic is 1 pound.

Cream and 1/2 &1/2

2 Likes

Thanks for posting all this good info. Also @Aubergine.

Interesting that there is a Lucky’s (not necessarily your Lucky’s) less than 3 miles from @Aubergine’s Grocery Outlet where (on sale) the Challenge butter is 34% of the cost at Lucky’s.

Your cream prices are crazy high, too!

I really should check our local Grocery Outlet, but they never seem to have the stuff folks post about on the HO Grocery Outlet threads.