Cost of butter in your area?

Hey Greg, next time you’re in a grocery could you take a look at the cost of a quart of heavy cream? Just curious if it’s a lot cheaper than what I and another have seen. (Aldi store brands now ~$4/quart, name-brand at Kroger over $5/quart; upthread Pilgrim said SF area was more like twice the cost I see at Aldi here in the Southeastern US.)

2 Likes

FWIW, heavy cream in ShopRite in Aberdeen (NJ) is $2.99/pt, $5.49/qt for the store brand, $3.99/pt, $5.99/qt for Farmland, and $5.79/pt for Horizon Organic.

3 Likes

Shoprite in Westchester County NY (Instacart prices today 7/6/22)
LOL is $5.82/lb
Bowl and Basket (Shoprite brand)$4.18/lb
Plugra on sale! $3.29/8oz
Hotel Bar/Breakstone both $6.59/lb

A few weeks ago I saw Horizon Organic butter for $11.99/lb!!!

2 Likes

Butter prices at Trader Joes today in Peabody MA.

7 Likes

DH just bought a 4 pack of butter today. Works out to $3.22/ pound at Costco.

3 Likes

I buy Weyauwega which is now $7.19. I haven’t paid attention to the price but it seems maybe $1 or more higher than six months ago.

I’m not surprised. I think the recession started June 1 and it’s hurting a lot of people in just fuel and food costs. We laugh at countries with 15% - 20% inflation but right now we’re sitting at nearly 9% without food and energy factored in. This is getting real serious real fast folks.

3 Likes

Haha. There’s a certain sticker that started showing up at gas pumps not long ago. Wonder if it’ll show up in the butter/cream aisle in groceries.

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

:flushed: :roll_eyes: :joy:

1 Like

Shoot, I was just at IGA. I bought some a few weeks ago, I think it was above $3.50, whereas previously a hair under $3. I just remember being taken a tad by the price jump. I miss getting bulk tank milk from my neighbor. Man, that’s some cream.

3 Likes

Was at the Port Chester Costco today - Kerrygold has gone up to $12.99!

They also had the Kirkland brand grass-fed New Zealand butter, which tastes very much like my beloved, hard-to-find Anchor. It’s not available at every store, though - the Yonkers store never has it. $9.99 for two pounds. I bought this today instead of Kerrygold.

Their standard sticks are holding steady at $13.99 for four pounds ($3.50/lb).

7 Likes

I need to get my MIL to check Costco prices here; she goes sometimes. The grocery price here for Kerrygold last time I looked (which admittedly was several weeks back) was like $6.50 per half pound.

1 Like

At my local Hannaford (Lowell, MA) prices online are:

LOL- $5.99/lb.
Cabot - $4.99/lb.
Kate’s - $5.49/lb.
Hannaford’s brand - $3.49/lb.
Nature’s Promise Organic - $6.49/lb.

Kerrygold - $4.69 / 8 oz.
Nellie’s Free Range Slow-Churned Sea Salted - $3.49 / 8 oz.
Truly Grass-fed Salted - $3.19 / 8 oz.
Cabot’s Extra Creamy Sea Salted Premium - $3.29 / 8 oz.
Casco Bay Creamery Sea Salted - $3.99 / 8 oz.
Vital Farms Sea Salted - $3.99 / 8 oz.

Haven’t tried any of the last five 8 oz.-priced butters except Vital Farms awhile back and I honestly cannot remember it standing out.

4 Likes

They may well. Idjits who don’t understand the most basic economics are everywhere.

2 Likes

Yeah, Kerrygold is quite expensive at my regular supermarket as well, I think around $5.50 per half pound. Plugra is usually a little less expensive than other European butters but it’s still over $4 per half pound. Costco for the win!

2 Likes

Get ready, cheese is about to go up, too, again. Eggs just jumped again in the store. Amish roll butter $6/lb.

1 Like

Yeah. And I stated this thread about 7 weeks ago talking about using $4.50 worth of Aldi heavy cream (1.5 quarts) to make about a pound of butter. Now that same Aldi cream is $6.40 for the same 1.5 quarts.

About a 42% price increase in less than 2 months.

2 Likes

$6.16 for Central Market European Style. One pound.

3 Likes

In the UK Kerrygold is mid-market, and runs at about $5/lb

1 Like

Okay, this will clearly label me a Philistine, but what is the difference between store brand butter and Kerrygold/Pluga/other “fancy” brands? (Besides several dollars a pound, of course. :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Down to $5.96 a few minutes ago.