Coronavirus - what to stock up on?

Received a $50 gift card from Penzey’s for Christmas, so decided to get an order in the pipeline. Got a lot of stuff, including freebies of English Prime Rib Rub and Smoked Spanish Paprika, which we love. Got a couple soup bases for when in a pinch to boost flavor, and that I don’t readily find elsewhere. Ham Base and Seafood Base. Some fresh turmeric, green cardamom pods, coriander seeds, mace and blade mace. Stuff like that. Will be good to have on hand, in case of supply chain problems, since a lot of it is imported. Only $8 out of pocket. And free shipping too!

3 Likes

H said supermarket’s empty food shelves is back to normal, although coronavirus is hitting high, nearly 1000 cases in the whole country. Drive-in service has increased 40% compared to normal days.

Interesting @naf, hear it’s really surging in Europe…

YES, and soon we will enter STAGE 3 emergency stage, meaning a downgrade in terms of medical treatment. Right now, at stage 2, people feeling sick with suspicion can call an ambulance and they will be sent to the isolated area of the hospital right away. Stage 3 means, go to see your own family doctor with everybody waiting in the same room, if you aren’t considered very serious by your doctor, he will send you back home to quarantine yourself. LAME!

I try to understand this means that they don’t have enough bed in the hospital for everybody.

I think it’s just that it’s the best tasting of the milk alternatives.

This is the standard of care in the U.S. right now. Except I think they are making people wait in their cars.

@naf, nor do they want to expose others. In US, not enough test kits or masks. I’m ok with that. Had to have a phone visit with on call doc today, said to just stay home and monitor for fever. So far, so good. BTW, part of the reason the Spanish flu became endemic, is that WW1 was ramping up and occurring; housing of so many soldiers in barracks contributed, as well as the huge hospital wards, with people side by side. Some may not have even had the flu before being hospitalized.

So this Corona crap has so many people in a panic . That the emergency rooms will be filled with people who think . Oh I might . The real emergency victims of heart attacks and so on will have a slower doctor’s response. Knock all this off now. Just stop it please from this media scare .

2 Likes

Indeed. If you think you have CV symptoms, CALL YOUR MD to discuss your situation and to receive instruction for where to go for care. DO NOT GO TO AN ER where you may infect or be infected by CV or other viruses and, as emglow says, divert attention of immediate medical intervention to those in critical need.

4 Likes

Hence the phone visit today @emglow101, and @pilgrim; we all need to stay calm. Hope I haven’t added to the sense of panic for anyone. As I’ve said before @emglow, you’re in an especially great place to ride this out. I don’t trust media reports, that’s why I think it’s important to report on experiences in our own back yards’ so to speak.

As far as my HMO goes, they’re responding very well to this near panic situation, and carefully screening and triaging patients.

We need to face it that this particular horse is out of the barn, and it’s too late to get the door closed. But we can all be sensible and be proactive, protecting ourselves, being prepared, not scared!

5 Likes

In the UK, everyone thinking they have symptoms has to ring the National Health Service help line for advice (if you contact your family doctor, they will tell you to ring the help line). This may result in self-isolation advice or they may test for the virus. They may send someone to test you at home or you may be told to attend at a testing clinic at a local hospital (ours is in a temporary building isolated from the main hospital). Seems to be working so far but this is very early stages still.

4 Likes

On Friday, H got informed from his office of the possibility that people should stay home to work, starting sometime next week.

1 Like

I think that’s going to be good for people whose jobs allow them to work from home but of course, for many that’s impossible. I think we’re likely to see major “containments”, such as just announced in Italy. On the other hand, we have a family member whose job involves a lot of international travel. Currently, his project requires him to be in Turkey during each week. His employer first told him not to travel and do what work he could from home, but that’s now been changed and he’s required to travel again from this week.

I think the situation, at least here in the UK, still seems very confused and, to be frank, the politicans are not helping. For once, they should keep their mouths shut and leave the giving of advice to the medical experts.

3 Likes

Elections here next weekend for the mayors. Since no gatherings is allowed, not much campaign is going on. They have no idea to postpone the voting or not.

1 Like

Our elections are not till the beginning of May. Local councillors and the regional mayors. I doubt if the virus will effect anything - numbers voting in local elections are generally low and many of us vote by post in any case.

My quarantine prep

13 Likes

Britain’s biggest supermarket chain starts rationing customers:

2 Likes

Mercury News article

Just too much bad advice. Per CDC washing with soap and water is better than hand sanitizer. No reason to focus on hand sanitizer at home including during a quarantine. Two to three pound portions of ground beef in the freezer? How many people are you feeding? Eight to twelve? You need to break that product down. A quarter pound per serving per person is a good number, perhaps two for teenagers or large athletic adults. If you’re feeding two adults what do you do with the extra two-and-a-half pounds of beef that has been thawed? Fail for the Mercury News.

I think you may want more toilet paper. grin

2 Likes

Probably true on the TP. I know I want more bourbon.

2 Likes