Coronavirus - what to stock up on?

What is it with the toilet paper? Somehow that hardly seems like a critical product. Buy more soap (of which there seems to be plenty), or canned foods, or even water, but toilet paper?!

I guess it’s about the preservation of our “dignity”. Those of us who are about to die, salute you - but we’ll not adopt third world arse-cleaning practices.

5 Likes

IMO, no one in the U.S. needs to worry about toilet paper, unless they live remotely. It suggests to me that people are starting to panic and hoard. All workplaces and systems supporting anything are strained, and everyone with the sniffles is urged to stay home. Lots of people are working from home. So…skeleton crews in some places. The supplies are there, but things aren’t being restocked fast enough for some people’s peace of mind. I’m a little concerned about imports, but think it’s important to remember, we have massive warehouses and distribution centers in our country. Thankfully. Don’t know much about any where else.

3 Likes

This is an automated message from Hungry Onion to let you know that your post was hidden.
Sorry re my post to u .

No worries at all @ccj, noticed that yesterday. Message me privately, if you’d like.

I am very fussy about my TP. The time before the last time I was at my local grocer they were out of that particular one and I was nearly out myself. So the next time I saw I bought 2 in anticipation of all the other hoarders.

I’ve got a two month supply on two RX’s and if things are the same when they run out I’m calling the doctor and begging for refills because I don’t want to be anywhere near a doctor’s office.

No worries about that for me. I request my repeat prescription online and it goes, via the doctor, to the local pharmacy.

1 Like

My point precisely. Figures vary widely (and wildly), but I would say 1 roll per person per week is a reasonable starting point, So those 30-roll packages at Costco are good for one person for about four months. People buying four or five packages, even with a family of four or five, are buying enough for four months.

Meanwhile, at the recommendation of a gallon per person per day, they would need 500 gallons of water for four months At 5 gallons a case of Kirkland water, they would need to buy 100 cases, or a 25-to-1 ratio. That’s not what I’m seeing in the carts.

If my recent experience foreshadows what’s to come, you won’t have to beg. I had a phone visit with doc last Tuesday - extremely productive, and she made sure to write out refills for all my Rx’s. She was taking care of as much as she could in one phone call, @jcostiones.

1 Like

Belge humour, a promotion of Shop & Go in Bruxelles:
Vaccine of the moment
Buy 2 Corona, 1 Mort Subite offered

4 Likes

I think the fear comes from people thinking toilet paper is produced in China, aka shortage.

Too funny @naf - thanks for sharing. I was going to put liquid morphine on my wish list of things to have on hand for this scare, but was afraid some others may take it too seriously…

Indeed, the main office Delhaize was not aware of this promotion in one of their shops and forced it to get rid of the promotion immediately.

Funny, I am subscribed to a neighborhood network here in suburban Philly. It was recently reported that there are two confirmed cases in the county. There is only one response to the post to date, and I quote: “Does this mean we should buy all the toilet paper?”

Odd what we fixate on. I generally have a month’s worth of tp on hand (household of 2, so 4 rolls is enough). Then again I also have a month’s worth of water, pasta, frozen chicken and beef, frozen vegs, etc. We’ve had a mild winter, but in winter I like a stock for snowstorms/power outages and in summer I like a stock for power outages due to severe thunderstorms.

1 Like

The joke continues on Twitter.
Buy 2 Corona, 1 Mort Subite and 1 bière tombale * offered
*tombstone beer (Belge)

1 Like

I find it quite hilarious…

I have auto refill so I don’t even go on online but at some point the refills run out and the doctor wants to see you again which I’m trying to avoid. Nothing against being around a bunch of sick people but…

1 Like

See if your insurance carrier has a “virtual urgent care” option. I have access to two “tele-medicine” options, which lets me speak to a doctor who can write me a prescription, if necessary.

2 Likes

Thank you.