Coronavirus - what to stock up on?

I’m not too worried about paper products, actually, as I do know we manufacture a lot of it here in the U.S. , especially in the southeastern part of the country. I think we have some operating pulp and paper mills up here as well. I have no idea how that sector is responding to this crisis, but I presume, sick employees are strongly advised to stay home. Highly doubt they’re shutting down entire lines. Have no idea of inventory levels at huge distribution points though.

Both youngest kid and H are mandated to work from home through March if not longer. They’re keeping the lights on, and gas flowing, however.

Compromised as I am, I’m not panicking, just taking certain actions. I picked up some fast Mexican food. Could see nor hear anyone coughing. I’m still comfortable eating out, but will ask if any of the servers or kitchen staff are sick. I take wipes and sanitizers with me for quick wipe downs. I have some super wipes (tiny) for cleaning my line, but I’ve got a lot, and would use them for hand sanitizing or other things, if I deem risk to be higher than usual. Even at the 2 medical clinics I frequent, I simply don’t see people coughing or sneezing. Very sick people, yes. Earlier in my journey, saw a lot of it, but that was regular flu or cold virus symptoms.

For myself, just taking it a day at a time, things will get easier when H returns from ski trip, and I’ll have both an errand boy, and cook back lol. Along with some company during the day. Not used to having him around all the time, so we’ll see how it goes…

The NPR link is political?

Once a topic(s) are flagged they are no longer visible until a moderator takes some action on the flagged post. So for now my request is to keep any/all comments on the food related topics of the thread and shy away from any political commentary.

Thank you

1 Like

Hi saregama, @NotJrvedivici was talking about 2 other posts that were flagged (and vanished!), not your NPR post. His “reply” to you was unintentional with his “mod hat on” post. Hope this is clear for you.

Talked to a friend in Orange County, Ca today who said TP was all wiped out at her local Costco. As mentioned in an earlier post, I’m not too worried about that product, as I think people are panicking and hoarding it.

No phone problems today, but it was certainly wonky yesterday.

Oatmilk…

1 Like

Well that’s…odd. Since shelf-stable cow milk exists.

2 Likes

Yes. UHT milk https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-temperature_processing often referred to as Parmalat, which is a brand (so like referring to facial tissues as “Kleenex”). I’ve seen it in grocery stores in odd places including the international aisle and the baby food aisle. Lots of people don’t realize it exists. You can often find it in sippy boxes which are convenient for people who bake but don’t otherwise use much milk.

It’s worth noting that Mini Moos and other single serving creamer are UHT and shelf stable.

I think it’s good and we always keep a quart on the shelf. I often use it making yogurt as part of rotating stock. Some people detect a burnt flavor. That appears to be a genetic trait similar to cilantro tasting of soap.

Probably more than you want to know but the discussion is common in my constituency. By the way, if you lean toward powdered milk apparently Nido gets the highest rating among sailors.

1 Like

I’ve come across Parmalat in Spain. At home, our normal supermarket sells its own label UHT milk in Tetrapacks - skimmed, semi-skinned or full fat.

1 Like

@Auspicious, & all else interested in shelf stable milk products: the Hawaiian islands have no dairy on the islands, so are totally dependent on imports for all types of refrigerated milk products, dairy wise or not. I can imagine many people living in more remote parts of the islands use shelf stable milk products of their choice. When there last October, we learned the stores, as well as all the distribution points for food, to supply the total population would last only 10 days. In fact they are reliant on imports for most of what they eat, excluding the abundance of some tropical fruits, what people grow, and some pineapples.

Same applies to Alaska, as you can imagine. They do have one working, and fairly large dairy, but probably not enough to provision the entire state, or practical to do so. People in more remote parts depend on UHT or others. Luckily, some people eat a lot of game up there, as well as fish. Good thing there are abundant resources if the worst case scenario should occur. I’m afraid however, many of the younger Arctic population, having not learned the old ways, would thus truly suffer any shortages. Talk about a brutal climate in which to exist!

1 Like

Plus, good ol’ evaporated milk. Dilute by half, and you’ve got the equivalent of whole milk. Not the greatest flavor for drinking as is, but fine for cooking. Undiluted, it keeps melted cheese from breaking, and in coffee, tastes close to half&half or light cream. Cheaper than UHT tetrapak milk.

4 Likes

Anywhere at the far end of logistics chains. In addition to Alaska and Hawaii Bermuda, Bahamas, and Caribbean. Also in places where refrigeration is limited or conventional refrigeration is small - more of the world than you might think.

1 Like

Want to hear my crazy-pants theory? People remember when oat bran was supposed to cure everything. Now they think oat milk cures COVID-19.

I think you’re giving “people’s” attention-span and/or memory far  more credit than it deserves…:wink:/:rofl:

1 Like

Agree @greygarious, it would be my first choice to have on hand, and I’m hoping to get a case or two. In fact, I always like to have some on hand for cooking projects or coffee if we happen to run out of cream and half n half. Like to have some aseptic packaged dairy alternatives on hand for various things, including friends allergic to or avoiding dairy.

Yep, including the Tahitian archipelago and all those remote Pacific islands. Big world, dispersed populations.

As coronavirus infections spread, demand for oat milk is outpacing hand…

Personally, I’ve loathed liquid milk since my mid-teenage years, so I’ve never understood the reflexive dash in any potential “emergency situation” for any sort of liquid-milk/product (much less milk substitutes) except by parents with young/ish children… Coffee, otoh, … :grin:

1 Like

Had a couple thoughts for provisioning last night, when I made some rather pathetic but tasty and badly needed comfort food. Please don’t judge me! Since my cook (H) still on ski trip, and not having the best day, I made instant mashed potatoes with a package of country gravy that needs mixing with water only. Hit the spot, gravy not too salty, and products take little room to store. Shelf stable for a long time. Relatively. Will take pics of packaging and post later. Quality soup mixes may be another thing to think about when too drained from work or whatever to make your own, or your freezer supplies are out. Also that packaged asceptic Pacific brand roasted tomato and red pepper soup. Love that stuff.

1 Like

On the Atlantic seaboard: milk, beer, eggs, toilet paper, and diapers.

1 Like

delete