Coronavirus - what to stock up on?

Peabody-Essex Museum, in Salem, isn’t very well-known nationally, but it’s the country’s oldest museum, and it’s a gem. It is small enough that you can see most of it in a few hours. There are always rotating exhibits in addition to the permanent collection, which is strong on Oriental and maritime art, harking back to the Dutch East India Company. My globetrotting BFF says the PEM’s cafe serves the best corn muffin she’s ever tasted.

4 Likes

It’s truly something to think about @pilgrim! My recent situation has been life altering, and I’m operating proactively like never before. Although I’ve been dialed in to his wishes and financial details for quite a while now, I’ve been busy and haven’t asked some of the family history questions, and have failed to write down some of the most memorable stories of his life. I’ll be the one in the family to write his obit, and eulogy. If not fully recovered will not be able to attend his services or deliver the eulogy. My brothers are unable to do either, and I want him to be properly honored in all ways. He’s an amazing man.

3 Likes

Wow, thank you @greygarious! Definitely up my alley, and I love corn muffins/bread.

1 Like

Very quick update from clinic visit today; no masks available, plenty of hand sanitizer so far. A few staff were stationed at the elevators or other points of entrance and offered the masks to anyone suffering from respiratory symptoms. One of the RN’s I see every week gave me 4, which I shared with a friend who has a chronic condition. Noticeable disruptions in cell phone coverage noticed in my ability to call or receive calls from California and Arizona. Weird.

1 Like

@ccj, not gonna lie - when told I needed a picc line I was totally freaked out, as well as the need for vancomycin. I had the double whammy of flu + serious bacterial complication. Insurance company assigned me a new doc at the beginning of the crisis. Really unhappy about that at first. Really liked new doc upon first meeting & felt like she was asking all the right questions. She seriously suspects autoimmune activity and has referred me to a rheumatologist. One of my home infusion RN’s noticed a telling symptom today and messaged my doctor. Not worst case scenario, but something, if I have it, that has improved treatment options. Not too worried, but a little rattled. Please feel free to PM me and I will share further information, if you’d like. Hope you are feeling well.

Not a big fan of masks and haven’t worn one. Think for people that are actively sneezing or trying to cough up a lung, they may help prevent other people from getting sick. I stay far, far, away from anyone who is coughing, and honestly I haven’t seen many people hacking away here or in SD.

Me , nothing . I live in a small community
Before this scare and will continue to do so . Coming back home from being in public. I will go to the sink. Apply soap to my hands and wash them under warm water . Signing happy birthday twice .

4 Likes

Geez - you’re all going to think I’m a disaster junkie or doomsday type, but massive cell phone disruptions here, I’ll add another couple states having difficulty with - Utah and now Alaska. Getting a little creeped out. Off to cook a big ass ribeye steak, will post on WFD, feel like I’m sailing on the Titanic! But where or where is Leonardo DiCaprio and the orchestra damnit?! :scream_cat:

2 Likes

Good for you, it’s the best thing we can do!! But I’d rather sing rock n roll. Very lamely, I’m afraid. Not Grace Slick, Stevie Nicks or Nancy Heart.

1 Like

Better yet . Stairway to heaven . Or better yet , Bye , bye American pie . Drove my Chevy to the levy . Well you know . Lol.

OMG, love American Pie! The movies were good too! Check out WFD, kind of a tribute to you, in fact! Cheers.

1 Like

Have you called your service provider? Updated your phone, including the latest carrier parameters? This could be entirely benign and easily corrected.

Late yesterday Governor Hogan announced the first three confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Maryland. A couple and a third individual all returned from the same international trip. This doesn’t really change my perception of the risk profile but I suspect other people will react and there may be another surge in grocery shopping.

@Lambchop’s phone comments made me reflect that phones are reported to be a major accumulator of viruses and bacteria. For consideration for the stock-up list: alcohol wipes such as those used for cleaning eyeglasses. Cleaning computer screens might be well advised; check manufacturers’ recommendations as some screens have coatings that alcohol will damage. I think the general recommendation is a soft clean cloth very slightly damp and clean with the power off.

The UK press is starting to run stories of panic buying of food. We did our usual trip to the supermarket the other day and saw no real signs of it. Except toilet paper - the shelves were very empty. So we joined in the panic buying and bought an extra carton. And an extra box of ibruprofen.

But we’re not mithered about food shortages. Like most HO folk, we eat a wide range of foods and if something is unavailable, we’ll just eat something else. Initially the freezer and cupboards are well stocked but, if we do get confined to the house, we’ll just sign up for the supermarket’s home delivery service. In fact, I think we’ll sign up sooner rather than later - demand is bound to increase. The government’s next stage planning includes for older people with respiratory issues to self isolate. That will include both of us but the current government health advice is that we are not yet at that stage.

By the by, the village had its first confirmed case of a positive test yesterday.

4 Likes

Yes, all that. Had some successful calls too, but it was kind of strange. I’ll take a fresh look at phone if I continue having issues today, and thanks!

I turned down a visit with my brother and his wife who have been traveling around China, middle East and Europe for months. They seem to understand. I’m still not worrying but trying to minimize possible risk.

1 Like

Moderators Hat On

This is not my board, however I notice some posts getting more into politics rather than food related. I’m just politely requesting we keep our responses to food related topics and out of the political spectrum. As we know in these trying times, politics is a very touchy subject and not the purpose of this forum. As stated this is not my board so no actions are being taken by myself at this time. Thank you

4 Likes

A food trade journal reports that revenue in restaurants is way off. For those shifting to delivery I refer you to the NPR reporting about delivery drivers sampling the food. sigh

Not clear if a general downturn is the straw that broke the camel’s back: Subway restaurants are following up their footlong BOGO offers with a new series of discounts and $5 offers (NFI) “soon.”

In related reporting, the three cases of COVID-19 in Maryland are reported to be highly cooperative and working with health officials to maintain isolation. It’s enough to make me want to make them a lasagna and drop it on their doorstep. It is in stark contrast to the Diamond Princess evacuee who wrote an editorial in the Washington Post complaining about quarantine and talking about going for walks to break up the isolation.

As well as keyboards too, if you have a desk or lap top! Good to mention this @Auspicious.

And phone too!