Corona dining Houston

Ammo is hard to find wherever you are. It’s a whole new world out there. Sorry about the restaurant that you shouldn’t have tried again.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think this is good news for all of us rectangular fish and tartar sauce fans.

Yes the fish is real. I’ve found real actual bones in them unless they were CIA plants.

What are you people doing on Thanksgiving?? There’s always Luby’s plus Hebert’s frozen stuff which is great.

We would cook at home but it invariably ends in abject failure. We have different likes in pieces of bird, time and temp so we’ve just given up.

This is my second T Day since retiring from retail so I don’t have to deal with those lining up at midnight to save a nickel.

I’m going to enjoy the day like many millions of others.

1 Like

That’s awesome! We are slavishly devoted to our overlords so we are having six adults for a very simple dinner, probably a turkey breast, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and maybe some package stuffing. Nothing nouveau and no germy little kids. :cry: My 85 year old pops is at risk.

To tell the truth, this week 2020 caught up with me and I just completely lost my will to cook or eat. I’ll bounce back. In the end I’m an annoying optimist.

1 Like

Luby’s shareholders voted this week to “liquidate and dissolve” so that’s done apparently.

We’re refusing to bow to the powers that be so my entire family is getting together.

All four of us.

And we’ve all had negative tests in the last week.

So all four of us are having Honey-baked Ham and turkey breast. Usual homemade sides and desserts probably.

Hope everyone has a fine feast and if you can’t be with the ones you love, love the ones you’re with. :blush:

2 Likes

You mean all six of us. We’re descending on your place like a plague of locusts eating everything in sight and not bringing anything that anybody else can enjoy. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Go to Shiner. Masks, they don’t need no stinking masks.

The Wifeacita has Covid antibodies and I probably do to hanging around her during her sickness. I have not been near a doctor and refuse to go after three hospital stays last year and multiple follow up visits.

I lived in doctor’s offices last year.

Enough is enough.

Then there was the AT and T guy that fell through my ceiling jacking up my toe requiring multiple visits to the podiatrist.

I’m sitting there zonked out on about eight different medications and here comes this guy.

At least he wasn’t an hallucination, there was a lot of that going on.

I conjured up a big Exxon/McDonald’s on I-10 and felt like Uncle Arthur on “Bewitched.”

2 Likes

It’s not at “my place” but I’ll leave a trail of breadcrumbs so you can find us.

You’ll need to bring two more if we want to play dominoes tho’.

1 Like

We’re looking at Grotto for Thanksgivng especially since 80 degrees is way beyond our temperature threshold for the big oven.

35 bucks seems like a deal and they got me at wild mushroom risotto.

Thanksgiving - Houston | Grotto (grottorestaurants.com)

2 Likes

You know those antibodies don’t work for long. Take care out there senior oysters.

1 Like

The more this stuff goes on the more I’m convinced nobody knows anything.

They’re having a music event out in Shiner but we’re not going. There won’t be a mask in sight.

We always mask up.

1 Like

I haven’t been to my favorite breakfast place in months, Frank’s Grill on Mangum. It’s small, cramped and has questionable air circulation.

Oh yes, the best grits around but sacrifices must be made in these “uncertain, troubling, trying times.”

I drove buy Sunday morning and the place was slammed. Since masks aren’t required while feeding I don’t feel safe there at all.

1 Like

As opposed to…

Not going.

1 Like

We went to OUR HEB the day after Thanksgiving, according to the late, great Mr. May the manager the slowest day of the year. I’ve picked up some great deals on turkey and oysters in the past but not this year, the oysters at regular prices and only a miserable pack of frozen turkey wings in sight.

Kroger Wirt/Westview Sunday. Plenty of 400 pound turkeys available but no thanks.

But.

Then.

Score!!!

Galveston Bay oysters at 2.50 for 8 oz. down from the crazy 11.99 that I won’t pay.

Ostiones fin de semana.

2 Likes

Did you fry them up?

Speaking of bargains, got a 15 lb frozen turkey for 2.00 after a 20% prescription drug discount I get there. 17 cents a lb was their loss leader deal. But it’s still in the freezer and I baked 2 bone-in breasts they were selling at 2 fer 1. Saved the bones for today’s cold weather and about to simmer up some turkey noodle soup.

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving.

2 Likes

Not yet. This weekend they will be fried or blackened. I went back today and they went down to 1.29 for 8 oz but the sell by date is 12/2. I got 3 more containers and see a creole dish manana.

Nice deal on the turkey and the breasts which seem to be in short supply with smaller gatherings on Thanksgiving.

I’m hoping they restock soon as I’ve had no turkey, another story.

It’s nice to be able to cook again with the onset of “winter.” During the 390 days of summer we rarely turned on the top burner and forget the oven.

I assume it still works. :hot_face: :mask: :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Thanksgiving Grotto

We were enticed by the special menu but when we got there for our 4 pm reservations the turkey was gone.

We quickly regrouped and the Wifeacita got perfectly cooked scampi with some incredible sauteed spinach, yes I know spinach but it was that good.

I got some nice pepper ahi tuna with green pea risotto, we also got a side of mushroom risotto which I liked better, she preferred the pea.

It was virtually empty when we got there but filled up nicely.

We had a great time and will be back and they have some really comfortable chairs.

2 Likes

Houston, TX | Hours + Location | Grotto (grottorestaurants.com)