Corona dining Houston

They do some really good sauces as both dishes were very quickly wolfed down.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve been but it all sounds amazing! I should not read while hungry. Is it part of fertitta’s empire?

1 Like

I can’t help but think the lower case f is intentional.

Yes it is part of his fiefdom, but he hasn’t ruined everything he’s laid his paws on. We’ll see about the Houston Rockets.

The food and service were outstanding and we’ll return.

1 Like

If you much get on the rewards program - pretty good. We like Brenner’s and Vic & Anthony’s.

1 Like

I’m not sure what to think of this but Captain Bennys on 290 doesn’t have the dreaded closed for remodeling sign but instead a closed for repairs one. :disappointed:

It just hit me maybe it’s covid related.

Sorry to hear that. The menu looks like it’s right up my alley.

1 Like

Ok I went old school, picked up the phone and called. A recording said they were closed for repairs and would reopen soon and all other locations are open. :mask: :mask: :mask:

1 Like

Those are small dining rooms, right?

I eat at the oyster bar but yes they are small.

This sounds ominous. Luby’s is delighted to be serving loyal customers through the holidays. :disappointed: :cowboy_hat_face:

Welcome - Luby’s

Update.

Polonia Restaurant is temporarily closed as it has been since all this stuff started. The food store next door is open Tuesday-Sunday.

Captain Bennys/290 is open again.

Luby’s is still open for now. I’m thinking rectangular fish and the Saturday spaghetti special for what may be our last meal there. :mask:

1 Like

Although I’ve been in Texas for nearly 50 years now, 48 to be exact, I still am amazed that grown women here call their fathers “daddy.“ Coming from the culture of the pioneer era Northwest, he is referred to as father or dad. And sometimes Pater.

Father succumbed to Covid-19 on December 12. The road was bad and I won’t bore you with the many injustices.

His favorite restaurant early on after our arrival stateside from abroad was Churrasco’s. In the last few years, his favorite restaurant was Los Tios. He was a man of simple pleasures, he vastly preferred home cooking.

I’m rudderless, but it would be a familial failure to not carry on. My people are pioneers, after all.

Happy Holidays, however you celebrate. I’ll be lifting a Los Tios “frozen, no salt” at some point to the Pater and pioneer spirit.

Stay safe, friends.

6 Likes

I’m sorry about your dad. 2020 will not be remembered fondly by very many.

I popped in to Los Tios on Saturday. Had a nice lunch but no margs.

Hope everyone has a great holiday.

3 Likes

We’re Merry Christmas people or Feliz Navidad for the maintenance man when I slipped him a propina for Christmas plus we have a couple of neighbor folks that don’t speak English at all.

Senior Lopez from maintenance also doesn’t speak English.

My Spanish is good enough to carry on a rudimentary conversation which they appreciate. My neighbor apologized to me for not being able to speak English but I told him no problema, esta bien.

Thank you UH/Cougar High for my Spanish “skills,” a couple of the best classes I’ve taken.

Doobs while you people at TU were looking down at UH we bestowed the moniker Harvard on the Bayou for the ratty UH Downtown.

We all need to get together whenever…

Merry Christmas y Feliz Navidad para todos. :christmas_tree: :christmas_tree: :christmas_tree: :mask:

1 Like

I must say my neighbors and Senior Lopez are fantastic and are quick to offer ayuada, help in Spanish if I/we have lots of groceries or anything else.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear about your dad and what you’ve been going through.

My husband and his brothers and sisters called their father Daddy all their lives. He was a born and raised Texan who taught his sons, If you have to stand up, don’t back down. Daddy was quite a colorful character actually and even though I hailed from NE where we called our parents Mom & Dad, I got along with him just fine.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Daddy was what we called him and Daddy’s shotgun is going to my nephew , it’s at least 80 years old.

2 Likes

I’m not criticizing at all. I’ve just never gotten used to it, it’s a juvenile term in my world. It is a Texas thing and may be generally a southern thing. It’s OK. At this point I do miss my daddy. And I also think his death at this time in his life was not necessary. While I grieve his death, I also grieve for the 10 to 15 years he had left otherwise. Bear with me, it’s a process. :heart:

5 Likes

Just to fly my Texas flag, team Coke

3 Likes

And that will be all for a tad bit, as we say.

2 Likes