Corona dining Houston

I’m great. Holed up like the Zombie Apocalypse. How’s your mom?

3 Likes

Let’s hope she has an adequate supply of onions! :grin:

3 Likes

Bought Sunday, finished Wednesday eating every night for two all for a President Ulysses S. Grant, plus generous tip. I was thinking the splendid shrimp/crab Oisel but she can still barely taste so we got more hearty dishes.

We were thinking of investing some stimulus money on oysters in Galveston on Saturday and giving our friend at Benno’s some beer money but it looks like weather may keep us away. It could be crawfish at Cactus Cove on 11th.

3 Likes

Lambsy, why did you write that!? You just set the wheels in motion for a city wide onion hoarding fiasco.

EVERYBODY reads Hungry Onion.

3 Likes

Well…y’all. I have news. My apres-Corona dining will be in Shiner. We’re moving. I suppose it’s waaaaay too much to hope that a bunch of folks that don’t want to drive west as far as Katy might come visit me in Shiner. I’ll have to come back to Houston when I want to see y’all. And I will. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Heck ya mean. We got married in Wied, if you don’t know where that is you drove by, blinked and missed it.

We would love to come out to our wedding stomping grounds.

1 Like

As if 2020 wasn’t already a kick in the pants! Well, best wishes to you. Don’t drink all the beer. Let us know what good eats you find there, this is a Texas board!

1 Like

First I applaud you for evacuating Katy. My sister in law lived in what is now Katy with mind numbing strip centers and tract housing. You will enjoy Shiner.

I have no problem with the original Katy but I can’t deal with the freeway.

We take the southern route US ALT 90 which takes a bit but is more scenic and has lots of trains.

Don’t make me shout but I will. WE ARE SERIOUS ABOUT COMING OUT THERE!

I guess it’s a Texas board, but now for something completely different.

The Exxon in Shiner had a fried chicken pressure cooker that turned out great fried chicken. This was10 years ago and am not sure if they still do it.

Does anybody remember when Shiner and Falstaff were two of the worst beers available? You get what you pay for.

Shiner has stepped their game up big time and Falstaff has folded.

Katy is pretty cosmopolitan now - with all the Venezuelans and Asians but my daughter doesn’t want the kids in these massive jr high schools.

I am looking at houses. I will have a guest room and a yard. I will be really really thrilled to host any or all of y’all. Repeatedly.
Maybe a nice dinner in the house. Maybe a crawfish boil in the yard. Probably both. :smiley:

2 Likes

We

are

there!

1 Like

In my yute, I drank Lone Star long necks and Pabst Blue Ribbon. On the two times a year I have a beer now, it’ll be Shiner Bock. I’ve drivent through, but never stopped.

2 Likes

I know you a bit and consider you highly intelligent but why can’t you spell?

In MY YOUTH the pecking order of beer was Bud, Lone Star, Falstaff, and Shiner. They were all long necks and fund availability was the determining factor on the beer selection.:dizzy_face:

With the re-opening of the beaches in Galveston we won’t be going near that place for I don’t know how long. The annual fall several night stay is off.

I don’t get it.

Are you saying that you don’t think you can find a sparsely populated stretch of beach to camp out on? I can’t believe that. I’ll bet you know some spots where you couldn’t see another soul on either side of you. I’m pretty sure I could and I HATE THE BEACH! Sand everywhere.

And “IN” everything.

(That said, I love The Galvez.)

Anyway, I just couldn’t figure out the “Now that it’s ‘open’, we won’t be going” part.

Hope y’all are swell. Tell Wifecita we said “Hi” and to let us know if you aren’t taking good care of her.

Well that’s terrible news. I know it would be hard to see you any less, but I loved knowing you were just a few miles and a lot of Katy traffic away.

Any idea of when this exodus will occur? Do we have time yet to break quarantine and get in that visit to Phat Eatery we discussed once upon a time? Even if we just grabbed some takeout and ate it in a park some reasonably and responsibly safe distance apart?

I insist we at least have a chance to wave at each other before you depart.

Luvya CA.

1 Like

Have you seen the freak show on the beaches? I assume some corona is being passed around and some of the mob will trickle into restaurants we like in Galveston and Surfside.

There is a nice beach between San Luis Pass and Surfside but no have no desire to camp out.

1 Like

Shiner is only 1 1/2 hours west of Katy. I definitely an planning to return fairly often to shop, dine, see friends, a list of whom you top. I’m heading out to a Shiner Airbnb today where I will stay until I get a house, whereupon I will return to Katy to pack up.

Of course we can plan a Phat Eatery get-together sometime over the coming summer months - not to mention that the highway to Shiner runs both ways. I’m hoping all y’all will trek out to see me, too!

2 Likes

Is this normal for Galveston?