Corned beef ideas

Neat. I eat it straight with no regret. :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve been making this recipe for 20 or 30 years, it’s not a family secret; I got it out of the Pennysaver. People seem to love it and do ask for the recipe every time.

I just made my annual pan full last night, and was reminded how easy and how good it is :wink: Nice way to clean out the fridge too!

REUBEN DIP
1/2 lb lean corned beef
16z sauerkraut (didn’t have any so used cole slaw, turned out fine)
1/2 lb grated Swiss
1 cup Hellmanns mayo
1/4 cup ketchup
3 Tbsp sweet relish
1 Tbsp NY style mustard

Process all, bit by bit, until you have a smooth thick paste. Place in a shallow pan.
Cook in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, then serve hot with crackers or cocktail rye.

3 Likes

Fried rice is the first thing that jumps to mind. I would crisp up chunks of the corned beef, add cabbage and carrots, then egg, but no soy sauce. The meat is salty enough.

If you rinse off some of the seasonings, you can quick fry with a combination of taco sauce, ketchup and gochujang, then serve on rice, rice noodles, or roll it up into a burrito.

3 Likes

Oh, another fun thought would be Danny Bowien’s Kung Pao Pastrami, but subbing corned beef for pastrami. I’ve only had the pastrami dish at the restaurant, but it was terrific.

3 Likes

Bunkeroo! Corned beef is not cheap here! It is, however, one of the few times you can get it in store.

1 Like

Pastrami tonight made from a prepared corned beef picked up when they were on sale around St Patty’s day. Leached of a fair amount of salt and seasoned with pastrami spices and smoked till tender. This was from a point cut.

10 Likes

Corned beef and cabbage egg rolls with Thousand Island dipping sauce…

4 Likes

Corned Beef and Cabbage Pot Pies

Also, wanted to mention/share a magical inspirational site for SPD, etc.

2 Likes

Corned beef or pastrami – that is the real question.

1 Like

Nice! Looks tasty

Joon I bet a late night cheese steak would be good. I think whiz would work well.

1 Like

Tonight I fried up diced pastrami with diced potatoes. A side salad was the foil to the rich meat and potatoes

2 Likes

I’ll say. Why couldn’t my Irish ancestors have gone with pastrami which is so obviously superior to corned beef? I’ll pig out on pastrami anytime but I’m still kind of tired of corned beef from last March. Sadly Mr Rat loves it so AS USUAL we’ll be having it over the weekend.

Now that I’ve gotten that off my chest I’ve decided I’m going to go to Katz’s later this week and bring home some pastrami and enjoy a traditional Irish Jewish St. Pat’s. Who’s more Irish than Leopold Bloom anyway?

4 Likes

That sounds awesome. I’ve never done this. Did you cold smoke it or put it over heat? Any temp/time recs? What wood did you use?

Hot smoked around 250-275f until internal temp was around 195 or so. I often remove and finish over steam to ~ 210. This time I just let it go and finished in the smoker. I was out for a long walk while it smoked. Edited to add I used small pieces of dried oak from the back yard. Yes yard debris. I’ve even used pistachio shells at times when I didn’t have bags of dried wood. Those oaks need to give me more than the bushels of leaves that are falling like rain this time of year

After slicing leftovers the next several days are refreshed over steam

Here are a couple picks from a few years ago. Really turns out well

11 Likes

:grin: Not sure about it. I enjoy them both, and I do remember sometime I prefer pastrami. Still, one of my favor sandwich stores (Hershel’s East Side Deli) told me that significantly more customers order corn beef instead of pastrami from their store.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/hershels-east-side-deli-philadelphia

Wow. Really pretty.

Wow…impressive! What kind of wood and rub? I need to try this. We normally just keep it on the low burner and eat it for a day or two. I’ve never thought about smoking one. Thanks for the good idea! I’ve done quite a few briskets in my day but this is something to try. This is why I like this site :slight_smile:

I edited my post to include wood selections

For the rub a typical pastrami rub. Coriander, mustard seeds, black pepper, garlic powder etc.

Johnny just wanted to add that when I’m hunting cheap corned beefs I look at sodium content. Some are out of sight like 900-1000mg per serving. Even at near 500 mg you still need to desalinate since you are not cooking in water

1 Like

So I boiled up the corned beef last night! And today I started round 1, traditional corned beef and cabbage. I got me some point brisket, look at this beautiful piece of meat! Now that’s my kind of marbling.

Boiled up some potatoes, carrots, cabbage and celery in the broth. The cabbage came out a bit grainy. I don’t mind mushy, but I’m not a fan of this kind of texture. Oh well. The secret ingredient here: a pat of butter. Makes the whole thing so much tastier.

I decided for the next round, I’d use the corned beef and leftover broth to make some budae jjigae, aka Army Base stew. This thing is traditionally made with things like spam and hot dogs… and corned beef is basically hot dog flavored beef, so it’s a natural fit! Although that corned beef pho idea is really calling out to me.

7 Likes