Corn Tortillas or flour ... how to choose?

Your post reminded me that, years ago, I had that same recipe. I got it when we moved to New Mexico in the mid-'70s. I was newly married, had just started cooking, knew nothing about Mexican food and so didn’t realize it was “wrong.” It became a family favorite. And, funny update - when I left my husband, the divorce was bitter, and his whole family started saying nasty things about me, like I wasn’t good enough for him to start with. So this last Thanksgiving, I was visiting my son & noticed a notebook, cover gayly decorated with the title: “Nana’s Best Recipes.” It turned out that my former sister-in-law had made one of those family recipe collection books. This one supposedly had all of my former mother-in-law’s best recipes. Imagine my amusement as I leafed through it and realized most of “Nana’s Best Recipes” were mine.
And on the first page?
That recipe for enchiladas using flour tortillas!

9 Likes

I used to eat parmesean encrusted Taco’s at Jimboy’s outside of Sacramento!

2 Likes

I must say I’ve broken bread with this person on several occasions and don’t believe these vicious lies. :christmas_tree: :christmas_tree: :christmas_tree:

4 Likes

Hahaha, why am I not surprised???

4 Likes

Well, thanks. And let’s do that again sometime. Soon!

1 Like

This was another entry in the series of articles…

2 Likes

To me, if you use flour tortillas you’re making wet burritos, not enchiladas. Gotta be corn. I only like tacos with corn tortillas. Around here (Sonoran desert), you’d probably have a hard time finding tacos made with flour tortillas.
Actually, most of Mexico uses corn tortillas, only the northern states like Sonora and Chihuahua are dry enough to grow wheat, I’m told.

5 Likes

Makes sense to me!

Everywhere, you have to use what you can get and hope it’s good, even when you’re aiming to make what you used to make before your family moved. I think there’s always a tension: wanting to make the authentic recipes from Place X, while knowing that the people at Place X were simply using what they could get and trying to make it good, not self-consciously trying to create an authentic anything.

It might be easiest to see in alcohol production: one of the things you do when you move to a new country is figure out what grows here that will make you a good stiff drink, because you’re tired from travelling. :grin:

5 Likes

I love this particular way of handling the oddness (in English) of the name of the cheese. Canadians tend to say it as if we were addressing a Japanese man named Parma (i.e. Parma-san), while many Americans invent an Irishman living in Italy named “Parma Séan” for the same purpose. And if you say “par mee JAH nah” in either place, you might as well be a Martian for the way people would look at you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Flour tortillas for quesadillas = yes! I really like the homemade flour ones

2 Likes

I love what you wrote about the Sonoran/Native American food.

1 Like

Many years ago I went with friends to Mi Nidito (My little nest) restaurant in Tucson. I was eating the corn tortilla chips and salsa, thinking how they were the best version I’d ever eaten and wondering why. I went to the restroom, which at the time you had to go outside and make a u-turn to the right to get to them. As I walked out the restaurant door, I smelled the most wonderful frying smell, and thought- Aha- it’s the lard.
I doubt they use it these days, but if I think real hard I can still taste it.

4 Likes

i’m a die-hard corn tortilla gal. I learned to make them a few years ago using maseca and they were good, better than some supermarket ones, but still not great. but I still preferred them to flour. then a couple months ago i learned to make homemade flour tortillas and really appreciated them!

BUT THEN, i bought fresh masa - not made with Maseca, but actual ground, nixtamalized corn, and made homemade tortillas with that, and those were the be-all, end-all for tortillas for me. Tortilla Nirvana.

i agree with most of what’s been said above. For me, flour tortillas are something you use folded up and dipped into guisados, menudo, even pozole - soupy, stew-y things. or of course, to make burritos. or just eaten hot and slathered with butter - that’s their best application, in my opinion. For everything else for me, it’s gotta be corn.

3 Likes

Anybody can make poor tortillas using lard if they want to, so it’s never JUST the lard - but to push “already very good” to “best”, it’s certainly possible.

2 Likes

Or fried and dusted with cinnamon sugar.

3 Likes

My favorite restaurant when we lived in Tucson back in the '80s, and an important stop on my quest to make the perfect Caldo de Queso. I’d like to think they’re still using lard. Some things should be sacrosanct.

4 Likes

Well, I’m not much of a sweets eater but I can see that!

Flour tortillas for quesadillas = yes! I really like the homemade style flour ones that you can almost see through.

4 Likes

Yes. When the Spaniards came, they introduced wheat, which they needed for not only bread but, more important, to them anyway, communion wafers.

1 Like