Corn Tortillas or flour ... how to choose?

Other than personal preferences, are their guidelines for choosing either corn tortillas or flour for a particular purpose? For example, I’m making grilled shrimp tacos for dinner tonight. I have access to freshly made corn tortillas as well as pretty fresh flour tortillas. Is there a reason to choose one over the other? What about for other kinds of tacos? Are there tortilla/food pairing suggestions? Am I overthinking this? Thanks!

I use corn tortillas for tacos and enchiladas, and flour tortillas for burritos and quesadillas. Most of the Mexican restaurants I’ve been to do the same, and I figure they must know what they’re doing. (That’s not a great reason, but it’s my reason.) Also, enchiladas would turn to mush if made with flour tortillas, I’m pretty sure.

4 Likes

We eat a lot of tacos.

My rule of thumb is “Whatever I feel like on that day.”

For grilled shrimp, I would use your “freshly made corn”, because it sounds great.

I sometimes use flour for ground beef or chicken. I almost always use corn for fish and shrimp. (And cabbage and cilantro and yogurt salsa! YUM!)

1 Like

Agreed, no flour tortillas in enchiladas, only corn. Flour tortillas also make lousy chips.

4 Likes

I think it sounds great, too! Okay… I’m on my way out to the Mexican grocery store where cases of corn tortillas, still warm from the presses, are stacked high at the front door.

4 Likes

For tacos, I think either one will work beautifully.

1 Like

I always prefer a good corn tortilla for tacos and tostadas, mostly because i love the flavor and flour tortillas don’t bring much in the way of additional flavor to either dish.
Always corn for chilequiles, enchiladas, taquitos and chips/fried strips for garnishes.
Flour for burritos and chimichangas, i think quesadillas can go either way- i like a quick cheeseless quesadilla snack with corn tortillas, refried beans, and veggies with salsa- that same combo on flour would be kinda boring.

1 Like

I agree with everyone so far. I make my tortilla choices mostly based on the place the food is from. I love northern Mexican food and think that flour tortillas are often most appropriate with machaca or chile verde or chile colorado, at least when cooked norteño style.

1 Like
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold