Corn Tortillas or flour ... how to choose?

Exactly!
:slight_smile:
ā€¦ and donā€™t forget chimichangas, an American :us: concoction and deliciously greasy!
:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Invented, it is claimed by the proprietors of El Charro Cafe in Tucson, at El Charro Cafe in Tucson, where my family & I went often when we lived in Tucson. Iā€™ve never seen chimichangas in Mexico, either, except at tourist restaurants like SeƱor Frogā€™s & Cabo Wabo.

2 Likes

My time in Arizona was very enlightening as far as differences in regional Mexican and Mexican:American delicacies.
Seafood and citrus :tangerine: were whole new worlds to me.

2 Likes

For sure. Where were you? We were in Tucson for 6 years.

Scottsdale/ the Valley.
Our Mexican growing up in KC was mostly an extension of TexMex with a smattering of New Mexico, cuisine following the trade routes.
I loved all the Varied Az food, just burned out on the stressful and crazy part of life in the desert.
The Oregon mountains and ocean are much more soothing and the Mexi food is a continuation of California thinking.

4 Likes

My best friend (met in Panama 40+ years ago) lives in Portland & has a timeshare at Rockaway Beach. Love spending time with her. So I know what you mean.

1 Like

Rockaway Beach! Good times.

2 Likes

What do you mean? Seafood and citrus where new to you when you moved to Arizona? From where?

2 Likes

Just to add - for informational purposes -

It isnā€™t so much that flour tortillas shriek and fall apart at the first sign of sauce, itā€™s that the texture does not hold up at all well with the traditional enchilada procedure.

First, you dip your tortilla quickly into hot oil - you can use most any kind of flavorless cooking oil but, since weā€™re talking tradition here, letā€™s just say that you dip your corn tortilla into hot lard. That makes it nice & hot & pliable, so it doesnā€™t split or crack during the folding (or the rolling if youā€™re a gringo/a). Then you immediately dip it from that hot lard into the hot chile sauce. Now, immediately onto a hot plate, fold over once or twice, top with chopped raw white onions & a crumble of queso fresco or ranchero or Cotija, serve at once while itā€™s still piping hot from the lard & sauce, and Robertoā€™s your tio.

Flour tortillas simply do not hold up well at all with this method - the preferred method in Mexico.

6 Likes

Thank you @Jaymes for sharing your experience and knowledge of this. You may have answered my inner questions about how to make good enchiladas from corn tortillas; I typically soften them in veg oil, but perhaps lard is preferable here. As well, I should bother to get some decent corn tortillas from the tortilla shops - a ways from me, but not too far.

The ones Iā€™ve had using flour tortillas, have of course been American-Mex common in non SW parts of the states. As people do, but canā€™t say Iā€™ve had them in restaurants.

1 Like

From KC with a stop in Sausalito/Bay Area. The Mexi food I grew up eating was meat oriented, as befits a meat packing center.
Folks following the RR, silver smelting, and the packing plants/stockyards.
Sonoran food mixed with Native American cuisine in Arizona was just something different and wonderful.

4 Likes

Many MANY people use vegetable oil instead of lard. I donā€™t think that in itself is going to cause any problems. Some will prefer the taste or the feel of one or the other, but I donā€™t believe that using vegetable oil is going to ruin the process at all. How the tortillas were made in the first place is going to make a much bigger difference - isnā€™t it?

I mean, Iā€™ve provided ample proof in my own home, that making good tortillas is not as easy as skilled people make it look. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Since you live somewhere that you can get good tortillas, you must also have access to a Mexican mercado and carniceria. They all sell beautiful pure freshly-rendered lard. And you can buy as little as you need.

Do yourself & your tortillas a favor & buy that, instead of that ā€œshelf-stableā€ box thatā€™s been sitting on the grocery store shelf for months.

3 Likes

Definitely. Since lard has become such a ā€˜no no,ā€™ many folks do use oil. To me, there is something about that porky goodness that ups it a slight notch, I think, but youā€™re absolutely correct that the main thing is the quality of the tortillas (preferably made with nixtamal) and the sauce. Really the crux right there.

3 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m well acquainted with great tortillas, but have only seen the larger buckets of processed lard at those shops. Iā€™ll change that soon, and make a run to the specialty markets. I saw a fabulous wooden tortilla press at a catered event at UCLA, that Iā€™d like to get. The caterers told me where I could find one way out in East LA. ,but I wasnā€™t able to make it out there on that trip.

No way am I going anywhere near LA at the momentā€¦that said, it will be easier to buy good ones, both corn and flour. Iā€™m all about easy right now a good bit of the time @Jaymes.

2 Likes

There are so many ā€œno nosā€ that itā€™s hard to remember them all. Some of them are silly, and then there are others that are very important but not well enough known. In a Mexican context, thereā€™s probably much less harm in pure lard than people think, and probably too many people unaware that uncooked dry beans are poisonous until boiled properly (some varieties less poisonous than others).

2 Likes

While I realize corn tortillas are the gold standard for authentic Mexican enchiladas using the traditional method (oil dip then sauce dip), I do make a Tex-Mex version with flour tortillas. Corn tortillas are all wrong for this version. You donā€™t do the oil dip or sauce dip steps at all. Instead, you make a ā€œchile gravyā€ of ground beef, chile powder, cumin and stock, lightly thickened with flour. Then you use a slotted spoon to remove most of the meat and fill flour tortillas with a mixture of the meat, cheese and onion, nestle them together in a baking dish and pour the strained sauce over before topping with more cheese and baking. They do get somewhat soft, but since you donā€™t saturate them with the sauce before baking, they keep their shape well enough. I love both styles!

4 Likes

There are no bad enchiladas.
Fact of life.
Every day is better with Mexican food in it.

9 Likes

@shrinkrap

I posted this previously; this is representative of the tacos :taco: of my youth, except our favorite place used a finely grated cheddar instead.

2 Likes

Itā€™s interesting how the topic of food authenticity shifts in meaning depending on the situation. Sometimes itā€™s used as a geographic divider, saying that the food they make in ā€œthe wrong placeā€ is a worse version of the food from ā€œthe right placeā€; sometimes as a time divider, saying the food they make at ā€œthe wrong timeā€ (usually the present) is a worse version of the food from ā€œthe right timeā€; sometimes itā€™s a human divider, saying that ā€œthe wrong peopleā€ cook a worse version of what ā€œthe right peopleā€ cook.

But I think a lot of what people say in everyday food-authenticity conversations (spoken ones - people are more careful when they write), while it may sound general like my examples tried to sound, is actually extremely specific: I think people very often end up basically saying ā€œThe only right place is where I grew up, the only right time is when I was growing up, and my people are the only right peopleā€. (With a couple of notes: ā€œmy peopleā€ will mean whatever someone wants it to mean, and very often instead of themselves they will refer to whoever their own ā€œcooking idolā€ is, whether itā€™s their aunt or whether itā€™s a TV host or author or whatever, or they may ā€œadoptā€ a new category of food instead of what they grew up with.) I donā€™t think anybody necessarily intends to be ā€œnarrowā€ like that, but it does seem to happen a lot.

I remember a school teacher friend saying ā€œEveryone who has ever been to school considers themselves an expert on the education systemā€. I think a lot of people end up considering themselves experts on food authenticity just because they remember having lunch.

So I was glad to see the cheddar cheese, that orangey-yellow proof that food authenticity suddenly stops being clear-cut as soon as you think about it a bit. :slight_smile:

I think ā€œYeah, but I like itā€ is usually the ultimate scholarly response if food authenticity gets questioned.

5 Likes