Cookware Digression and Drift

Not sure what your point is, but considering this site wasn’t created until 2015…

Your expectations of what a food website should contain and
promote seem outdated by at least 10 years.
Everyone’s a content creator nowadays.
Capitalism won.
Welcome to the future.

2 Likes

If everyone is a content creator I may just use HO less. When I look to a content creator I have expectations regarding knowledge and competency, for wading through created content is time consuming. If the creator does not understand the area in which they are creating content, it becomes, as Betty White said of Facebook, a big fat waste of time.

4 Likes

There are different website for different people. Just like different restaurant for different people and different car for different people. Someone like a copper pan, and another person like a nonstick Teflon pan. We have the power to influence, but more importantly, the power to choose.

2 Likes

Whatever.
Your view of social media these days and mine are apparently far apart.
I don’t come here for experts.

Yep. But I know who the experts are.

3 Likes

I agree. It’s a chore to wade through the bloviations of uncurated, self-proclaimed “experts”/content creators- which go beyond differences of opinion straight on to no-basis-in-facts. No credentials other than self-promotion. I still catch myself hoping the Internet has some oases of expertise, because I’m genuinely looking for information, but it’s getting increasingly more difficult.

2 Likes

Then you shouldn’t have any problem.

Well, I didn’t weigh in on my “expectations” of what a food website “should contain.” My comment was limited to forum-style cookware conversations. Even this entire “website” is a very particular one. In 2015 (I realize, a whopping 6.75 years ago, when you were probably about 8 years old), this site (a non-profit one) was created precisely to preserve (and perhaps improve upon) the type of content that had existed elsewhere. That’s not to say it can’t evolve in some ways with the times, but the fact that other models currently exist shouldn’t be an excuse for lame content and every type of behavior. Like others, I can say “no thank you” to other websites, and other models as I choose fit. I’m not out there spending my time making tiktok reels, but I’m pretty aware of, if not active on, social media.

3 Likes

I agree with some of your points (earlier) but if you think bbqboy is a millennial I believe you are mistaken. At least his persona here is more likely boomer. But what do I know. I’m a Gen X so I don’t really exist :wink:

ETA: Just to clarify to anyone reding this later in the day I wrote this to something which has now been edited. I’m cool with the edit. I hate generational assumptions and generalizations.

2 Likes

so yer sayin’ bbqboy is a bbqgramps?

4 Likes

I feel like my whole life is a lie.

2 Likes

LOL, I better not be saying that. I’m married to a boomer. I think I’ll call him gramps tonight and see how that goes.

3 Likes

I’m going to start calling all the Boomers in my life Granny or Gramps and I’ll report back to let you know how that goes.

4 Likes

See, we tend to go off track. I’m big-time guilty. Randallhank makes good points; but I feel, on here, anyway, that we take the OP topic seriously, then kind of burn out and chat amongst ourselves. If I ask for help making baklava, I’ll get good advice here. I can’t get pissed, after the good advice, if someone brings up having it when they were in Albania. Then, the next poster feeds of the Albania thing, then we’re talking Albanian food, restos, places to visit. Then comes a story about an Albanian friend of mine, whose mom made the best cookies (this part is true for me), then CCE brings up some unique cookies his Georgian friend makes, and on and on. We usually circle back around, or just quit the thread. I have no problem with that.

4 Likes

Albanian baklava?
Sounds wonderful :blush:

Like any baklava, it’s great. Never met a bad baklava.

4 Likes

Why does everything have to be so strict and structured? I feel this site is a place where people who share a same interest can come talk to each other about different aspects of that interest. If the conversation drifts, I don’t see that as a bad thing. Normal conversation between people talking face-to-face drifts, too. Like the old saying goes, “Why can’t we all just be friends?” If the conversation begins by talking about carbon steel pans and ends with what’s the best seasoning for salmon, it’s not the end of the world.

5 Likes

Hi, SilvBlu1:

I wish I had written this.

Strict and structured (and its handmaiden, the firmness-of-moderator-hand) is one of the reasons Chowhound is dead and eGullet is on life support. IMO, we should all celebrate digression and banter if it’s informative and entertaining. Some of my most valuable takes here have come completely out of left field.

It’s not hard to Ignore posters or ignore posts. If staying OT is your cause, stay OT at whatever level you prefer.

IMO, the only sensible reason to enforce any OT strictures is archival: searches will dredge up the digressions. But still, how long does it really take to skim for that particular answer or source?

Aloha,
Kaleo

[Edited to add to your point on normal conversation: “Digressed” discussions online are one of the few ways we have to better know someone.]

2 Likes

We all digress. It is human nature. Heck, Ray is a leading proponent of staying on topic, but his latest post on his thread about petty, paring, or something in between is about pre-made Thai curry sauces. I, for one, enjoyed the Thai tangent.

1 Like