COOKOUT/PICNIC/BBQ - Summer 2020 (Jul-Sept) Cuisine of the Quarter

There were no nominations this quarter so I made an executive decision on COTQ. It is still difficult to commit to a specific cuisine given the shortages we are all facing. However, since we’re all staying home and/or vacationing close to home due to COVID, I am guessing we will all be dining al fresco and doing some picnicking for fun! So, I hereby declare COOKOUT/PICNIC/BBQ FAVORITES as this summer’s COTQ. Hit us with your best outdoor ideas, HOs!

6 Likes

It’s either too hot or too wet so no firing up the Weber anytime soon.

Looking forward to seeing what others are grilling. A few photos to ignite your interest…

Pork neck (cooked SV then grilled)

And various potted things for garden picnics

Who says BBQ is only for dinner? This is my breakfast being made:

4 Likes

I’m not good at pictures. I usually have my hands full.

My wife and I had grilled chicken and rice with a tropical fruit salsa and Caprese salad two days ago. I grilled six chicken breasts - two for that dinner, two that are now chicken salad for lunch today, and two more that will be chicken tikka masala on Sunday evening.

I like chicken.

1 Like

Gorgeous photos as always, but what really caught my eye was that octopus. Fantastic char!

2 Likes

Thanks!

Found some more BBQ photos. Looks like I have put just about everything on the Weber. Lamb and asparagus are most often, shellfish sometimes.

3 Likes

We have been grilling burgers, franks, shrimp and chicken for the most part but the recipe family and friends keep requesting is the Roseanne Cash potato salad. I’ve made lbs of that. The combo of baby potatoes (yukon and reds), chopped boiled egg, diced pickles, celery and onion in a light covering of mustard-mayo heavy on the dill and ground black pepper dressing hits on the right notes.

My buddy and I grilled lamb burgers, scallops and tuna steaks when our wives aren’t joining. Using a good deal of Burlap & Barrel spices this summer. Moscow Mules, Fruited Sangria (reds) and homemade ice cream. Grilled peaches, avocados and lot of veg too.

Trying to keep cool, calm and collected. :yum:

4 Likes

Mo Weber lighting up the afternoon in beautiful St Clair Shores…

6 Likes

Exactly. My grilling season lasts from November to mid May.

My grilling season began in September 1983 and has yet to end. There is much to be said for grilling in the snow. @bbqboy - input on this subject? grin

1 Like

Grilling year around here also, and have for 30 years. Excepting the storms that blow in off the Pacific starting around mid October. Typically, our worst weather months are December and January, so outdoor cooking slows down then. Often to do with other factors, such as holiday foods, and family birthday celebrations. Roasts, braises, soups and stews too.

Squash on the Weber

The one in the middle. I cooked it in the oven first.

Lamb meat from the leg

Pre-packaged kebab spice mix was used to season the meat

Fig salsa. Same thing but mine is hand-chopped and with scotch bonnet sambal ulek added.

Finally, a fab day for a BBQ. Would be even better if I had no neighbours.

4 Likes