Commercially made foods that are no longer made

You might like Canadian Hawkins cheezies. They’re crunchier and denser than Cheetos. I haven’t had cheese curls, so I don’t know what they were like. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheezies

1 Like

Good to know.

It’s easier for me to find German and Dutch Zwieback than South African goods where I live.

I’m sure they would be fine.

The only not-made foods for me are lunchmeat/deli meats and at the top of the list is something that was called “Old Fashioned Loaf” and another one called “Dutch Loaf”. I was a child in the Midwest (Ohio, Indiana) and that’s where I remember eating them in sandwiches on white bread with Miracle Whip.

4 Likes

I really miss these:

Years ago I wanted to make the salisbury steak my Mom made, for nostalgia reasons. The gravy used this, which I believe was bought by Campbells and was discontinued in the US, which is too bad because it was a good shortcut:

5 Likes

Curlz. I looked up the spelling to be sure, and it’s actually Cheese Curlz.

The amazing news: while doing so I saw that they are not at all discontinued - they’re just not available anywhere I shop. I’m also not sure I need them in the house, but one of these days Ima hafta grab a can :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

I remember seeing that in the grocery store long before I knew anything at all about the French language. I remember assuming it meant ‘sauce of champions’, and thinking, “Wow…that must be some pretty good sauce.”

8 Likes

download (1)

Don’t let anyone tell you that Hobnobs are just as good, cos they’re not.

My favourite growing up. Mars only stopped making them last year. I only found out a few weeks ago when I had a hankering and couldn’t find any.

This goes way back. I’ve looked, to no avail, for the original Doll brand instant package noodles. With flavor impregnated into the noodle bricks, NO flavor packets.

Flavor powder packets were introduced years later with the next generation. The Doll brand was the Kleenex of instant ramen. In Hong Kong, instant ramen on some menus are still referred to as Gung Jai Mein (Doll Noodles).

Will be forever grateful if someone can help me find this!

1 Like

Riviera Minestrone Soup.

Like these? https://www.walmart.com/ip/NineChef-Bundle-Doll-Instant-Noodle-Artificial-Chicken-3-63-oz-30-packs-1-NineChef-Brand-Long-Handle-Spoon/159433076?from=/search

(May be way off as I am unfamiliar with the product.)

Thanks for trying! I have that same Doll product in my cabinet already.

Hoping to find the original style and flavor, no flavor packet. Sadly, true to the title of this thread, 99.99% likelihood this food is no longer made.

2 Likes

Sorry. But you’re probably right that it’s among the many things that are gone (but not forgotten).

2 Likes

I remember liking wheatsworth!

2 Likes

5 Likes

Miss my zebra cake😦

7 Likes

You can mail order them from this store in BC: Shop South African Foods Online — Aubergine Foods.

Nabisco ruined a lot of classic recipes with that one. I tried a suggested substitute (forget which) for a chocolate mint pie and it just wasn’t the same :cry:

1 Like

Goodness- do they arrive in a full dump truck?

1 Like

Campbell’s crema de poblano soup. I think it was the best thing Campbell’s ever made. Eventually it disappeared, to my sorrow. I emailed Campbell’s about it, and they told me it’s now manufactured in Mexico and isn’t carried in the US. I did find it a while back on Amazon Mexico, but couldn’t translate whether I could get it shipped to the US, but even if I could, the shipping would likely be horrendous. I wish somebody here carried it.

2 Likes

That sounds good! Have you looked for a copy cat recipe?

ETA Aaaaa!

Did you eat as a soup? It sounds like you used it many ways, which is a great idea!

I just roasted the last of my poblanos.

I found this one

1 Like