Commercially made foods that are no longer made

Campbell’s Scotch Broth seems to have been discontinued. I loved it.

I have a recipe for a fresh apple cake that is held together with crushed Zweiback and egg. But Zweiback is no longer made.

Someone recently posted how the baloney of 50 years ago has been replaced with dozens of different things none of which make the baloney sandwiches we found in the brown paper lunch bags of our past.

What commercially made foods of the past do you miss?

5 Likes

Ambrosia sago pudding.

With raspberry jam stirred through, of course.

Zwieback is still made - maybe just not available in your local markets. Is this what you’re looking for?

https://www.amazon.com/Brandt-Zwieback-Rusk-Toast/dp/B006C0UW78/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=zwieback&qid=1701274337&sr=8-3

1 Like

This was sick food for kids in Germany. Probably still is. I can almost taste it (boring AF), and much preferred the coconut version.

3 Likes

My recipe calls for Nabisco Zweiback which is no longer made. It was slices like biscotti and I think it was for teething babies.

3 Likes

It’s just very, very dry sweet bread. I doubt there are huge differences in brands. Have you tried the Brandt brand?

1 Like

Doo Dads, that snack went away years ago.

However, I’m missing my lower teeth so I couldn’t eat them if they were back.

2 Likes

Really miss Best Foods Sandwich Spread… although I am getting closer and closer to replicating it (currently a couple spoonfuls mayo, tsp mustard, 2 tsp lemon juice, tbsp sweet relish, onion powder, dash or two Tabasco, lemon zest, paprika, salt, corn starch).

Jiffy Beef Steaks. We got to have them for dinner (while watching TV!!!) when my father wasn’t home. They were probably awful but we loved them.

1 Like

Zwieback can be purchased at stores that sell German and Dutch imports. It’s sometimes labeled as Rusks. There is a round version that can be substituted for the version that looks like toast

https://www.amazon.ca/Brandt-Zwieback-Rusk-Toast/dp/B006C0UW78

Greek karidopita calls for Zwieback. The Brandt brand and Dutch brands work for it. I live in Canada so our Nabisco products are made by Christie, and they have never made a Nabisco -style Zwieback, afaik.

The Dutch and German Zwieback is probably more “authentic” :rofl:

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Jell-O pudding pops were such a big deal. They weren’t available in Canada for very long.

The pudding in little metal cans: butterscotch, chocolate, vanilla, rice, tapioca, was very popular when I was in grade school. Esp the Laura Secord brand puddings. All the personal-sized puddings I can find in regular Canadian grocery stores now are refrigerated puddings. There are some imported canned or frozen puddings available at non- chain stores that sell imports ( is there a better concise word for ethnic stores?)

1 Like

Far from a millennial, but def born before 2000 I only recognize the strawberry flavored creme savers, which I loved as a kid. Had no idea they’d been discontinued.

Surprised to find no mention of Planters cheez curlz. Those I miss quite a bit. The cheez ballz have returned to supermarket shelves, but the curlz were far superior in texture to even kronchy cheetos (my kryptonite).

That black walnut ice cream sounds delectable.

1 Like

If you can find South African buttermilk rusks, those might work as a substitute.

1 Like

Blue Bell makes a good black walnut ice cream. Their ice cream is only available in about half the states, though:

3 Likes

OMG, we used to buy these! LOVED them! (My sister and I would pick out the peanuts and cheesy Tid-Bit crackers. LOL

Original Snapple: Carbonated Apple Juice.

Uneeda Biscuits. A box of them and a jar of peanut butter and you couldn’t starve when you pulled an all nighter.

1 Like

Studying or partying?

1 Like

1 Like