Come one Come All to Apella Eatontown NJ for the Jr Mixed Grill Challenge....9/8 Thurs 6pm

A missed opportunity IMO poor customer relations

Okay, so they may not want to hang your picture on a wall
but the fact that they did not acknowledge what transpired
at all speaks to me more than their food ever could
I have no desire to go there ever

Well in their defense the “Mixed Grill Challenge” is just something, a title, I made up. There is nothing official about it, the restaurant does not advertise nor promote this as an actual eating challenge at all. It’s really just a dare or doubt that @corvette_johnny had after eating here himself, ordering this dish and commenting that no individual let alone two could finish it.

So with that said I wouldn’t judge the restaurant too harshly.

1 Like

Yes I understand that completely
But a table of individual’s quite obviously having a great time
and documenting it IMO warrants at the very least a table visit/
acknowledgment from management

Ok, I understand your position. The only thing I will add to any of this is the fact I threatened to eat the waiters arm, when I mistakenly thought he was removing the yet unfinished mixed grill plate during one of my “breaks”, could have intimidated them.

1 Like

And this, my friend, was my favorite moment of the evening!!

1 Like

ok

Was here last week as I had to try the mixed grill which I Shared with my BW due to the “hype” established from the big event
Your assessment was spot on.
Would humbly like to add felt overall dish tad dry.
BTW Great job!

1 Like

Wow…Thank you very much!! I’m honored that my high jinks both inspired you to go to Apella and try the mixed grill -AND- to join Hungry Onion to tell us about it!! Thank you and Welcome!!! (see @hungryonion I am good for something!!!)

Just out of curiosity since your profile indicates you just joined, how did you learn of the pending challenge etc. (are you from Chow also? I don’t recognize your handle…just like to know how and where people find us)

Thanks again for the kind words and welcome once again!!

1 Like

BTW…seriously 5 Pete and Eldas? 2 wouldn’t be sufficient? Is there some kind of record already standing at 4 tee shirts so you are trying to get me to beat this? Where are you coming up with 5? Suddenly I"m the resident HO competitive food eater. lol

Learned about HO from CH…frequent reader
Few posts
Really enjoy everyone’s posts on both forums !

3 Likes

You didn’t eat the side? Oh man that was part of the challenge! HAHA! I’m kidding.

has anyone done the 911 wing challenge at cluck u?

NO!!! DO NOT GET ANY MORE BRIGHT IDEAS!!! :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Well congrats Jr. We had intended to come & witness this great event but come Thursday I totally forgot about it.

Sorry it was a really long day yesterday - meant to post.

That was one of the best HODowns I’ve ever been to! JR is awesome. He should have his own show on the food network. Curlz continues to be one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. And even though we haven’t seen each other in about ten years since we met and ate with our wives at Westlake in Matawan, JSfein and I greeted each other like old friends. It was jokes and good food and Greek waiters with “Donald Trump Huge” sausages all night.

Sorry all you other posters missed this one.

4 Likes

I think I might have an idea or two up my sleeve :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Is this the point when I publicly admit that after a year down here I (GASP) still haven’t been to Pete and Elda’s? *Curlz ducks

What? No Pete & Eldas?

Sacrilege. Go get a free t shirt.

Heck, take JR and get four !

If he just dusted off the mixed grill I think he could easily demolish 4 pies there and then do some cartwheels around the place

After first finding a suitable public facility to improve his center of gravity…

Isn’t there a Hilton down there?

1 Like

I’ve never been a big fan of the thin crust pie, so I’ve only been to P&E a few times. Now I’m curious and will have to stop in to see if I’m up to this challenge. Lol