Columbo

I like that one! I like how cool she planned and counted, and the music to go with.

“In a final (and poor) attempt to sweeten the pill, he reveals a peace offering: he’s bought Kay the new Mercedes she’s had her eye on and has personalised it just for her. “The licence plate says K#1,” he says. “Well that’s a comment from the management…Such mansplaining hardens Kay’s heart further against Mark. She pinches his gun and it’s not long before this ambitious dame has cooked up an equally ambitious and high-risk revenge plan…Monitoring her progress with a tape recorded countdown, Kay gets up to Mark’s office without being noticed. He is snoozing on his executive couch but looks up as she enters – just in time to see her produce a gun and pop a cap in his treacherous heart . Better cancel that New York trip, eh Mark?”

I don’t remember the neck adjusting scene in this youtube clip!

3 Likes

Omg! Onions!

I love LOVE Columbo! Murder Under Glass is my absolute favorite episode! How could any food & movie enthusiast not love a TV show where Louis Jourdan kills The Godfather’s Frank Pantangeli with fugu!

4 Likes

That’s the one where Spock (Leonard Nimoy) kills his nurse (Anne Francis) because she suspects him of trying to kill Grandpa from the Waltons on the operating table with dissolving suture. Yes, I’m a super fan. :relaxed:

3 Likes

Included with Amazon Prime Video

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/amzn1.dv.gti.aab67237-db0d-094c-b145-d2c29319e9cb?autoplay=1&ref_=atv_cf_strg_wb

2 Likes

I have a lot recorded but every season is on Amazon Prime and they’re the least edited. For example - the one I have recorded with Jamie Lee Curtis doesn’t show the donut part just that she had a major ‘tude.

4 Likes

This was probably evident to every Columbo fan except me, but I never could figure out how much he slipped those guys at the end of the restaurant scene in Any Old Port in a Storm. Was it $200 as a surprise or a couple bucks? Hard to tell from their faces and then they took sips. Now I just read one of the links up above and turns out it was $2. I really don’t want to think of him as a cheapskate/mooch. Learn something new here every day whether I want to or not.:slightly_smiling_face:

Here’s the scene:

1 Like

He probably that that was just about right. Remember him on the ground, looking for coins to pay for gas?

No, I don’t remember that. The best I can come up with online is this one about being outta gas. And if this scene in the episode is any indication, I can see why Columbo was finally cancelled after 35 years. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

My 2nd favorite episode.

1 Like

Having just finished nine seasons of “Suits” I’m starting Columbo from the beginning on Amazon Prime Video. I can’t guarantee complete attention. I keep something running for company and distraction from noises upstairs. Season 1, Episode 1 - Prescription Murder. Accompaniment: Triscuit Minis, Gouda, Olives, a proposal to write, and a good bit of antenna research.

Lots of bad hair on the women. Goop in men’s hair. Not impressed with the lapels on men’s suits. Peter Falk’s raincoat on the other hand is timeless.

2 Likes

I decided to re-watch all episodes since I’ve only seen them randomly over the years. First episode, first season “Murder by the Book”, 10 minutes in Columbo is whipping up an omelet for the murdered victim’s widow. Later he steals some hard candy from the dead store owner’s shop while examining the scene.

2 Likes

Season 1 episode 5 running in the background as I read in this morning and plan the rest of my day.

1 Like

Season 2, episode 8, Double Shock, the murderer hosts a TV cooking show and when Columbo drops by to question him he pulls him out of the audience and makes him his helper separating egg whites - Columbo completely hams it up for the TV audience, pretty funny scene.

3 Likes

I like that one!

1 Like

I’m into Season 5 now. Amazon Prime Video come with commercials. Apparently my digital safety is high as the commercials have absolutely nothing to do with my interests.

1 Like

Season 3, Episode 7, Swan Song. This is a classic episode with Johnny Cash playing a famous gospel singer/amateur pilot who murders his wife by parachuting out of the plane he is piloting leaving his wife to crash with it. Miraculously, he lands within 100 feet of the plane, at night in the fog, and crawls to the crash site pretending he was ejected upon crash. Columbo shows up at a backyard BBQ to question him and not having had lunch starts eating the chili. This is delicious, I’ve never tasted chili like this - it’s squirrel meat he is told.

6 Likes

You’ll never get the bones out unless you cook it down first.

2 Likes

Directed by a young Steven Spielberg. There was a street scene Spielberg filmed from high up in a building that blew Peter Falk away. He said he knew then that Spielberg was different than other directors they’d had.

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Directed by a young Jonathan Demme! (Silence of the Lambs!)

2 Likes