Cold weather food

Winter is settling in here in Upstate NY. Where I live we are been spared the many feet of snow that have fallen on Buffalo but our turn is coming. Here is recipe for a warming soup to stave off the cold.

4 Likes

Chinese hotpot is my “go to” for cold weather comestibles.

Although I am known to jack up the heat in my house and make myself a big old gelato sundae with peanut brittle and dark chocolate (95%) shavings. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I love a bowl of white menudo on a cold day.

3 Likes

Hot pot is my go-to cold weather dish, too. I make my own broth & dips, and it’s such a satisfying & fun meal. I do like my broth on the spicier side :smiling_face:

3 Likes

We’re doing hotpot for Thanksgiving this year.

It’s truly a fun and communal meal, and perfect for the crisp autumnal weather we are having here.

6 Likes

Chicken & Dumplings
Beef stew and jalapeño cheddar cornbread
Chili with all the fixings
Split pea soup with leftover Xmas ham bone
Spaghetti & meatballs, garlic bread and salad
Chinese takeout with plenty of hot mustard.

4 Likes

My Mom’s lemon pot roast or a roasted whole chicken. The lengthy cooking time of both helps warm the house and make it smell good. Best air freshener. :grin:

5 Likes

I like a curry flavor profile in parsnip soup, and in carrot soup too.

For parsnip soup I used store-bought curry powder until I ran out, and now I just use component spices (heavier on the cumin and a little garam masala).

For carrot soup, I love Chrissy Teigen’s idea using of Thai curry paste and coconut milk, topped with fried shallots or something similarly crunchy and aromatic.

Ottolenghi has a curried lentil and coconut milk soup that I also dig up around these temperatures – it tastes very firmly like a couple of indian dal dishes (sambhar, dhansak), and yet surprisingly I still enjoy it as just a soup.

Cold weather is brazing weather to me. Lamb shank osso bucco is a fave in my house. Love chinese hot pot, too.

I do the curry coconut milk thing, too. My wife adores that combo.

L:ot so soups and stews, though. The Polish chop suey season is upon us.

2 Likes

I’m the same as most people here, lots of soups and stew type dishes when it’s cold. We also love spicy foods like curries and chillies which are great at warming us up over Autumn/Winter time.

2 Likes

I like Thai red curry in the winter, I have started making my own paste from a Cookie and Kate recipe, except I use ginger since I cannot find galangal locally.

I also make veg dhansak once or twice in the season, and dal makhani once or twice.

Vegetarian chili is another must, especially easy and quick since we use canned beans.

Tagliatelle or fettucine with veg ‘bolognese’ is also popular here.

I make Punjabi kadhi which I love, the others don’t like it as much as I do. It’s odd (to me) in the summer I like South Indian morkozhambu and in the winter I like Punjabi kadhi - odd because they are both spiced buttermilk ‘stews’ (for want of a better word). I think it’s because Punjabi kadhi has heavier spicing.

6 Likes

This is a favorite cold weather recipe: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1022862-brothy-thai-curry-with-silken-tofu-and-herbs

2 Likes

Any excuse to turn the oven on. I have a a favorite shepherd’s pie recipe from the San Francisco Chronicle Cookbook II that I sometimes make for Christmas Eve. So good and hearty!

4 Likes

Meatloaf

Roast chicken on a bed of potatoes

Beef stew

3 Likes

Cold weather calls for jook (congee). Sadly, for the first time in many years, we will NOT be having jook on Friday after Thanksgiving, since we are not having a turkey this year, but rest assured, we will most definitely be having jook soon, because it’s getting cold.

5 Likes

Piping hot Oden.

Stick to the ribs Yuan Tong (mochi balls in soup).

8 Likes

I’m with you, brother :fist:

3 Likes

Cabbage soup

2 Likes

When I was in Air Force Russian school many years ago we learned the Russia student’s complaint, “shchi i kasha pisha nasha,” which loosely translates to “shchi and kasha are all we have to eat.”

2 Likes

I’d love to make that. Not sure what ham to buy though.

1 Like