Cold weather food

Gumbo, pho, ramen, a pot of soup, chicken noodle, albondigas, black eyed pea with ham and collards to name just a few.

5 Likes

Any kind of cooked ham, I think. Even bologna. I usually make a vegetarian version.

Here’s another take, a vegetarian recipe.

3 Likes

I was saying just the other day that you know it’s winter when I start making split pea & ham soup. I made a batch last week and have some in the freezer. I also like a variation with smoked Polish sausage instead of ham, though Mrs PB isn’t as keen.

3 Likes

That works, we’re in.

3 Likes

This is the total highbrow version of that '90s “diet cabbage soup” that I actually liked, but I’ll probably like this one better

2 Likes

I started making a sweet and sour cabbage soup that was posted on CH 15 years ago. I like it a lot more than the cabbage soup diet cabbage soup.

Adding vinegar, sugar and dill brightens it up.

2 Likes

Cabbage soup, made with stock from leftover Honeybaked ham bone.

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 10.32.16 AM

6 Likes

Well done!

I have heard you can buy just the bones from Honeybaked. True?

For those looking for something to warm them up during winter. try these recipes lamb biryani, butter chicken, and dal makhani.

3 Likes

true

Also fondue.

I crave paprikash, goulash and wooden plates (schnitzel, cabbage rolls, sausage, etc on a big wooden plate) in the winter.

2 Likes

Juls gumbo
Youvetsi
Pot rost
Stifado
Split pea soup
Clam chowder
Pasta Fagiola

1 Like

Cream of mushroom soup
Beef stew
Harvey’s Bristol Cream Sherry
Hot chocolate

3 Likes

Harvey’s is still around, eh. My grandma loved that stuff.

I love French onion soup when it gets cold out.

Other cold season faves:
jambalaya
etouffee
pot roast
posole
enchiladas w/homemade sauce
empanadas
goulash (Hungarian style)

If that tartiflette recipe works out, that too!

2 Likes

I made a version of Shchi tonight.

I’ve been posting various recipes on this SLAVIC - Fall 2021 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter thread.

3 Likes