Classic Indian Cooking Cookbook Review

Hi Everyone,

So my husband isn’t good at figuring what I want gift wise.

I do drop subtle hints the problem is that he has that “selective male hearing” issue.
The Doctor says that he’s not a candidate for hearing aids.

So I’m turning to my HO family for help.

What does everyone think of this book?

Has anyone cooked from it and possibly have any recipe recommendations, tips and tricks?

I want to know if this book is shelf worthy.

TIA

51wYq8VJ4oL.SX344_BO1,204,203,200

That was one of the first Indian cookbooks I purchased. It’s a good cookbook with lots of cooking instruction in it which is what I think is its main strength. I don’t use it very much anymore, but I still have it.

2 Likes

Yes, that book is a keeper. The recipes are reliable, and the techniques are well-explained. The flavors are excellent, and many of the dishes that are familiar from Indian restaurants in the U.S. are represented. If you like literate, authentic cookbooks with nifty hand-drawn illustrations, you will like this book.

2 Likes

I agree, This would be my description of the book too. This is a solid cookbook, but there are more up to date books available that deliver great results for a wider range of dishes and ingredients are more easily available nowadays.

That said, JS’ Dal Makhani recipe is my tried-and-true go-to version. Simplest ingredients and best results.

3 Likes

I have it, I’ve used it, and I like it. I also have a second book of hers, Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking, which I have also used and also like. But a number of years ago, we went to a restaurant of hers in Manhattan. I do not know to what degree she was involved in the restaurant, but we didn’t like it.

It would be interesting to know what @Saregama thinks.

1 Like