Christmas 2023

Are you having a lot of people for your meal? That’s a big bird. At this point, I wouldn’t be able to lift it in and out of the oven. Low and slow would be my approach. It doesn’t have to look like a Norman Rockwell picture. When I was working, I think I had Venn diagrams to help me do the dance around the Thanksgiving dinner. Hope you have a delicious holiday!

Did you roast low & slow method?
strong text
There will probably be 7 of us at the table; my only relative here is my daughter. I’m in San Francisco, other relatives are in Texas so close friends are invited.

Since some friends are busy with their families, they are looking forward to some leftovers in the following days. I think they will taste just as good.

Even though they are a pain to peel, I like to put sliced fresh water chestnutsin my stuffing … they stay crunchy. I drove about 15 minutes away to a big Chinese grocery and they were out. Called first, drove to another place and got nice ones, not prepackaged!

4 Likes

I have a Nesco countertop roaster - it has a lid. I cooked a big turkey in it one year because I only have one oven and needed it for other things. That was the biggest bird ever and it came out very tender but didn’t have crispy skin. You can’t have everything…

3 Likes

I wrote up a schedule, I’m a little behind but it’ll work out.

I’m counting on help to get it out of the oven, drain the juices into a fat separator.

Even though people usually don’t want salad, I’m making a center platter with quartered Little Gem lettuces, radishes (couldn’t find the pretty French ones!) cukes and fresh Buttermilk Ranch made with the packet, mayo, buttermilk, sour cream.) I’ll try to post a photo afterward.

9 Likes

I always needed a timetable - even to the point of putting out serving platters/dishes with labels on them to remind me where to put what where. I’m a lot older now, and looking back on all of the planning, work, energy that went into Thanksgiving and Christmas it’s hard to believe I did all of that.

7 Likes

My taste buds improved a great deal today. I could discern two different sweet tastes in a See’s chocolate covered toffee nugget today. Yay! I also could taste the horseradish in the horseradish sauce I made today. On the mend…that was two weeks to the day.

15 Likes

You’ve given me hope…I’m looking forward to opening our See’s box tomorrow night. The Nuts and Chews have been an annual treat ever since DH bought some when he was on a business trip in the 80’s. They are an indispensable part of Christmas for us.

9 Likes

I added shrimp, substituted Cognac for Irish whisky. Really good. I cut back on the cream in a big way. More like 1/2 cup of cream added to 4 tbsp Cognac : Seafood mixture for the amount of lobster we had (2 small lobsters and 10 medium shrimp)

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dublin-lawyer-recipe-recipe-1945930

11 Likes

my daughter has a good friend named sunshine. did she go to a private high school in princeton?

No… Sunshine is a nickname I gave her because she isn’t a morning person, whereas I am.
Initially, it was an ongoing joke, but the nickname kind of stuck.

3 Likes

See’s candies in one form or another has been a piece of our Christmas celebrations since my early childhood. My great aunt brought us a box one Christmas and my mother kept the empty box and repurposed it for her spools of thread. Everytime we needed thread, we were treated to that wonderful chocolate scent. I hope your taste buddies show up fully, soon. I think I’m at 50%.

6 Likes

I read an interesting article in The Guardian this morning written by a man who lost his sense of smell (and taste) because of Covid. I spent a good amount of time reading a lot of reader comments. I’ve always had a highly sensitive sense of smell and taste. But haven’t noticed diminished smell with this. So hard to figure out. I’m just hoping I get more of my tastebuds back working.

6 Likes

Me, too. Among some I am called ‘The Canary’. Smell is currently okay, though. I could tell when the gingerbread cookies we done when the timer failed today.

4 Likes

We’re invited to friends’ tonight. Our contributions will be a bottle of Soave (one of the more famous versions) and a Spanish rioja that tastes remarkably like cranberries:

Then I’ve made potatoes and ham au gratin (some shallot Bourbon and Parm Regg in there… pretty hopeful for this one). Pre baking:

Cranberry, apple, dried fruit and shallot-onion relish to go with roast beef:

King Arthur milk rolls (currently proofing; the dough is quite sticky and I hope that’s normal @biondanonima? I weighed everything)

And a cranberry curd pie in pecan crust for dessert (with homemade whipped cream):

I might also make some Velveeta Mac for the kiddos.

17 Likes

It all looks/sounds great but that cranberry curd pie is GORGEOUS!!

6 Likes

Mine was pretty sticky too while kneading - I had to knead in the KA for quite a bit longer than the recipe suggested to get it to smooth out. Are you doing your bulk ferment now or are they shaped?

1 Like

Boursin…not bourbon. I think autocorrect knows me a little too well. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

12 Likes

I just shaped them :crossed_fingers:t2:

They were less sticky after a bit more kneading. But def a soft, well-hydrated dough!

2 Likes

Yuvetsi, salad, pie, wine. All lovely, and the company of friends even better.

11 Likes

Christmas morning:
Mulled apple cider
Poached egg with sauteed spinach, thin fried pork chop and Hollandaise, on pumpkin seed- cranberry toast

Elevensies :
Mince tart from a family friend
Peppermint bark from my cousin
Party mix.

Taking a nap while the goose thaws a little more :smile:

Any ideas for goose innards other then pâté/ terrine/ stuffing? There are more than I anticipated and I don’t want to make stuffing since I’m making potato dumplings. TIA!

7 Likes