Chowhound archive and most memorable posts

@MelMM @sallyt @LulusMom1 @Nannybakes @MidwesternerTT @mig and others (please reply & tag in folks) – I just experimented with using the wayback machine for batch processing a few “favorites” threads and it worked reasonably well so I’m trying to do some more.

Perhaps we could consolidate efforts (in these last few days) to archive threads we think should be preserved (or have bookmarked ourselves) – for me there were several collection threads that were great (COTM repeats, favorites of the year, and so on), but also individual DOTM threads, monthly baking threads, and so on.

I can start a shared spreadsheet for others to add to if you think a group effort makes sense for preservation.

3 Likes

@Saregama - While I kept a few threads in a personal copy, I’m not planning to utilize “wayback”. On rereading the ones I chose, there’s 30 % - 50% excess, unrelated or now-obsolete comments. CH was wonderful as a live site; I’m skeptical about whether any of us will feel compelled to use thread copies that get saved. (Ask me in a year whether I regret this choice…)

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t have a lot of spare time right now. LLD is away and I’m only just back in town myself, so I’m playing catch up. I’m sorry.

I’m just so sad about CH’s demise. Lulu grew up during the years I’ve been active, and there are so many memories in the most random threads. Those little memory jostles have been fun to run across through the years. I’ll miss that a lot.

4 Likes

Saragama…I did not save anything, hangs head in shame!

Do you have good instructions for how to do it? I’ve saved personal content from the DOTM and COTM threads. I am short on time but might be able to do a little. At this point, I’d be interested in saving some of the non-COTM “cooking from” threads. When I’ve been to the wayback I’ve found it very difficult to find specific threads, so that is why I have not concentrated my efforts there. I’ve been focused on saving my own posts and on getting COTM going over here.

@melmm - how are you saving your own posts?

@nannybakes - it doesn’t close until 3/28

I am just copying and pasting into a Word document. Not including pictures because I can find them on my computer later (they are well organized). So I’m doing one document for each thread, then just copying and pasting my text with the date of the post. The date is important for me, since that is how I will later find the pics that went with the post. It’s tedious work, especially since the CH site has been very, very glitchy the past week.

3 Likes

That’s a really good idea.

Thank you , sallyt, but I’ve decided just to move ahead. The CH site is just too difficult to deal with, but thanks for thinking of me.

One of my all time favorite CH threads, that made me lol over and over before lol was even an acronym, was the funny dining stories thread. It was looong, and I recall beauties like the chef coming out of the kitchen chasing the staff with a knife as part of a disagreement, or the man asking the diner waitress what the soup de jour was, and her answering “why it’s the soup of the day sugar.” Anyone recall that one?

2 Likes

Just in case anyone is wondering I now have Ricepad’s permission to post his quote:

3 Likes

Thanks Olunia,

Is ricepad a member here?

1 Like

Yep, @ricepad is here, somewhere. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a Steve that has the username of Ricepad…hoping he is the one. Quite a sense of humour on ricepad glad that he is here!

This is not a ‘one hit wonder’ for ricepad he is just an all around funny guy. I love reading his posts.

2 Likes

Are we supposed to be able to access archived posts? I get to the Internet Archive but can’t access any of the post from CH COTMS.

@riley try this link:

There is a Google sheet that lists all CH COTM topics and URLs posted by @MelMM using the Internet Wayback Machine cached links. Truly an amazing feat to gather all that info. :heart:

Digging deeper into the CH threads to see what was posted after the start of each COTM might take a bit more sleuthing, as the IWM may not have caught everything.

2 Likes

The problem I’ve run into with the archives I saved was that the comments are no longer loading, so they’re useless.

I’ve tried a few of the threads I saved, which showed as successfully archived, but it’s the same issue.

Hope some of these fare better.

2 Likes

That’s what I was finding as well. I thought I read that someone had figured out a way around that. Cant find the comment now.

Yeah, when I made the COTM spreadsheet, I tried to make sure that that the Wayback links included comments and that subthreads opened, but they have mostly stopped working for me, too.

I find it odd that they stopped working, because I had checked them after archiving, and reran the ones that didn’t work, but most of them did work. So frustrating, I would have spent that time copying over my notes instead.

3 Likes